Hello All. I'm a newbie here, but I just have 3 words......COSTCO PRIME.  If you have a Costco anywhere close it's worth the trip.   I've made Costco Prime Rib Eye....I can't eat Rib Eye in a restaurant anymore. You absolutely cannot beat the quality or flavor or PRICE. They have New York strip and other cuts. The cryopaks are an especially good value.  Just try it once!

3 hours ago, lnarngr said:

Brisket could be found for less than $2 lb. not terribly long ago. Now it's typically over $4. 

10.99 for Costco AAA and that’s less than the local butcher. Sucks having a brisket addiction in Canada lol 

On 7/23/2019 at 11:15 PM, Smokingdadbbq said:

10.99 for Costco AAA and that’s less than the local butcher. Sucks having a brisket addiction in Canada lol 

Lococo's has brisket for around $4.00 if I am not mistaken. Their beef is typically very good.

That brisket looks pretty amazing for a first time! I did my first as well recently. I kind of botched it a bit, but it still turned out really well I think.

Forgive me because I still havent mastered all the names for the parts so I will use "my" terms. LOL

The skinny part got over desired, in retrospect I probably should have cut that separate perhaps and pulled when at 203, but it got to 210 when the rest was fabulously smooth probing and around 203.

I am satisfied with it, my family absolutely loved it so needless to say I am completely addicted to Kamado Cooking now. Previously ONLY gas grill. Gas grill hasnt been lit since I bought my Kamado in April.

I have work to do yet to get really good at brisket, but for my first attempt I am happy.

IMG_20190710_182624286_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190710_195016012.jpg

6 hours ago, CaptainMusky said:

That brisket looks pretty amazing for a first time! I did my first as well recently. I kind of botched it a bit, but it still turned out really well I think.

Forgive me because I still havent mastered all the names for the parts so I will use "my" terms. LOL

The skinny part got over desired, in retrospect I probably should have cut that separate perhaps and pulled when at 203, but it got to 210 when the rest was fabulously smooth probing and around 203.

I am satisfied with it, my family absolutely loved it so needless to say I am completely addicted to Kamado Cooking now. Previously ONLY gas grill. Gas grill hasnt been lit since I bought my Kamado in April.

I have work to do yet to get really good at brisket, but for my first attempt I am happy.

IMG_20190710_182624286_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190710_195016012.jpg

Extremely well done on that brisket.. and I’m with you on the Kamado versus gas grill. I still use the gas for veg and extra things that need more ‘real estate’ but the elemental process, textures and tastes from Kamado Joe have me also completely addicted. .my new favourite pastime :-))

Picked up two USDA Choice Angus briskets at my local Kroger for $1.99/lb today. Can’t wait to cook one! I think I’ll do one for tacos and not sure about the other. 

On 7/20/2019 at 9:56 AM, lnarngr said:

I am guessing you were a well-seasoned (heehee) griller before jumping off with a brisket for your first kamado cook! That is beautiful! We have inexpensive gasoline here but they want big bucks for brisket. So, I rarely try it. My last was smoked for two hours and cooked sous vide.  Came out great, but not that good looking. Also, Boring! I respect the precision but it's no fun. It's back strictly kamado for me! 

Hah!  $1.25 CAD per Litre of Gas (4.27 USD per Gallon), $3.50-4.00 a pound for Pork Shoulders and $6.00-7.00 a pound for Brisket.  We have toget it right every time at those prices...  I'd kill for any of those three to be cheap! LOL

On 7/20/2019 at 8:51 AM, Burlington Kamado Smoker said:

Florence Meats in Oakville mate..! Thanks for all the replies - getting the hang of it!

Hmmm, going to Oakville on Wednesday to meet my new Grandson.  Perhaps a side trip is in order.  Thanks for this.

On 7/25/2019 at 7:55 AM, Rick in Ontario said:

Lococo's has brisket for around $4.00 if I am not mistaken. Their beef is typically very good.

Rick,  where is Lococo's?  Err, ummm, asking for a “friend” in Cambridge...

Found them!  Never mind.