keeperovdeflame

Fooling around with a chicken cook

I am doing a spatchcocked chicken with some veggies, oranges, and fresh figs tonight. Just kind of playing with flavors to see what happens. I made a mixture of Ouzo and a fruity extra virgin olive oil called Arbequina. I soaked some mandarin orange slices in the Ouzo and then pushed them under the chickens skin on the breast. I rubbed the outer skin down with the oil and Ouzo mixture and sprinkled on a rub of minced greek oregano, thyme, garlic, and dried onion. Plan to put the chicken on the grill with a the pan of mixed veggies later this afternoon. I will post my results. I can tell you the combination of herbs, oranges, oil and Ouzo sure smells fresh and good. For those who may not know, Ouzo is a Greek liquor that has a licorice like flavor. Potent stuff, but used in cooking the alcohol goes up in vapor leaving the flavor essence. 

IMG_0535.thumb.jpeg.c26d804a4542968b8b59756969109f4a.jpeg

That's quite an experiment. Butt I can't see what could possibly go wrong! 

I hope you married a gymnast with all that curiosity! 

All joking aside, I am no licorice flavor fan but that doesn't mean your creation might taste fabulous even to me. Please keep us posted as to how it comes out. 

5 minutes ago, Scott Roberts said:

@keeperovdeflame that looks to be a great chicken cook about to happen, for me I would switch the oranges with lemons!:-D

Scott

Yeah that's where I would be naturally, but my wife really finds lemons too tart. I have a cook book by OttoLenghi where he cooks chicken with fennel, grappa (greek liquor) and clementine oranges. I found out 2 things when I tried it, 1. my wife loved oranges with chicken 2. and the flavor of the dish IMO was amazing. So I have been using oranges with both chicken and fish ever since. I even use them in the brine for ThanksGiving turkey and roast a few beside the bird on the grill. Sounds different but tastes wonderful IMO. 

Chicken came out great; crisp skin, moist flesh, both dark and white meat moist and juicy. Pulled it at 165 in the breast. 

IMG_0537.thumb.jpeg.2e55bdc3f9de28647c0b0258363ae4ef.jpeg

The orange slices under the skin on the breast worked great. The breast meat had a really nice orange / Ouzo flavor which was very Greek and very pleasing. If someone in the future asks me to cook Greek chicken, this will probably be the way I do it. It was so nicely done that the bone pulled out of the thigh when I tried to pick it up by the legs. I pieced it together for the pic. I will definitely repeat the orange slices under the skin as well as the Ouzo / Orange flavor combination. 

IMG_0538.thumb.jpeg.ab94dd153eb606496f8845e062b0d20f.jpeg

In addition, the potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, orange wedges, and fresh  figs tasted great in the orange, chicken broth,  and Ouzo juice. . Very nice meal to be sure. Chicken salad and chicken sandwiches in the future. 

IMG_0539.jpeg

2 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

Great looking meal. How strong was the licorice taste? I like licorice, but my wife doesn't.

Great question. This is a fascinating cook! I have seen many putting citrus in boils but I hadn't thought of it for brine. 

12 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

Great looking meal. How strong was the licorice taste? I like licorice, but my wife doesn't.

I used 2 Tbs of ouzo and mixed it with the olive oil for a rub which I dressed the chicken with before setting it in the fridge to air dry uncovered for two hours. For the cook, I  added 2 more Tbs to the chicken broth, in the pan. As the cook progressed I added more chicken broth as I lost liquid to evaporation. The juice was a nice blended combination of chicken, orange, and Ouzo and there really wasn't a dominate or overpowering flavor. The orange provides acid which promotes a bright clean taste like lemon does but without the tartness. 

8 hours ago, lnarngr said:

Great question. This is a fascinating cook! I have seen many putting citrus in boils but I hadn't thought of it for brine. 

My turkey or poultry brine is a combination of apple cider, orange juice, fine sea salt, and honey with fresh thyme, oregano, sage, and orange slices. 

10 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

My turkey or poultry brine is a combination of apple cider, orange juice, fine sea salt, and honey with fresh thyme, oregano, sage, and orange slices. 

How much of each if you were doing a brine of a 12 to 15lb bird?

Scott

)

1 hour ago, Scott Roberts said:

How much of each if you were doing a brine of a 12 to 15lb bird?

Scott

One and a half cups of Sea Salt, and honey, 2 1/2 cups orange juice, and then enough apple cider to fully cover the bird. I heat a large sauce pan filled with apple cider and dissolve the salt and honey. I combine this with the rest of the apple cider and OJ which is at 35 degrees straight out of the fridge. I also add a bundle of fresh thyme, oregano, and sage, and two oranges sliced.  I did a 13 lb bird last year and a 15 lb the year before with the same recipe. I use a tall square food safe plastic bin that was originally designed to hold salted fish, but was never used for that purpose.  The turkey stands on the neck end with it's legs up. If I take one of the shelves out of my garage fridge, the square bin fits perfectly and stays at a consistent 35 degrees during the 24 hr brining process. I started using this method about 4 years ago and the family loves it. The Brine is actually a modified version of a brine recipe Adam Perry Lang used to brine a bone in pork roast. 

36 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

One and a half cups of Sea Salt, and honey, 2 1/2 cups orange juice, and then enough apple cider to fully cover the bird. I heat a large sauce pan filled with apple cider and dissolve the salt and honey. I combine this with the rest of the apple cider and OJ which is at 35 degrees straight out of the fridge. I also add a bundle of fresh thyme, oregano, and sage, and two oranges sliced.  I did a 13 lb bird last year and a 15 lb the year before with the same recipe.

Going to try this for Thanksgiving for sure, have done the Kikkoman brine before like very much but this sounds great!

Thanks'

Scott

On 7/11/2019 at 4:10 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

a fruity extra virgin olive oil called Arbequina

Interesting you mentioned that. The last 2 bottles of EVOO I bought was Arbequina. A nice mild EVOO. 

Great minds think alike. 

BTW great cook. 

38 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Interesting you mentioned that. The last 2 bottles of EVOO I bought was Arbequina. A nice mild EVOO. 

Great minds think alike. 

BTW great cook. 

Yeah, I really like it, no sharp edges, light, and fruity. Very nice flavor profile IMO. The Arbequina oil I purchased was processed by California Olive Ranch reserve line. I will definitely buy it again.