Smokingdadbbq

Beef Ribs!!! Why did I wait so long?

38 minutes ago, lnarngr said:

That looks great! Did you cook the cornbread in the egg as well? 

Thanks. No that’s the only thing that wasn’t in the egg. 

I’ve done it before and it’s been great.  With the ribs, chicken and Mac and cheese going my lovely wife took on the bread and salad 

4 hours ago, Smokingdadbbq said:

Thanks, just won it on Instagram in a contest from a local bbq store 

Totally Boss Apron! Chainsaw Massacre Surplus! 

11 hours ago, RVA Smoker said:

I have some in my freezer that I need to do as well. How did you cook these?

very similar to brisket, first I salt brined them uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours before rubbing with franks buffalo hot sauce as a binder and adding a few layers of rub.

First coat was my own rub (50% pepper, rest is garlic, onion powder, paprika, cyan, and celery seed) for a savoury base.  Second coat was a dusting of Slap Yo Mamma hot cajun rub and third was a dusting of Hardcore carnivore black rub for a little help on the darkness.  Not to much as I had already salted and I find this rub salty if added to meat thats already been seasoned.  Lastly a sprinkle of my homemade umami powder which is just dried porchnini and ####aki mushrooms in the blender along with more garlic powder and some more course black pepper 

Once cooked the hot sauce, and hot rubs etc. dissipate into a really great flavour that nobody complains about being spicy including my 6 and 11 year old kids.  Lots of character that guests describe as crazy delicious but then ask, what is that? as nobody can put their finger on any one ingredient

This was my first one so I followed some reading and video's advice to smoke between 275-300 and the on the line said they will be done in 4-6 hours.  I wasn't anywhere close to being done at 4-5 hours so I wrapped in butchers paper and started praying they'd be done somewhere close to a reasonable hour to eat lol.

I smoked with cherry and hickory wood and put about 4-5 chunks on the grate before adding charcoal and then added a piece or two throughout the cook, after about an hour I sprayed the meat with water to help keep it moist and did that about every hour until wrapping.

I'm just going to say it, I think these are my new favourite low and slow beef and I can't wait to do them again