Cruisingsail

Ceramic Grill Store Rig

After one years use the double decker grill that came with my 24" Pit Boss was starting to come apart in places. I ordered the Adjustable Rig with XL Crossbars Combo from the Ceramic Grill Store. They use FedEx for shipping but I work for the US Navy in Sasebo Japan and only have access to USPS but they worked with me to get it here, great customer service! I got the unit yesterday and all I can say is very impressive! That is one heavy, industrial sucker, the fit and finish are wonderful. So many more options in this system than the stock Pit Boss grills. Great job Ceramic Grill Store, you hit a home run with this product!

I order my KJJ from them and also a drip pan very happy with the customer service and if I get a larger Kamado will be getting the Adjustable rig made for it!

Scott

Army Vet.

Edited by Scott Roberts

After a couple years with the stock grid system, I became fed up with the lost space on the bottom grid due to the "feet" the upper grid has for attachment, which really limited placement of drip pans and food items on the lower grid.  Got the adjustable rig from CGS and am very impressed with their solution to my problem.  Now, both grates are 100% usable and I'm sure the adjustable rig will outlast me.

I'm about to order a Adjustable Rig and Spider for my new 2019 24" Louisiana Grills Kamado from Costco, but insteuctions for the spider say to measure ID of the fire bowl and dall if more than 1/8" off of 18-1/4".

My ID measures 18" even and if I measure 1-1/2" below the notches, the ID is 17-3/4", exactly equal to the OD of the legs on the spider.

Has anyone had trouble fitting CGS Spider into their LG24/PB24?

So other owners of 2019 LG25s also get 18" OD on their fire-bowls?

Any 2018 or earlier PP24/LG24 owners, are your firebowls really bigger by 1/4" (18-1/4" ID)?

I was all set to pull the trigger today, but this masurement has thrown me for a loop (especially since CGS says these nominal dimensions may be off by as mch as 3/32" from actuals - a spider OD of 17-27/32 is definitely NOT going to squeeze into my firebowl).

Any words of wisdom appreciated (I have emails and voicemails into CGS and am waitng to hear back from them).

If you get the adjustable rig, you don’t need the spider. 

That at being said, I have the spider for the 22 and it fits the 24. I used it until I bought the woo ring

@fafrd give them a call they will work with you getting the correct size and having the spider with the Adjustable Rig turns your kamado into a big meat smoking machine. The Spider and Stone sit under the Rig and replace the Pit Boss platesetter as the indirect set-up.

Scott 

5 minutes ago, BrianAZ said:

That at being said, I have the spider for the 22 and it fits the 24. I used it until I bought the woo ring

My only interest in the spider is for high-heat searing.

I use a Webber for searng now, but the grill is much closer to the coal grate on a Webber than a grill on top of the fire bowl will be to the coal grate on an LG/PB24.

Of course you could just use a boatload more lump, but I'm thinking with the spider, I can use the Weber coal grate and position the it  2" below the top of the fire bowl and then the AR lets me position the cooking grate as close as I'd like..,

The Woo ring would allow you to achieve the same thing but it's pricier than the Spider.

How do you configure for high-temp searing?

1 minute ago, Scott Roberts said:

@fafrd give them a call they will work with you getting the correct size and having the spider with the Adjustable Rig turns your kamado into a big meat smoking machine. The Spider and Stone sit under the Rig and replace the Pit Boss platesetter as the indirect set-up.

Scott 

Call in - waiting to hear back.  I don't think I really need the spider for smoking.  It will allow me to position my 16" heat deflector even lower (as you point out) but that may cut into fuel volume too much, especially for 24h brisket....

With the 20" grill on the AR and the 18" grill inside it, 4 racks of ribs should fit easily (meanig flat) and that's about the most I make at one time these days...

A full packer, 3-4 racks of ribs, the occasional pork butt, and a turkey on his throne once a year, that's about all I need as far as smoke repetoire.

Getting into sous-vide this last year, high-temp searing is actually becoming a much higher priority.  Wasting a huge amount of lump for a 5-minute sear seems wasteful, so searing will remain on the webber until I can find a more efficient way to do the same thing (hopefully at higher fuel efficiency) on the Kamado.

The CGS products support so many options, it's a bit overwhelming...

44 minutes ago, BrianAZ said:

Nonsense!  I have 2 spiders and an AR, and have used them all at once and often use a spider and AR or one or the other. 

The spider with a weber grate set about 1” or less off the hot coals is my go to for post sous vide searing on the Kamado.  I also use the spider with 16” deflector under the rig for smoking.  I don’t do 24 hour brisket, but there is plenty of fuel for 12-14 hour briskets or pork butt. 

5 minutes ago, m-fine said:

Nonsense!  I have 2 spiders and an AR, and have used them all at once and often use a spider and AR or one or the other. 

The spider with a weber grate set about 1” or less off the hot coals is my go to for post sous vide searing on the Kamado.

I was interested in the spider to raise the coal bed using a Weber coal grate positioned on the spider and then searing on an 18” grate at the lowest position in the AR - is this what you mean or are you putting a 16” Weber cooking grate on the spider to get it down closer to the coal bed on the Kamado’s cooking grate?

I also use the spider with 16” deflector under the rig for smoking.  I don’t do 24 hour brisket, but there is plenty of fuel for 12-14 hour briskets or pork butt. 

Yeah, I was thinking of that same configuration for ribs or pork butt.

For full-Packer 24h brisket, the deflector can be positioned at the lowest or second-to-lowest position on the AR and the brisket can be smoked on the 20” grill positioned on top of the AR.  This allows the firebowl to be completely filled with lump...

2 hours ago, fafrd said:

My only interest in the spider is for high-heat searing.

I use a Webber for searng now, but the grill is much closer to the coal grate on a Webber than a grill on top of the fire bowl will be to the coal grate on an LG/PB24.

Of course you could just use a boatload more lump, but I'm thinking with the spider, I can use the Weber coal grate and position the it  2" below the top of the fire bowl and then the AR lets me position the cooking grate as close as I'd like..,

The Woo ring would allow you to achieve the same thing but it's pricier than the Spider.

How do you configure for high-temp searing?

When I seared on the Kamado, I would just rest the standard cooking grate on the fire bowl. The spider is only going to be 1-1/2 to 2 inches closer to the coals. Just have a full load of lump when you start, and you’ll be fine. 

Currently I sear on my massive gasser with Grill Grates. I can get them over 700 degrees in just a couple minutes.   I don’t notice any flavor difference searing in a gas grill vs the charcoal in the Kamado. 

If if you went with the woo ring, it does the same job, and you could put a searing grate on the lower ring. It’s more stable too. 

The charcoal grate for a weber 22 fits in the spider. I use that as a cooking grate for searing.  If doing a reverse sear or cooking other things first, just build a normal fire.  When time to sear, I drop in the searing grate and open the vents up for a few minutes. 

Note that the spider pictured is my original custom one and is a little deeper than the production model. 

5D234A85-1140-4C53-A308-8BCE8833A663.jpeg

3 hours ago, m-fine said:

The charcoal grate for a weber 22 fits in the spider. I use that as a cooking grate for searing.  If doing a reverse sear or cooking other things first, just build a normal fire.  When time to sear, I drop in the searing grate and open the vents up for a few minutes. 

Note that the spider pictured is my original custom one and is a little deeper than the production model. 

5D234A85-1140-4C53-A308-8BCE8833A663.jpeg

That type of spider I could get behind.  It drops much lower than the CGS spider.  It's also much wider to allow the gratel to fit.  The one from the CGS store has much less room between the legs.

Maybe you should market it?

1 hour ago, BrianAZ said:

That type of spider I could get behind.  It drops much lower than the CGS spider.  It's also much wider to allow the gratel to fit.  The one from the CGS store has much less room between the legs.

Maybe you should market it?

The width is about the same as my production unit so the grate fits both.  It does drop quite a bit lower (or raise things higher). I cannot market it because it is/was a CGS spider for a different grill that I simply modified. 

The first post of this thread shows how I made it, and what is currently the last post (page 4) shows comparisons to my Pit Boss specific one. 

1 hour ago, m-fine said:

The width is about the same as my production unit so the grate fits both.  It does drop quite a bit lower (or raise things higher). I cannot market it because it is/was a CGS spider for a different grill that I simply modified. 

The first post of this thread shows how I made it, and what is currently the last post (page 4) shows comparisons to my Pit Boss specific one. 

Interesting reading that old thread on the history of CGS for PB24.

Also makes me feel like I'm living through GroundHog Day - gapot a response from Tom

And making me feel like it's Groundhog Day - just heard back from Tom who confirmed CGS has no spider that will fit my 18" ID fire bowl (17-3/4" ID 1-1/2" below the rim where the legs bend in).

So I am interested in your advice on modifying either the PB24/LG24 spider or the vision XL Spider to fit my LG24.

Cutting the stainless rod is no issue, it's primarily how to unbend the legs before rebending.  Did you straighten a leg before rebending it?  If so, how?

One thought I had was to just bend all 3 legs clockwise aroubd the circle a bit - this will reduce the ID.

The LG24/PB24 spider drops down 1-3/4" (below the notches) while the XL Vision Spider drops 2-1/4" (probably because the XL Vision firebowl has no notches) so I'm also interested in your opinions as to which drop would be better for my application.

The only uses I am interested in a spider for are primarily one and possibly a second:

High-temp searing - I'll probably try using the webber fire grate on the spider to raise the charcoal bed and if that fails, get a 16" cooking grate and do it your way - for both of these scenarios, the deeper drop-down seems better.

Positioning Heat Deflector below the AR - I'm still struggling to see a scenario where I'll need to do this, but the spider makes it possible (and higher is probably better for this scenario).

If I can fit ribs on the 20" top grid and the 18" grid positioned in the middle, it look like I'll be able to position my 5/8" thick x 16" diameter heat deflector and an 16" drip pan in the lowest position, but if that doesn't work or blocks too much smoke flow, I'll need to move the heat deflector into the firebowl.  Higher is better only because it means more space for fuel, but since this will only be for ribs, fuel capacity shouldn't be a concern.

So I'm thinking deeper woukd be better and perhaps I should try to rebend an XLV Spider like you did rather than a PB24/LG24 Spider...

Thoughts?