pmillen

What Are the Best Drill Bits?

PG500.thumb.png.2fb9771ceb4ce86689013eb3912fd5aa.png

I’m interested in adding castors to my 2013 Cookshack Fast Eddy PG500.  It has wheels on only one leg set so I have to lift the right-side legs off the ground in order to move it.  That’s a bit troublesome for me.

1308902840_JackingCastor.thumb.png.4eecef50cb5b5699251eaa894000b380.png

I’d like to use these adjustable-height castors on the right legs and put slightly larger wheels on the left ones to compensate.  But I don’t look forward to drilling mounting holes in the stainless-steel legs.

A guy in a hardware store told me that his drill bits that are better suited for drilling SS with a hand drill, but he didn’t seem trustworthy.

Do any readers have first-hand knowledge of appropriate drill bits and technique?

Center punch the legs then drill a 1/8 inch starter hole then drill to final size. I've had good luck with titanium coated bits. Be careful drilling the final size hole the bit can grab when it drills through. Are you planning to remove the leg first then drill this might be the easiest way to do it . If you can get a piece of wood behind the leg to drill into it might help

5 hours ago, Kamado Tom said:

HSS with Cobalt drill bit and drill fast with a lubricating oil as SS will work harden and is a gummy material.

HSS????  (Sorry, this isn't an area where I have experience.)

3 hours ago, len440 said:

Are you planning to remove the leg first then drill this might be the easiest way to do it . If you can get a piece of wood behind the leg to drill into it might help

Nope.  The legs are welded on.  I'll have to tip the smoker on its side and have someone brace the leg from behind.  That'll be the wood to drill into.

All good tips here. I had to drill through a 1/4” SS plate a while back and used my HSS Skil bits. They are gold in color and do a fine job with SS. As others have mentioned, punch your holes to keep them centered, use cutting fluid or WD40, and I’d recommend using a high torque plug in drill. I think I used a hammer drill. Go slow, don’t try to speed through the cut, it will take a few minutes depending on the thickness, I recall it took me about 15 minutes to drill that 1/4” hole. 

Something to think about might be tp add some kind of bracing between the legs, something like an axel to keep the legs from bending in . It might not be a problem if rolling on concrete patio or a smooth wood deck but if on grass or something rough it might be a problem. As for a drill i have an real old beat up dewalt that will go through a 3/8th inch web on a steel I beam. Just take your time 

Im  a machinist so I drill a lot of ss.  Order some good cobalt drill bits.   Order a good cutting fluid too or some kind of oil for the bit.  If you are only doing four holes you are probably fine with cheaper bits from home depot.  Just dont spin too fast or you will probably burn them up quick.

Center punches are a great idea. Drilling a hole is usually less of an issue than drilling accurately, and the center punches/pilots will help with this. I am considering adding four adjustable casters like you posted to the Blackstone Pro Series. 

If you are worried about it, and the legs are magnetic, you could rent a mag drill (not worth buying for 8 holes). 

I just got the capability to weld stainless steel at home for the first time in ages. I joked with my spouse that I could now go from a grill consumer to grill producer. She was not amused. Look out for more posts in the DIY forum...

It is sheet metal isn't it?  No big deal to drill it. 

As many have said already just center punch it and then drill away.  Pilot hole first and then step up in size. 

A step drill would do really well.   Search on Amazon for "step drill".  Here is an example of what you will find and they work really well on sheet metal.

image.png.1a4f8043eddf67d5827504f311e0e43a.png

11 hours ago, Alphonse said:

It is sheet metal isn't it?

I guess so.  It's not cast or forged.

11 hours ago, Alphonse said:

No big deal to drill it.

Apparently not, based on the preceding replies.  My only experience with stainless sheet metal was when I was in high school trying to make a stainless steel firewall for a '33 Ford coupe.  Based on the comments here, I can see my mistakes; not enough pressure, no cutting oil and drill speed too high.