RichM

Spatchcock Chicken

I"m going to do a Spatchcock Chicken on my Kamado Joe 2 this evening. I'll brine it then put a rub on it.  I don't know how to best set up the grill.

I'm thinking of using the top grill/grate with a 1/2 heat deflector under where the chicken goes. Cook it at about 300 degrees. 

What do you think?

Yeah, I get the most consistent results from cooking a spatchcock chicken with the indirect method. As an alternative to just using the deflector alone, you can also try this. 

I frequently place an enameled cast iron pan of potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, etc above the deflector and beneath the chicken. If you try this you need to create an air space between the bottom of the pan and the surface of the deflector or you will burn the pan contents. 

IMG_0437.thumb.jpeg.ab3eebc617c74c49b46877c8ddea8b3e.jpeg

3 hours ago, mike echo said:

We all know this but......I lift the skin and put any rub directly on the meat and cover it with the skin.

M.

That's a great technique. I also put spices and herbs under the skin on the breast,  thighs and legs. I make an herb paste with good olive oil,  fresh oregano, thyme, basil,  and orange zest, along with kosher salt and cracked pepper. I generally rub the outer skin with good olive oil and then add a sprinkling of kosher salt. 

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

Yeah, I get the most consistent results from cooking a spatchcock chicken with the indirect method. As an alternative to just using the deflector alone, you can also try this. 

I frequently place an enameled cast iron pan of potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, etc above the deflector and beneath the chicken. If you try this you need to create an air space between the bottom of the pan and the surface of the deflector or you will burn the pan contents. 

IMG_0437.thumb.jpeg.ab3eebc617c74c49b46877c8ddea8b3e.jpeg

That's a great idea with the pan underneath the chicken.  Do you leave it there the entire cook or pull it at some point?  What liquid and how much do you use in the pan?  I assume chicken broth, but wanted to ask.  Do you have much evaporation of the liquid?

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks to all. I got er done. I think it turned out well for my first chicken. BTW the did lift the skin and get some rub directly on the meat.

Gotta say I really like high position direct.  As long as you control the temp the smoke from the drippings adds flavor.

re - always up.  One reason is that the skin will stick to the grate and tear off.  If you dry the skin overnight in the fridge it will come out very light and crispy.  If you pull it right out of the brine and throw it on the grill I find the skin is heavy and chewy.