Sign in to follow this  
lunchman

Healthy Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Oat Bars

Whew! Quite the long title for a recipe...

I hadn't planned on posting this, but they tasted pretty good. What started out as a search for what to do (that was healthy) with a bunch of ripe bananas (other than my usual banana bread recipe), led to a website featuring a slew of different banana recipes.

Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Oat Breakfast Bars

A lot of gluten free recipes, a lot of vegan recipes, most of which looked pretty darn good. I've never visited this site before today. I printed out at least a half dozen recipes, one of which involves a cast iron skillet and can easily be made on the Kamado, perhaps for another day. But my goal today was to use what ingredients I had on hand, which turned out to be:

Oats

Baking Powder

Baking Soda

Salt

Cinnamon

Bananas

Vanilla Extract

Unsweetened Applesauce

Honey

Chocolate Chips

Coconut Oil

Amazingly, I had every one of these. So Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Oat Breakfast Bars it was. I pulverized the oats in my Ninja blender to make oat flour and added all the dry ingredients. Mixed up the wet ingredients, put the wet and dry together, added the chocolate chips and into the pan it went. I melted the chocolate chips and Coconut Oil in the microwave and drizzled it on (not so elegantly) after it came out of the oven and had cooled a bit.

Like I said, no prep pics as my intent was to make use of bananas, but these turned out to be quite tasty. Are they healthy? Beats me. The website says they are, as there's no processed sugar, no flour. The sweetener is the honey and applesauce. Chocolate though? OK, I'll go with it. How bad can some chocolate chips be? And the drizzle is made with coconut oil rather than the usual butter.  Some pics. 

In the pan, with a less than attractive drizzle (what happens due to distraction) :) -

edited-image_zps43fwhnig.png

Amazingly, they all came out of the pan intact -

edited-image_zpsxy29s2lw.png

Ready for serving. The texture is very much like that of a banana bread -

edited-image_zpstufg4bbe.png

All in all, a successful baking event! I'm impressed with the multitude of healthy banana recipes on this website and will be using them the next time we have overripe bananas. It might require that I get some almond flour and perhaps almond milk for some of them, we'll see. 

Thanks for checking out this post. 

Regards,

-lunchman