nobius

First Brisket ever

Did my first brisket ever on my KJC2 today. 8 pound flat. Used a simple salt and pepper rub, wrapped in butcher paper at 165º, took it off around 195º. It was delicious, but I feel like it could have been a little more tender. I just got impatient as my wife and I were hungry and I couldn't wait any longer. 

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 21.49.33.png

Your brisket looks good.  You need to cook it until a probe goes into it like it's being pushed into a stick of room temperature butter.  You shouldn't feel mush resistance it should just glide in.  I usually start probing around 195.

8 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

Your brisket looks good.  You need to cook it until a probe goes into it like it's being pushed into a stick of room temperature butter.  You shouldn't feel mush resistance it should just glide in.  I usually start probing around 195.

Yeah next time I'm going to give myself lots more time and start it at night so there's no rush.

9 hours ago, nobius said:

Yeah next time I'm going to give myself lots more time and start it at night so there's no rush.

Whenever I do a flat, I'm up at 415 to have the fire lit by 430, so the meats on by 515-530, that usually allows for it to come off anytime between 4 and 6, which means you can still get a good rest in pre-slice and serve. If you're pressed for time, smoking chuck roasts is usually only a 6-7 hour process, and yields results really similar to brisket, without the cost and worry. Just my $0.02.

I put them on at 250ish (anywhere between 225-275) and pull them when they get to about 190-195, much further than that they will fall apart into shredded/pulled beef (also not a bad thing). I also get the fattiest ones I can find.

4 hours ago, KJTerp said:

Whenever I do a flat, I'm up at 415 to have the fire lit by 430, so the meats on by 515-530, that usually allows for it to come off anytime between 4 and 6, which means you can still get a good rest in pre-slice and serve. If you're pressed for time, smoking chuck roasts is usually only a 6-7 hour process, and yields results really similar to brisket, without the cost and worry. Just my $0.02.

I put them on at 250ish (anywhere between 225-275) and pull them when they get to about 190-195, much further than that they will fall apart into shredded/pulled beef (also not a bad thing). I also get the fattiest ones I can find.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try out the chuck roast idea. 

Beautiful color.  Looks delicious.

I've done brisket low/slow and turbo, and to be honest, I notice very little difference in a faster cook which makes it much more predictable time-wise, and no getting up at ungodly hours.  It's the way I always do them now.  Same as pulled pork too.

I put mine on around 350 degrees with extra protective layers insulating underneath so the bottom does not sear by any direct radiant heat.  Bring it up to 160ish, pull it off and hyrdrate it a bit some beef broth, wrap, and put it back in (or even in the oven at this point is fine) until probe tender.  Whole process usually takes 5-6 hours....into the cooler for 1-2 hours and good for eating!!  Very repeatable.  No stall waiting.