Kamado Tom

DIY Kamado table

Spent yesterday building a table for a new kamado. Build went pretty smooth, took a couple hours and a good buddy to get it finished. I put the KJ on the ledge for now so I can use the table until the new one arrives. 

XDNlZoN6QBugVoaqdK6%Bw.jpg

GqphHPB5Q+yO6BpgR2TGoA.jpg

Materials:

57"x 24" (bottom shelf), 31"x 27" (top shelf) 1-1/4" thick granite w/leathered finish remnant- $60 (paid cash so got top piece for free, $35 value)

(6) 8"x 8"x 16" concrete blocks- $1.85/ea

(6) 8"x 8"x 8" concrete blocks- $1.20/ea

(12) 7"x 7"x 3.5" rumblestone pavers- $2.28/ea

(8) 7'x 3.5"x 1.75" rumblestone pavers- $0.98/ea

(1) Loctite landscape block adhesive tube- $5.98

Total cost- $119.48

That's a good, quick table to put together and thanks for the materials list, it answered a question I had about adhesive to hold the pavers for the side table.  

Is there any deflection over the span of the granite under the KJ either normally or when it heats up?

Thanks,

Steve

6 minutes ago, Kamado Tom said:

@S. Madrid Granite can crack under high thermal stress so I recommend something like the ceramic feet or in my case the guy at the landscape supply gave my 4 sample pieces to use as feet.

Sounds great and I was curious about the amount of heat it could take.  Everything I have read so far mentions it's best to use feet and create an air gap under the kamado, then have a heat resistant surface under the feet.

My question was related more to the weight of the kamado causing any deflection/sagging of the granite?  You said it is 1.25in thick and I was curious how that held up?  I realize every piece of granite will be a bit different in it's composition, but I was interested in that particular thickness vs weight of the kamado as a datapoint for later.

Thanks,

Steve

3 minutes ago, S. Madrid said:

Sounds great and I was curious about the amount of heat it could take.  Everything I have read so far mentions it's best to use feet and create an air gap under the kamado, then have a heat resistant surface under the feet.

My question was related more to the weight of the kamado causing any deflection/sagging of the granite?  You said it is 1.25in thick and I was curious how that held up?  I realize every piece of granite will be a bit different in it's composition, but I was interested in that particular thickness vs weight of the kamado as a datapoint for later.

Thanks,

Steve

No, I've checked it while hot. I don't think that slab of granite knows the Kamado is there, it weighs significantly more than the KJ. The table is built with a Primo XL or KJBJ in mind and I did design it to run 8x16s all across the front and back but came to realize that with the 3 legs it is over built already.

4 minutes ago, Kamado Tom said:

No, I've checked it while hot. I don't think that slab of granite knows the Kamado is there, it weighs significantly more than the KJ. The table is built with a Primo XL or KJBJ in mind and I did design it to run 8x16s all across the front and back but came to realize that with the 3 legs it is over built already.

Ok, that was exactly what I was looking for thank you.  I am designing a table and have a granite store nearby where I live.  Ultimate plan is to drop a slab of granite into some rabbited cuts where the framing for the grill shelf will be. 

Just trying to determine if I need any additional support underneath it?  Sounds like with a 1.25in or thicker piece I shouldn't but I always like to see a real-world example. 

My fear is several months in with multiple heat cycles of the granite that it would fail and the kamado would drop.  I appreciate the help and the info.

Steve

4 minutes ago, S. Madrid said:

Ok, that was exactly what I was looking for thank you.  I am designing a table and have a granite store nearby where I live.  Ultimate plan is to drop a slab of granite into some rabbited cuts where the framing for the grill shelf will be. 

Just trying to determine if I need any additional support underneath it?  Sounds like with a 1.25in or thicker piece I shouldn't but I always like to see a real-world example. 

My fear is several months in with multiple heat cycles of the granite that it would fail and the kamado would drop.  I appreciate the help and the info.

Steve

Well, for piece of mind drop out the 8x8s for this design and add (12) 8x16s for $15 more and run the block completely around and set two in the middle biased toward the BJ side, that way even if the granite crumbled while you were away it still wouldn't topple. Good luck and post some pics of what you end up building!

2 minutes ago, Kamado Tom said:

Well, for piece of mind drop out the 8x8s for this design and add (12) 8x16s for $15 more and run the block completely around and set two in the middle biased toward the BJ side, that way even if the granite crumbled while you were away it still wouldn't topple. Good luck and post some pics of what you end up building!

Good Idea and thank you.  I have a source for rough cut lumber that is usually around the 5x5 size.  So I plan on milling that down and using it for the framing/carcass.  Best part is the lumber is free and unless I lay claim to it, they just take it to the dump.  

Plan is to incorporate a couple different joinery techniques and see how it goes.  

The granite base for the kamado to sit on was an idea based on discussions of heat management under the kamado with a primarily wood table, aesthetics, and load-bearing capacity; seems like it will work just fine.

I am looking forward to starting that project in a couple months and when I do I will figure out how to attach pictures and give a write up of the build.  I have had a lot of ideas from this board and others which have gone into my sketchbook and saved pictures into my folder for projects.

Steve