My first time trying to do Chinese Beggar’s Chicken.    The bread cover was made with 1 kg of salt so that it would get hard when baked.  You can see that I had a small hole that developed in bottom where lots of liquid escaped during last 2 hours of baking.   Had it not leaked the chicken would have had brownish colour instead of whiteish colour.    I have to roll it a little thicker

01BF6AA5-FF9E-4C14-9D96-DAF9E5C68D78.jpeg

B09961BF-54DD-43CD-BB26-D68EEE1459AD.jpeg

036A6357-F424-4F41-A0EB-960591D43719.jpeg

4A05E8F7-F26B-4290-9873-EC74A1C570E8.jpeg

B052F766-2EAE-4FDA-84E9-E664B7DC70C2.jpeg

11 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

That looks amazing!  I couldn’t tell you had any glitch. I am not familiar with the technique but will look it up. :)

Thank you.  

There should be no liquid in the pan.  In picture 4 you can see all the liquid that had escaped.    

Looks good. I had to look up the technique, then look back here at you post to see if you had used mud to encase the chicken. Good choice on a dough encasement instead. :-D Sort of like a Beef Wellington, I'd guess. 

Nice job,  always interesting to see different cooking techniques from other cultures adapted to the grill. 

One recipe I found said to first wrap the chicken in aluminum foil and then to apply the coating (clay in the recipe, but bread for you) over the aluminum foil. That might solve your leak problem. Thanks for posting, this was a new one for me!

that looks great!

is that a pastry casing? I have never heard of beggars chicken before so i didnt know what to expect to see lol:)

On 7/26/2019 at 3:47 AM, AK-g said:

that looks great!

is that a pastry casing? I have never heard of beggars chicken before so i didnt know what to expect to see lol:)

The casing was just made with salt, all purpose flour and water.    Around 2.5 cups of flour to 1 kg of salt.    Purpose is to ensure casing get very hard.    

3 hours ago, Rob_grill_apprentice said:

The casing was just made with salt, all purpose flour and water.    Around 2.5 cups of flour to 1 kg of salt.    Purpose is to ensure casing get very hard.    

It would be interesting to see the chicken and how the casing was applied.