UTVol

2 Birds on Jotisserie on the Classic?

Gents,

Wanted to see if anyone has tried to spin 2 birds at the same time on the Classic using the Joetisserie.  I think it will work but wanted to check in with the brain trust to see if cook evenness is an issue along with space on the rod.

Thanks in advance!

I've done it with two fryer chickens that were just under 4lb each. It took some fiddling and twine to get it mostly balanced. I'd suggest mounting them on the spit and testing the spin before getting your fire going. 

I do it all the time. I have an extra set of forks which helps secure the middle, but before I did I would thread an onion on there to mash them up against that. Pro-Tip:

I actually set the entire thing up on my counter before I load up the joe, I put the ring down on a towel on the counter, and put the chickens on the rod and set it all up that way, that way I'm not walking out to the fire and realizing i need to realign everything over raging coals.

On 7/27/2019 at 4:48 PM, UTVol said:

Thanks all, much appreciated!  Trying it tonight, will keep you posted!

How well did it work for you?  Do you have a photo of the set-up?

I'm curious about D&C use, drip pan, coals piled to one side, that sort of thing.

So—smoking wood added and juices dripping directly on the coals?

I regularly let chicken drip on the coals in my drum smoker and kamado.  I think it adds a better flavor but I've read that it disgusts some people.  IDK if there's some difference in their set-ups or if it's just a matter of taste.

I'm assuming that you shut the lid and ran at about 450°F.

Yes, it would be way too smokey for us doing it like that. When I am cooking meat over direct heat with the Joetisserie I leave the KJ dome up for the entire cook or put the heat deflectors in and close the dome when the weather is cold or wet. Traditionally a rotisserie is done over an open fire and doing it like that is far more fun to watch plus you get just the right amount of smoke taste.

When I do a Paella (dome open) I throw two or three chunks of Orange wood on the coals and let them burn rather than smoulder. This gives just the right amount of citrus scent to the dish and it is the way Paella is prepared in Valencia, over a fire made from the plentiful Orange wood.

58 minutes ago, Heuer said:

Yes, it would be way too smokey for us doing it like that.

Marcia and I don't care for oversmoked food either—sometimes it causes me to burp smoke for hours.  But chicken hasn't done that.  In fact we prefer to allow the rendered fat to drip.  See–

If you read it to the end you'll see that opinion is divided.  It's apparently a difference in preferences or set-ups.