Does this make sense to anyone?

Idk, I always thought those holes were redundant with the possible exception of a long low n slow where the bottom gets clogged. I still see no reason to do this as I have no probs.

Fire burns toward air.  think the side holes might be there to help  the fire to burn toward the sides of the fire box and not just down to the grate. I agree with Kamado Tom they cost money to make em so they must have a reason for them.

It looks like a great way to initiate aluminum off-gassing.  Aluminum begins to give off aluminum hydrate (AlH) and related compounds at 293°F.

It’s a contentious subject, but aluminum can cause neurotoxicity on the human brain, damaging neuron cells.  Aluminum content in the brain is thought by some to be the first reliable test to predict Alzheimer's disease.

I think I posted this before in another thread...

Several years ago I covered my heat deflector with Al foil to prevent it from getting

any crud on it. A few minutes into a cook there was black, acrid smoke coming out

of the top vent of the Kamado. The Al was actually burning up, turning black and going into

ashes. I quickly removed food, grate and deflector and got rid of the Al. Things got real

exciting for a few seconds and I learned my lesson - Don't use Al foil on the deflector.

10 hours ago, pmillen said:

It looks like a great way to initiate aluminum off-gassing.  Aluminum begins to give off aluminum hydrate (AlH) and related compounds at 293°F.

It’s a contentious subject, but aluminum can cause neurotoxicity on the human brain, damaging neuron cells.  Aluminum content in the brain is thought by some to be the first reliable test to predict Alzheimer's disease.

I was going to like your post, but what's to like.  However it is informative and so I thank you for bringing this up.  Also it is a waste of good aluminum foil:)

Aluminum foil is likely a poor choice as a filler, but the Komodo Kamado uses that airflow model with obviously good success.  I would think a better center grate to allow small bits and ash to fall straight through would be better than the ones with the holes.

3 hours ago, SmallBBQr said:

Aluminum foil is likely a poor choice as a filler, but the Komodo Kamado uses that airflow model with obviously good success.  I would think a better center grate to allow small bits and ash to fall straight through would be better than the ones with the holes.

Komodo Kamado does use that airflow model but the other big difference is there is no gap between the firebox and the base. In a KK all air coming in the bottom vent must flow through the coals. 

With all other kamados there is a gap between the firebox and the base. If the grate gets clogged air coming in the bottom vent can completely bypass the firebox/coals (not a good thing). When that happens those holes allow air to reach the coals from the side. I would think you'd be better off keeping those holes. 

5 hours ago, ckreef said:

Komodo Kamado does use that airflow model but the other big difference is there is no gap between the firebox and the base. In a KK all air coming in the bottom vent must flow through the coals. 

In his mod, he used fireplace rope to seal that gap up between the box and shell, so that's why I think the overall airflow is pretty much the same as the KK in the end - all the air has to go from intake through the coals.

I did something similar to my keg a few years back and it worked very well - faster heat up times and more control over the fire, but it just ended up being too much an annoyance in the end to have to keep setting it up etc.

I'm not sure why more kamado setups don't use something similar - though I believe the Blaze does, no?

10 hours ago, ckreef said:

In a KK all air coming in the bottom vent must flow through the coals.

I'd wondered about that; they looked like that must be the case... which makes me wonder.

In a Big Joe, I've found I can turn the "smoke ring" on and off using an ash basket. The ash basket allows much better air flow around the fuel, so the fire draw is great and it needs less air to maintain the same temperature. Bottom vent is almost closed. Last couple brisket cooks have been great, but NO SMOKE RING!

For other reasons, I pulled the ash basket and left it out for yesterday's pork butts. The temperature stayed at the low end of low-n-slow, even with the bottom vent open 5-10x wider than before. Late in the cook, I had to "stir" the fire (roll the BJ over bumpy concrete) but at 19 hours, I had a stable 240-245 F at the exit vent and dome thermometer was ~210 F. THE RING IS BACK. 

There's a reason, as I learned here: the smoke ring is a reaction with partial combustion products, NO and CO. My hypothesis is that the ash basket allows the fire to consume O2 too effectively to create the NO/CO needed. Old-style wood-on-ceramic fire is less efficient, so more effective for ring-making. 

A case of "better" is really just "different." I'm curious what the KK sees, given it's missing the air return path of the BJ.

Have fun,

Frank

Edited by fbov

5 hours ago, SmallBBQr said:

I'm not sure why more kamado setups don't use something similar - though I believe the Blaze does, no?

Yes, but the blaze doesn't have a separate firebox, same for the WSC grill which I would attribute to not using ceramics