Wireless probe recommendations.

14 hours ago, edgarallanpoe said:

As the title suggests, I wanted to get a good wireless meat probe for my Kamado and was wondering what you guys recommend.  Thanks in advance.

I’ve gone through two sets of the Maverick ET-732 wireless probe thermometer kits and decided to switch to a different brand after experiencing my most recent failure.  Got this one - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/reviews/B07H4J1K8Z/ref=cm_cr_dp_mb_top?ie=UTF8 

Battery operated units always seemed to lose power in the middle of my cook, often in the middle of the night. Similarly while my old unit only promised 300ft range it often would lose its connection in the middle of the night setting off the probe alarm at 3am despite the grill only being a few feet outside our bedroom window. This didn’t go over well with me or my spouse who was also awakened by the false alarm.

Needless to say we had enough and were in the market for a new solution. I saw the Inkbird first on Instagram BBQ pages and then read up on it more on Amazon before ordering.

Not only is the price better, I have the ability for additional probes, more functions, better battery life (rechargeable) and range I’ve not yet been able to find the need to extend outside signal coverage.

This unit is so much better in every way that matters I really hope it didn’t exist when I bought our last unit and I simply missed or overlooked it. In either case we have it now and aren’t looking back.

As a note to others, you do need to push the probes in all the way a little firmer than what I was used to. I asked support what I was doing wrong, apparently plugging it in helps

59 minutes ago, Smokingdadbbq said:

I’ve gone through two sets of the Maverick ET-732 wireless probe thermometer kits... 

.... Battery operated units always seemed to lose power ...

Kits? Battery life?

I've gone through a half dozen Maverick probes (large, fast temp changes), but I'm still on the original batteries. I recently switched to Thermoworks Smoke, which has less-expensive, better-executed probes (wire interface and strain relief). 

Both Maverick 733 and Thermoworks Smoke did the job when the probes worked. Both are still on original battery, albeit with one two years, the other two months of cooking. The main difference is the location of controls. 733 has a dumb thermometer transmitting to a smart remote. Smoke has a smart base station and a dumb remote. No issues unless you want to turn the alarm off without getting out of your easy chair. 

I also looked at Thermoworks Signals, a new 4-probe unit, and I really wanted 4 probes. Battery specs killed my interest. I've forgotten to turn the ones I have off many times, and they're still on the original batteries

Battery Life: about 16 hours

Charging Time: 12 hours. 

They need to add a zero to the life before I'd consider it. I don't want to delay a cook a half day so the thermometer can charge, and I'm not so device-happy that USB charging is convenient. I want a 5-minute charging time (battery swap) every 100-1000 hours. You may feel differently. 

Why 4 probes? Two for temperature control (exit vent and grate level), two for different size cuts, different locations, and sometimes different cooks, say ribs and pork butt, that cook at different rates. I went with a second Smoke unit after using both the Smoke and 733 on a 5-brisket cook. You may cook differently. 

Have fun,

Frank

Dang, I was just reminded to turn it off from Monday's cook. 

Edited by fbov
24 minutes ago, fbov said:

Kits? Battery life?

I've gone through a half dozen Maverick probes (large, fast temp changes), but I'm still on the original batteries. I recently switched to Thermoworks Smoke, which has less-expensive, better-executed probes (wire interface and strain relief). 

Both Maverick 733 and Thermoworks Smoke did the job when the probes worked. Both are still on original battery, albeit with one two years, the other two months of cooking. The main difference is the location of controls. 733 has a dumb thermometer transmitting to a smart remote. Smoke has a smart base station and a dumb remote. No issues unless you want to turn the alarm off without getting out of your easy chair. 

I also looked at Thermoworks Signals, a new 4-probe unit, and I really wanted 4 probes. Battery specs killed my interest. I've forgotten to turn the ones I have off many times, and they're still on the original batteries

Battery Life: about 16 hours

Charging Time: 12 hours. 

They need to add a zero to the life before I'd consider it. I don't want to delay a cook a half day so the thermometer can charge, and I'm not so device-happy that USB charging is convenient. I want a 5-minute charging time (battery swap) every 100-1000 hours. You may feel differently. 

Why 4 probes? Two for temperature control (exit vent and grate level), two for different size cuts, different locations, and sometimes different cooks, say ribs and pork butt, that cook at different rates. I went with a second Smoke unit after using both the Smoke and 733 on a 5-brisket cook. You may cook differently. 

Have fun,

Frank

Dang, I was just reminded to turn it off from Monday's cook. 

I bought two kits, there are two eggs at the cottage (L & Mini) and two eggs at home (Large & MM) ...both have had warranty replacement issues with the main unit and have been replaced.  Similarly to you, multiple probes have been replaced out of pocket just as part of doing business.

The ET-732 that I have (both locations) is not re-chargeable, its a battery operated unit and I thought the 733 was the same (4AAA) but in either case thats not the unit I bought... twice.  The 732 without fail gets a weak battery on me at 3am and its a PITA

I don't represent either brand or have any affiliation with the sales of either device... for me I've bought my last Maverick product and found something that has more range, better battery life, offers more probes which is handy when using multiple grills and cooking multiple proteins 

Cheers

Anything from Thermoworks. 

I like their high end units with K-type probes much better but they cost a good bit more than the Smoke unit (I have one of those also) and their Signals unit. Nice thing about Signals is it has the capability to turn into a controller. 

I guess I'll be the Devil's advocate and say I'm perfectly happy with my 732. I've never done an overnight cook, but I've had it running 12+ hours straight during the day without battery failure. But the truth is the Big Joe is so rock solid on temps that I don't hardly ever use a remote system any more, anyway. I guess I would if I were to do an overnight, though.

I’m really disappointed in my Thermoworks smoke. Of all my thermometers it is the least accurate. Plus the lacks the ability to set alarm points from the remote. My other units have that, and I find it incredibly useful. 

So so far I find the thermpro tp-08s the biggest bang for the buck. I’ve got two of these units and each is within 1 degree when using the ice water and boiling water test. The remote also seems to have the greatest range. Of anything to complain about, it is the time it can take for the remote to refresh with the base unit. 

Maverick for me all the way.

I've had mine for four years, done a bunch of overnight cooks, several 24 hour cooks.

Battery life had been great, I change them every fourth or fifth cook out of paranoia that they will go dead but so far has not happened.

I've used a Maverick 732 the past three years. Very good battery life but I always found the unit loud and annoying--both the alarm and the beeping with every button push--and the connection tended to cut off periodically with the alarm going off every time it did, which was generally while sleeping during an overnight.

This summer I replaced it with the Thermoworks Smoke. The result of my upgrade: slightly less loud and this slightly less annoying. I still lose the connection, with the same alarm waking me up in the night, just with a slightly better tone than the Maverick's chirping and they insisted on the damn thing beeping with every button push (why??). So, I regret spending the extra money. I bought it thinking I'd add the Gateway eventually which would put the connection on WiFi and automatically track the progress of my cooks that I currently log manually. Given the disappointment, I'm reluctant to spend more to get the Gateway.

That said, the Smoke feels like a much more solid build than the Maverick and I believe it will last longer in the end.