KJ Kevin

Looking at the 500lb. big Joe III - too heavy?

28 minutes ago, KJ Kevin said:

Good to hear Brandon. Do you think my petite wife will be strong enough to help set it up or do I need to call a buddy. 

You need two really really stout people but I highly recommend 3 people.

Definitely call a buddy. It is heavy. Not 500lbs but still heavy. Wear gloves. One person grabs at the lower vent and the other grabs right at the bottom of the hinge assembly. And you should be alright. 

boxed big joe 2 on a 40x48 pallet is just under 500 lbs. shipping weight, 

boxed big joe 3 on a 40x48 pallet is just over 500 lbs. shipping weight,

we put them on our shipping scale some time back.  I talked to the guys about weighing them empty (base, dome, hinge) to get an idea what weight folks are moving to get the grill set-up. Just gotta find time to do it......maybe make a video on it, compare to other grills and such.

45 minutes ago, tjv said:

boxed big joe 2 on a 40x48 pallet is just under 500 lbs. shipping weight, 

boxed big joe 3 on a 40x48 pallet is just over 500 lbs. shipping weight,

we put them on our shipping scale some time back.  I talked to the guys about weighing them empty (base, dome, hinge) to get an idea what weight folks are moving to get the grill set-up. Just gotta find time to do it......maybe make a video on it, compare to other grills and such.

this is some good info, would really like to know what the empty vessel weight is on these. I was able to lift the classic into the cart pretty easily but not sure I could manage the big joe.

btw love your store, wish you shipped the KJBB charcoal!!

I'm a retired auto tech and I wrestled with heavy engines and engine parts for 40 years and I must interject here that I think it's wrong to encourage folks who have no experience moving heavy objects that two people can move a 300+lb cooker around without too much trouble and that in doing so are doing them a disservice.

My wife and I had the fight of our lives loading, unloading, and putting together my Pitboss 24.

It was close to more than we could safely do without damaging it or ourselves.

If I knew then what I know now I would have hired movers or not bought it at all.

It's out on my screen porch now but If I ever sell this house it's going to have to stay put, no way I would try to move it again.

Perhaps age is the limiting factor as I am near 70 now, but in any case be warned folks these things are way too heavy to blithely toss off as a two person job.

I would call it do-able with two people if you're just transferring it to a cart, but with three it's a breeze.  I had my two brothers come by to help with lifting the Big Joe III onto the cart, and it was really easy with all three of us.  why strain yourself with just one other person?  better to avoid risking an injury if you can

Three people works pretty well, with two supporting most of the weight and the third guiding and making sure there are no "oops" moments. This sucker is just girthy and not cheap to replace.

It helps that the cart is shipped in a separate box, so you don't have to do the initial lift to free the cart that videos of the BJ2 showed. Don't forget to lock those casters. :)

I had to move my BJ3 to the backyard patio. I have one of those gorilla carts which worked like a champ, but again it was good to have 3 guys--one to pull and one on either side to stabilize during the move.

I just got my Big Joe III delivered a few days ago.  I had two big concerns regarding the weight - my driveway is sloped, and I'm putting it on a deck.

The FedEx guy had no problem controlling the pallet down the driveway, and once I got it all unboxed by friend and I were able to move it using potted plant moving straps out to the deck with no problems either (it was heavy, but manageable).

Once on the cart the 3 rolls with ease. The casters are very smooth to roll. Get 2 other friends and you will be ok. Its definitely heavy and awkward but managable. My bother and I lifted my III. 

Whoever is telling you that weight is going by the shipping weight with the pallet, crate, grill, nest, etc. all included.

My BJ II was delivered a week ago and the net weight per the LTL delivery ticket was like 465 lbs. and I think they even figured heavy with that. I do know the packaging all-in I carried out back and burned. The main shipping pallet was 45 lbs.+/- alone, plus wood crate top and bottom, 4-walled cardboard surround, and even 10-15 pounds in styrofoam. (Yes, that much - I was shocked how well this was packaged). Plus the ash tool, grate gripper, yada yada. Probably 85-90 lbs, in packaging weight, I'm guessing. 

KJ1.jpg

KJ2.jpg