just4fn

17.5 full brisket time.

10 hours ago, arclite said:

... People are eating a lot of undercooked briskets if they think 205 is the magic number.

I resemble that remark, so I'll comment a little. 

205 F is the goal for my brisket process. It's one part of an overall process that insures the meat spends many hours with an internal temperature above 195 and an external temperature below 210, typically about 1/3 of the total cooking time. I love the Kamado, because with a 230 F fire, I just shut the vents when the meat hits 195 and let the grill cool as the meat peaks. They cross at 205, and it's impressive how low the grill temp can get before the meat starts to drop. 

I also use foil to collect fluids, and protect the meat. At 165-170, I wrap but leave the sides open, then seal it up at 205 for the rest period. About 8' of wide, heavy-duty foil, double layer, wrapped around the long dimension and sealed so the sides are open, but the meat is tented while the fire's burning. The fire's out during the rest. 

In my experience, it's heat soak that makes for tender brisket, and foil that makes for juicy brisket. YMMV.

11 hours ago, arclite said:

... there isn't enough energy for a 15-20lb brisket to carryover cook ...

Absolutely true. When smoking, it's not about carryover, but rather heat soak (time at temperature). 

Have fun,

Frank

I'm not a fan of foil wraps during the cook, as the brisket can end up with a pot roast taste. If I wrap during the cook it's butcher paper. I also go by color of the bark when wrapping, regardless of the stall. Often I don't wrap at all if the bark looks good. 

10 hours ago, arclite said:

I'm not a fan of foil wraps during the cook, as the brisket can end up with a pot roast taste. If I wrap during the cook it's butcher paper. I also go by color of the bark when wrapping, regardless of the stall. Often I don't wrap at all if the bark looks good. 

You know,  I even said mine tasted like pot roast which is way easier to cook.  I haven't tasted that many briskets and thought maybe that's how its suppose to taste. Next brisket I'm not going to wrap.  

I find brisket has a unique taste. Cook it like pot roast and it will still taste like brisket... bland brisket, but brisket nonetheless. 

How you foil matters. Foil the way I see Aaron Franklin using butcher paper, and you're wasting your money on foil. Flipping the meat while wrapping makes for a leaky wrap... and that's one goal of paper wrap. 

I have different goals. 

- use the good stuff... extra wide, heavy duty

- use enough of it, about 5x the length of a brisket, 8-10 ft. 

- fold in half so it's double layer 4-5 ft

- at about 165-170 F, put the brisket in the middle, long sides aligned.

- bring ends together above the brisket and fold together to seal. 

- leave the sides open - form a little cave -  but bend up the bottom a little so fluids don't leak. 

... finish cooking. I like 200-205 F with a long dwell time there. 

- close up the sides when the brisket enters the rest phase, to hold in heat. 

This gets me several things. Juice is the most obvious. A wonderful, thick, unctuous jelly full of gelatin and rub. Slower cooking isn't as obvious; evaporation from the meat cools the air under the foil, but open sides prevent steam collection. It may only be much cooler, but that's enough to prevent braising. This approach won't help a long stall, and may prolong it, although it can be hard to tell when a stall is about to end. It will also soften the bark on the bottom... but not the top, since that's open. 

I read a lot here, learned a lot, tried a lot of things. This works for me. 

Have fun,

Frank