Hi all, I cooked my first brisket today - I had it in at 255 degrees for 9-10 hours until the internal temp was 200. What I don’t understand is the required temp for completing brisket - typically mentioned in forums and online as 190-205 degrees. My thermometer lists well done beef at 165 so why do we cook brisket to such a high internal temp? It was great btw - my first Kamado cook :-)

5EADA932-6094-479C-AF17-41A9AB1A6379.jpeg

2B9DA275-517B-462B-A96C-0BED29A368B5.jpeg

86C92AC3-356D-413D-B892-443C873F387D.jpeg

Cook to texture, not time or temp. A probe should slide in easily with practically no resistance. 

Brisket isnt steak. It’s tough and needs to be given heat and time to break down. Think of it like a huge roast. You don’t cook a roast to a temp, but until it is no longer tough. 

What an amazingly lovely slab O beef!  I cannot say that I have ever seen one that nice up here in Canada before.  But then again, I am starting to think most of our meat here is unaged repackaged road kill...

51 minutes ago, JeffieBoy said:

What an amazingly lovely slab O beef!  I cannot say that I have ever seen one that nice up here in Canada before.  But then again, I am starting to think most of our meat here is unaged repackaged road kill...

Florence Meats in Oakville mate..! Thanks for all the replies - getting the hang of it!

I am guessing you were a well-seasoned (heehee) griller before jumping off with a brisket for your first kamado cook! That is beautiful! We have inexpensive gasoline here but they want big bucks for brisket. So, I rarely try it. My last was smoked for two hours and cooked sous vide.  Came out great, but not that good looking. Also, Boring! I respect the precision but it's no fun. It's back strictly kamado for me! 

On 7/20/2019 at 12:37 PM, Smokingdadbbq said:

only about 20min, will have to check them out. 

never seen one trimmed this shape before, looks like it’s mostly point 

I had to ask them to do that - I have a family of five but asked them to trim it for seven people. I requested a smaller size as the only brisket in Costco was 85 bucks and the size of a football field.. here are some pics of Florence Meats - my new favourite butcher :-))

5EF8951B-C412-4756-991C-37A0EBF8CE8F.jpeg

9529FDA7-6D41-474A-811D-0D869DFDE2DF.jpeg

CAC78B1C-B84E-4181-8BFD-CD978AA333E3.jpeg

I hope you went over to the Biltong Bar while you were there. Theirs is often said to be better than the Biltong in South Africa.

How much per pound was that brisket? Florence is sort of pricey aren't they?

Awesome job on the cook!!!

On 7/20/2019 at 9:56 AM, lnarngr said:

I am guessing you were a well-seasoned (heehee) griller before jumping off with a brisket for your first kamado cook! That is beautiful! We have inexpensive gasoline here but they want big bucks for brisket. So, I rarely try it. My last was smoked for two hours and cooked sous vide.  Came out great, but not that good looking. Also, Boring! I respect the precision but it's no fun. It's back strictly kamado for me! 

I had a fair bit of experience grilling on my Broil King but it lacks soul somehow on a gas grill.. I was in seventh heaven cooking on the Kamado - back to basics with charcoal, adding the hickory chunks, and learning to control the heat over a sloooowww cook. Suffice it to say I’m completing addicted now..!

12 hours ago, Rick in Ontario said:

I hope you went over to the Biltong Bar while you were there. Theirs is often said to be better than the Biltong in South Africa.

How much per pound was that brisket? Florence is sort of pricey aren't they?

Awesome job on the cook!!!

Thank you..! I can’t recall the $ per pound but it was $56 for that monster and we are still eating it ..! 

On 7/20/2019 at 6:56 AM, lnarngr said:

How much for brisket in MS.  I thought being so close to Texas meat would be at least normal price.  I have noticed all meat going up in California. Used to buy butts for .79 and now 1.99+.