MarkQC

Go to recipe for Montreal Smoked Meat

I’ve seen several different recipes posted on various forums, is there a specific one that is known to be thoroughly tested and that you recommend I try.

I like using John Setzler’s recipes as a reference but I didn’t see one for Smoke Meat, and I’m from montreal so it’s gotta be good :)

Marc, I'm rather slow-witted so it's not clear to me what it is, exactly, that you're looking for.  Obviously, you're hoping to find a great recipe for smoking some meat.  

• What kind of meat?
  • How do you plan to serve it?
  • What kind of smoker will you use to smoke it?  (This may not be important.)

I think the members here will provide a myriad of recipes if they have a better grasp of what you're looking for.  Too much detail is better that a shortage.

20 minutes ago, Rick in Ontario said:

My iPhone auto correct does crazy things with this forum editor for some reason, but yeah, that’s bad, thanks. 

Thanks I know how to use google with a generic search term, the whole purpose of being here is to talk to other enthusiasts and get their first hand experience at using Kamado and the recipes they personally tried or know to be the best from other enthusiasts.

I could understand if you said google it if I asked for a technical spec, cmon this is a forum to discuss things.

I searched this forum on smoke meat (enclosed in Parentheses quotes) and got two "hits" that were, essentially, an old double post that was not a recipe.  You may consider right clicking on the OP's name and sending a message requesting it.

I also emailed three Canadian friends asking them to share a recipe they use.  I expect answers in a day or two.

Sorry...that's all I have, it's not much help.

Edited by pmillen

My last post was from me phone, now that I'm on a computer, I'll type a bit more.

Caveat: Even though I've lived all my life in NJ, I've never had a pastrami sandwich from any of the famous NYC places, but I have eaten Montreal Smoked Meat at multiple places in Montreal. I really should head to Katz's Deli one of these days for a personal comparison.

To go back to your original question, I think if there were a recipe that was thoroughly tested, it would be easy to find on one of the various smoking forums. That said, there is one posted on Serious Eats that I've personally never used, but they tend to put out good stuff.

Personally, I've cured a few briskets using the wet cure calculator from Amazing Ribs and have more than once planned to smoke a piece of it to make pastrami, but I've always had bad luck with the timing and weather and needed to just consume them all as corned beef. Not necessarily a bad fate.

Pastrami and MSM are very similar. This article has some good information on the differences and similarities.

Really, I'd say decide on which curing process you feel comfortable with, whether it's labeled as pastrami or smoked meat. Even though MSM is more traditionally dry cured, I'd probably still brine my brisket. I've never really enjoyed Schwartz's and have even gotten a sandwich that had slices with pockets of brown, uncured meat where the rub apparently missed or wasn't heavy enough. If that can happen at a famous restaurant with professionals, then for home-curing a wet brine is safer to evenly distribute the curing mix, in my opinion. The extra water soaked up by the brisket will only serve to help it stay moist during the smoke and much will get purged out anyway during the cook.  The end result, when using the spices you like, will surely be good.

Thanks for the detailed reply, I ended up finding what I referred to as the holy grail and pretty much anything you find on other forums come from this recipe book by an ex Montrealer living in NY who opened a restaurant called Mile End, it’s the closest thing you will get to Shwartz’s it seems.

I guess I will order the book because I can’t find exact copies of it online.

https://www.amazon.com/Mile-End-Cookbook-Redefining-Hamantaschen/dp/030795448X/ref=nodl_

Mark;

I searched this forum using the method mentioned earlier (montreal smoked meat)

Put this (https://www.kamadoguru.com/search/?q=(montreal smoked meat)&search_and_or=and ) in the address bar without the brackets and there are a few threads on doing Montreal Smoked Meat.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, pmillen said:

Yeah, I thought the phrase was smoke meat.   Smoked meat produces more results.  Adding Montreal for specificity winnows them.

Both phrases are used to some extent. My personal favorite from what I have tried so far in my visits to Montreal is probably "Smoke Meat Pete" but I think "smoked meat" is probably more common. Even among the Francophones "Smoked Meat" seems to get used as often or more than "Viande fumée."

I opened the cryovac and dry-brined a brisket to smoke on Sunday until the rain decided to come early. I was going to smoke it this afternoon, but now I think I might have to mix up a brine bucket and cure the flat and smoke only the point for some burnt ends.