bel4_20

Pizza ovens Gas vs wood fired

As I continue to do some reading up on pizza ovens for a near future purchase I see gas and wood fired ovens in my mind wood fired would be best but i see many using propane fired is there a clear choice here? or is it personal preference? or ?

Gas is going to be quicker and easier but a true Wood Fired Oven is where the fun (and challange) is at. 

If you good true wood fired 30" inside diameter at the minimum. 42" would be better. 

I have been looking at outdoor wood fired (pizza) ovens for quite some time.  I have a friend that has one, and I have learned that, like a kamado, they are amazingly versatile in that you can cook almost anything in them. Lately I have been looking more seriously and actually have a tentative plan. You can find ovens like the Fornobravo that,  with the addition of an add on burner, give you the best attributes  of both Gas and Wood Fired ovens.  With ovens like these you can cook on straight gas or  wood, with the benefit of being able to use the gas to start a wood fire. Living in the fire country in a high desert mountain town, I face fire restrictions each year. During restrictions I can cook on gas but can not use an oven or BBQ with fuel that produces an ash. Therefore a good wood fired oven with the addition of a gas burner is perfect for me. It seems to me, after looking at a lot of ovens, that more and more companies are offering the gas burner option in ovens that can also  burn wood as the primary fuel. 

https://www.fornobravo.com/product-series/home-gas-pizza-oven/

1 hour ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I have been looking at outdoor wood fired (pizza) ovens for quite some time.  I have a friend that has one, and I have learned that, like a kamado, they are amazingly versatile in that you can cook almost anything in them. Lately I have been looking more seriously and actually have a tentative plan. You can find ovens like the Fornobravo that,  with the addition of an add on burner, give you the best attributes  of both Gas and Wood Fired ovens.  With ovens like these you can cook on straight gas or  wood, with the benefit of being able to use the gas to start a wood fire. Living in the fire country in a high desert mountain town, I face fire restrictions each year. During restrictions I can cook on gas but can not use an oven or BBQ with fuel that produces an ash. Therefore a good wood fired oven with the addition of a gas burner is perfect for me. It seems to me, after looking at a lot of ovens, that more and more companies are offering the gas burner option in ovens that can also  burn wood as the primary fuel. 

https://www.fornobravo.com/product-series/home-gas-pizza-oven/

That would be the best of both worls for sure! 

I’ve been lusting after a pizza party Ardore for a while now. From what I’ve read on pizza making forum most people seem to prefer gas where it’s an option - it tastes exactly the same as a well made wood fire but is quicker and easier by a big margin. 

I guess a lot would come down to how many you were cooking for too - if I was looking at doing four or five pies at a time the convenience of gas would be a big draw. 

4 hours ago, &roid said:

I’ve been lusting after a pizza party Ardore for a while now. From what I’ve read on pizza making forum most people seem to prefer gas where it’s an option - it tastes exactly the same as a well made wood fire but is quicker and easier by a big margin. 

I guess a lot would come down to how many you were cooking for too - if I was looking at doing four or five pies at a time the convenience of gas would be a big draw. 

See thats another reason taste! I would be worried that gas just wont have the flavor 

I understand @keeperovdeflame's reasoning behind gas. When fire ban goes into effect fire up the gas and you have a very capable outdoor oven.

But gas does take the fun/challanging aspect away. The fun part of a Wood Fired Oven is playing with and taming live fire. I think some of you are missing this concept. 

At 700*+ there would be no taste difference. The taste you get from a Wood Fired Oven at those temperatures is from the lepording (is that even a word?) not from burning wood and you'd get lepording with gas. Where the taste difference comes into play is at lower temperatures with longer cook times. 

Since we're talking about this up on the menu for lunch today is Bronx Bombers in the Wood Fired Oven. Almost time to fire it up and get it preheated B)

Yeah, I agree with that and am looking to fuel the oven with wood as much as I can, and only use gas when I want pies or to cook something else  during fire restriction.  I already learned from my  friend in Nor Cal, how to stack wood for a fire and then how to bank and  spread the coals to cause the fire to spread over  the inside of the dome and above the pie. There is quite a bit of art to it for sure. 

Very nice oven and setting. Lunch looks delicious. I actually like cooking things other than pizza in the Wood Fired Oven. They are just fun to cook in. 

22 hours ago, ckreef said:

Very nice oven and setting. Lunch looks delicious. I actually like cooking things other than pizza in the Wood Fired Oven. They are just fun to cook in. 

If I remember correctly that's chared squid and veggies, very light and delicious. My friend is a very accomplished cook and does a number of Med style cooks in his WFO. He also cooks in his fire place. 

On 7/14/2019 at 4:34 PM, ckreef said:

Your going to have so much fun when you get it.

Just a couple teaser pictures. Getting "Fired" up for lunch today - LOL 

bbl1.thumb.jpg.42d5a7995663438bbc2f3f68d9de34cc.jpg

bbl2.thumb.jpg.83fa75ae268685d48b1ef9d7f0424394.jpg

CKReef, 

I remember when you took delivery of this beauty. What was the brand name of it again? Do you have a picture of the entire unit set up? It looks like you are getting good use out of it.

Thanks,

dh14ster

16 hours ago, dh14ster said:

CKReef, 

I remember when you took delivery of this beauty. What was the brand name of it again? Do you have a picture of the entire unit set up? It looks like you are getting good use out of it.

Thanks,

dh14ster

Here is a link to where I bought it. 

https://authenticpizzaovens.com/products/authentic-stone-pizzaioli-oven

updatedporch.thumb.jpg.5f8baef78c0fae081f1b416c04b3d2fd.jpg

On 7/12/2019 at 7:17 PM, bel4_20 said:

As I continue to do some reading up on pizza ovens for a near future purchase I see gas and wood fired ovens in my mind wood fired would be best but i see many using propane fired is there a clear choice here? or is it personal preference? or ?

do you have any brands or models in mind?  @keeperovdeflame & @ckreef have given you a lot of excellent info and points.

I had the Uuni Pro an CK convinced me to opt for the gas burner and man was i glad that i took that advice!  the Uuni (and Roccbox) are not insulated like the big ovens so the propane is MUCH easier to maintain a steady temp.  The downside is they cook well at EXTREMELY hot but lower temp, not so much.

i was going to look at gas ovens when upgrading to a bigger but @bosco convinced me to opt for wood and man am i glad that i took that advice!   The insulation in the bigger oven sure makes temp control/management SO MUCH easier.

Pretty obvious that CK and i love the fire-management and cooking process as-much-as (if not a bit more than) the final product so wood enhances that imo.

If you are more looking to set a dial and focus less on that part and more on the cooking then gas is surely the way to go.