pmillen

In Search of Flavorings for Boneless, Skinless, (Tasteless) Chicken Breast

Marcia and I would like to eat more chicken breasts for health reasons.  But they need added flavor.

My current and well-liked method is to sous-vide them with Herbes de Provence and butter, then finish them by sprinkling on Mrs. Dash’s Salt Free Table Blend when pan-browning them in ghee.  But we would welcome more flavor.

My next batch will be SVd with salt, pepper and garlic even though we need to go lightly on the salt.

What would you use when (1) SVing and (2) subsequently browning?

McCormick's makes a bunch of different marinade packets. I use them all the time for chicken and pork. The tomato Basil one is a favorite. Would probably work really good with SV. 

On 7/23/2019 at 3:10 PM, ckreef said:

McCormick's makes a bunch of different marinade packets. I use them all the time for chicken and pork. The tomato Basil one is a favorite. Would probably work really good with SV. 

Would you suggest marinading first and then SV and pan-browning or would you put some marinate marinade in the SV bag?

EDIT:  Grammar.

Edited by pmillen

5 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

I'm not sure where we got this, but my wife likes Olde Thompson Tex-Mex Chipotle seasoning on chicken breasts. It comes in a grinder container. It contains 135 mg sodium per 1/4 Tsp.

What do you think?  Season the breasts in the SV bag or later?

1 hour ago, pmillen said:

What do you think?  Season the breasts in the SV bag or later?

I really don't know, since I don't SV. I season the breasts and then go start the KJ and get it up to cooking temp.

1 hour ago, pmillen said:

Would you suggest marinading first and then SV and pan-browning or would you put some marinate in the SV bag?

I don't own a SV but I think I would marinade in the bag for a while then put the bag (natinade and all) in the SV. Super hot sear in the end to get that grilled flavor. 

Salamida's Statefair original spiedie sauce and Wegmans rosemary balsamic are the current family favorite marinades for boneless chicken breasts right now. My old standby when I'm pressed for time is Wegman's basting oil and John Henry's mojave garlic pepper and straight to the grill. I took a pic of the back so hopefully you could see ingredients and go from there.

I would marinate and SV with the marinade to ~150-155 and then brown on grill to whatever time/temp pasteurization you prefer.

S5zr4pIoR%u5sPOrV6YKeA.jpg

4nOCp%n7Q0iRjZ0f5KEwNw.jpg

I'll give a thumbs up to the Spiedie sauce. Hard to find depending on where you live but good stuff. 

I think the store bought or homemade marinade options out in the world are almost endless. 

3 hours ago, ckreef said:

I'll give a thumbs up to the Spiedie sauce. Hard to find depending on where you live but good stuff. 

I think the store bought or homemade marinade options out in the world are almost endless. 

The smells from Spiedie sauce cooking on the grill are unreal, just like being at the fair!!

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I’ve compiled a list of cooks to test.  I don’t know how many we’ll work our way through before we tire of chicken.

Chicken Breast Cook Tests

Marinate and Smoke

1.     Slice breast into 1-2″ strips

2.     Marinate in –

a.     Lawry's Caribbean Jerk Sauce

b.     Wishbone Italian

c.     Wishbone Italian with Worcestershire sauce

d.     Newman's own Oil & Vinegar Salad Dressing

e.     Teriyaki

f.     Buffalo Wild Wings marinade, available at Walmart–

i.     Asian Zing

ii.     Honey Bbq

iii.     Parmesan Garlic

3.     Smoke at 250° on Frogmats until IT is 160°

Sous Vide

1.     Preheat SV cooker at 148°F

2.     Add butter, salt and pepper with one or more–

a.     Rosemary

b.     Tarragon

c.     Thyme

d.     Lemon and garlic

3.     Skip step 2.  SV with–

a.     Salamida's State Fair Spiedie Sauce

b.     Wegman’s Rosemary Balsamic Marinade

c.     John Henry's Mojave Garlic Pepper

d.     McCormick’s Tomato/Basil Marinade

e.     Olde Thompson Tex-Mex Chipotle Seasoning

4.     Cook for 1-3 hours

5.     Brown by pan-frying in ghee

6.     Skip steps 2 & 3 and drizzle with pineapple/habanero sauce

Inject

1.     Preheat SV cooker at 148°F

2.     Inject seasonings of choice mixed with–

a.     Oil

b.     Flavored vinegars

3.     SV for 1-3 hours

4.     Brown by pan-frying in ghee

It all sounds tasty. We eat a lot of chicken. I try new stuff all the time. Even when you tire of chicken you'll always go back to it eventually. 

I've got one word for you BRINE, BRINE, BRINE your chicken in one gallon water with 1 cup salt for several hours before cooking.

We've started doing whole and half chickens in brine and the results are fantastic, the most tender chicken ever.

You can also dry brine in the freezer, leaving it frozen for two or three weeks with whatever dry rub/s you prefer and get the best of the flavoring plus the brine effect of the salt (provided you use or add some salt to whatever dry rub you choose).

We absolutely love Adams Jerk seasoning, and it seems the longer we leave the dusted bird in the freezer, the better it tastes.

I can't imagine how tender it would get if it was sou vied after brining, probably fall off the bone.

DSC01938.thumb.JPG.060171d47dd9f5af6745132bc095e31c.JPG

2 hours ago, Chasdev said:

I've got one word for you BRINE, BRINE, BRINE your chicken in one gallon water with 1 cup salt for several hours before cooking.

Thanks for the tip.  I  regularly brine fowl (and other things) when they aren't cooked sous vide.  The result is the same, maybe better, when flavorings are added to the SV bag.

Dry brine, no need for water. Seasonings in the SV bag but NO BUTTER OR FAT!  Seems counter intuitive, but butter in the bag draws out fat soluble flavors and makes it more bland. Add the butter at the end when searing.