KJ Kevin

Looking at the 500lb. big Joe III - too heavy?

I finally convinced myself that the Big Joe 24” grill size is the way to go. But, at 500lbs I worry that it’s too heavy to move around my patio with ease and without breaking tiles. I have 1’ X 2’ Tiles with 1/4” grout lines. As big as it is, how realistic is it to move this beast around the patio or do I need to find a spot and park it?  Also, KJ support says it takes 3 people to set it up. Is that correct? 

3 minutes ago, KJ Kevin said:

I finally convinced myself that the Big Joe 24” grill size is the way to go. But, at 500lbs I worry that it’s too heavy to move around my patio with ease and without breaking tiles. I have 1’ X 2’ Tiles with 1/4” grout lines. As big as it is, how realistic is it to move this beast around the patio or do I need to find a spot and park it?  Also, KJ support says it takes 3 people to set it up. Is that correct? 

That grill does't weigh 500lbs.  Taht's the shipping weight

Good point.  I should have included the support email. Here is what KJ said...

Thank you for reaching out to us about our grill. Yes, the unit weights that much. You should get 3 people to help you. I cannot confirm that the grill will roll on your patio with ease. Also, as of right now we do not white glove deliver. If you have any further questions let me know.

Person 1: Holds the dome open by the handle.
Person 2: Grabs the base from the inside of the base through to the draft door.
Person 3: Holds the base at the gasket, by the hinge.

21 minutes ago, KJ Kevin said:

Good point.  I should have included the support email. Here is what KJ said...

Thank you for reaching out to us about our grill. Yes, the unit weights that much. You should get 3 people to help you. I cannot confirm that the grill will roll on your patio with ease. Also, as of right now we do not white glove deliver. If you have any further questions let me know.

Person 1: Holds the dome open by the handle.
Person 2: Grabs the base from the inside of the base through to the draft door.
Person 3: Holds the base at the gasket, by the hinge.

The Big Joe 2 weighs something like 285.  Kamado Joe is giving you incorrect information.  The Big Joe 3 does not weigh 500lbs.  Tell them I told you that if you like.  They even have bad weights published on their website.  

Very interesting.  You’re right.  I’ve also seen that 285lb weight for the BJ2. I’m going to send another email to them for further clarification.  I thought 500lbs sounded way to heavy for a grill. . 

I can't see the III weighing more than 300 lbs, at the most. With the wheels spreading out the weight, I doubt you would have any trouble moving the grill about, as long as you kept the force low on the grill, they are a little top heavy when moved.

Woodworking and metal working guys move 1000# machines around on mobile bases all the time. I can't imagine that KJ cheaped out on casters for their kamados so, I'm sure that they are up to the task. Given that, you only really have to worry about any uneven ground and the fact that kamados in general are top heavy. A large, heavy-duty, caster would help with uneven ground like the tiles you describe so, that might be something you look at prior to loading the base up with the ceramic egg. Like has been stated I highly doubt the actual weight of the egg is anything close to 500#'s. I lifted both my Pit Boss K24 and my Vision Classic B into the base by myself so, I'me sure (2) able bodied adults could handle the BJIII.

As John suggested, I questioned KJ support again about the weight. Here was the reply:

Kevin,
The generation III model is around 500 lbs fully assembled. The other generations have different weights.

Shavon

how could gen 3 be 200lbs more than gen 2?  It just doesn’t sound right. 

I’m thinking about putting my Big Joe in a table but lifting it is the concern. Then I started looking for options and found flower pot lifting straps online, some are rated to 300+ pounds and are made for lifting massive ceramic pots. That’s what I’d use. 

7 hours ago, Mr Cue said:

I’m thinking about putting my Big Joe in a table but lifting it is the concern. Then I started looking for options and found flower pot lifting straps online, some are rated to 300+ pounds and are made for lifting massive ceramic pots. That’s what I’d use. 

Owners of Komodo Kamado Table Top models lift there grills onto or into stands all the time and they are a good bit heavier then KJ's. KK supplies a lifting strap arrangement for their 22" Table Top model. 

Flower pot straps would probably work. You could then either rent an engine hoist or use two 2x4's with 4 people to lift with the straps. 

When you get to the point of putting it in a table pm me for some more details. 

12 hours ago, KJ Kevin said:

As John suggested, I questioned KJ support again about the weight. Here was the reply:

Kevin,
The generation III model is around 500 lbs fully assembled. The other generations have different weights.

Shavon

That information from Kamado Joe is grossly incorrect.

I have a Big Joe II.  I roll it around a wooden deck with ½″ gaps between uneven boards.  It’s somewhat difficult, but possible.  Larger castor wheels would be a welcome addition.

I suspect that your situation would be similar, if not easier.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, KJ Kevin said:

Kevin,

Shavon

Well, the series 3 is larger than the series 2 and has more stuff in it, so i can imagine it would be heavier overall, but i still doubt its 500lbs

Good to hear Brandon. Do you think my petite wife will be strong enough to help set it up or do I need to call a buddy.