bushcraft_joe

Fire out, temp down, company coming.......

So today we are celebrating my grandmothers 82nd birthday.  Last night around 21:00 I had the kamado up to 190   I had a 12lb pork shoulder prepared and into the smoker it went. Meat temp went in, and I walked away.  Around midnight I went to bed and check on the grill quickly, temp was up and everything was great. 

07:00 my wife wakes me, “honey, the grill says it’s down to 100.”  I run down, and sure enough, it was, and my meat thermometer read 120. The coals had gone out. 

So......now what do I do?  Just restart it and let it go to temp?  

What would have caused the coals coals to burn out?  There is plenty of lump remaining inside the kamado. 

Just now, King19 said:

I hope you started the fire again

cooking at 190 is Damn near impossible to me 

Crank that bad boy up to 300 to make up for lost time

Agree, other than fish which I try to keep under 200, everything else falls into BBQ cooking and cooking at least at 250 up to 280 depending on the cut of meat or what I am cooking. 

Also I notice from people in other post that they try to overnight cook at <200 and end up snuffing the fire. I normally have the opposite effect of slowly increasing the temp above 200.

190* is pretty low especially if your not going to babysit the cooker, I cook my pork shoulders @225F and set alarms for 200/250F so as long as it stays in that range the cook should be good and reasonably on schedule. From what I've read the Akorn is super insulated which would mean a very small fire for 190*, I would suggest trying for 225 or 250 next time which would allow a bigger fire that might be more stable. Good luck!!

Thanks guys. 

Well, the meat temp is up to 161 and it looks and smells great. Still a ways to go.  

I’m curious, what causes the fire to burn out, especially when their is ample coal left?  Could offsetting where I light the lump help?  I usually always light dead center, should I light it on the left or on the right?  Would that help?  Is the fire just to small to keep a continuous burn?

Personally I think the fire is not big enough and when you keep vent slightly open you run the risk of snuffing out the fire. 

But the opposite will happen if you give it too much oxygen and the fire will keep climbing up in temps. Requires a lot of babysitting for that low of temps. A hotter smaller coal bed but the offset is length of cook time. 

Also personally, get the fire started near the bottom vent as oppose to middle or elsewhere. That way it captures all the air it comes in when it starting out. 

That is why I use the Tip Top Temp for overnight cooks.  It is a simple thermostat based on the heat expansion of a strip of coiled metal attached to a flap.  No batteries, probes or computers.  Just simple device that has worked flawlessly.

Iji4sqNcSUCsNoEf2ULzdw.jpg

Tip TopTemp for me too!

Works great but after several dozen cooks, the shaft gummed up and had to be cleaned.

I also added a PartyQ blower and together it's automatic.

DSC00216.thumb.JPG.b538534fd4a18ea14c74b43d8cc58557.JPGDSC00210.thumb.JPG.a3eccf81563c6d250a04d60e133cf836.JPGDSC00211.thumb.JPG.7634318149a8037f5cca3a6856dc12ed.JPG

the fire going out might be caused by at 190 you have a small fire going and if the charcoal has a lot of large pieces it will have big gaps between pieces and not enough adjacent pieces burning to support the fire and prevent it from spreading. The other side is if you have a lot of small pieces you don't get proper air flow to support the fire. I had this trouble when using some Royal oak that  only had  1/2 dollar sized pieces and smaller . When i opened the vents wide open the fire grew but produced large amounts of smoke till it caught. Gave a funkie flavor to my christmas rib roast. 190 is pretty low for meat i try for 225 to 275 . I have a heater meter to control the Kamado but find i'm using it less and less as i get used to my  joe.  

On 7/29/2019 at 6:06 AM, bushcraft_joe said:

Will the tip top work on a vision professional series?

Yes,  you just have to adapt the 5 inches of the TTT to the size of your exhaust hole.