keeperovdeflame

Quality Sun Protection

I thought of making this post as I was unpacking a new Panama hat I just got as an online delivery. After a misspent youth of surfing and sun worship in SoCal, I suffer with skin cancer. I had no real issues until I turned 50 but then started to get the unfortunate dividends of a life in the sun. After two trips under the knife, and months of cancer killing cream treatments,  for squamous cancers on my face and head, I live my life in hats, sunscreen, and regular 6 month visits to the dermatologist. I am actually doing pretty well for the amount of sun damage I already have. The creams have killed a large number of my pre cancer growths, and wearing hats and sun screen really seems to help. Dealing with all of this, has given me quite a collection of hats. I wear them absolutely ever time I go outside, even just to get the paper. I found a great source for quality hats online, and though I have no connection to them other than as a customer, I thought the information may help others needing protection from the sun and a good hat. I have a ton of hats some of them custom made and frightfully expensive. I also have some every day work horse hats from a company called David Morgan which include hats from Akurba an Australian hat maker often compared to the American company  Stetson. Here is their link. Most hats from David Morgan are under $200 which for a quality hat is a real bargain. I have a couple of Akurba hats that I have been wearing for over 10 years. I hope this info helps someone. 

https://www.davidmorgan.com/shop/category/2/hats/

I am a big fan of several of my Tilley hats....

https://www.tilley.com/us_en/men/hats.html

I see your link has some of these too... The Outbacks are really nice but they are sorta hot in the summer.  I have the TH5 Hemp hat that I really love.. it breathes quite well to be one of their non-airflow models... I have the Montana fedora that I wear when it's cold sometimes.... 

21 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I am a big fan of several of my Tilley hats....

https://www.tilley.com/us_en/men/hats.html

I see your link has some of these too... The Outbacks are really nice but they are sorta hot in the summer.  I have the TH5 Hemp hat that I really love.. it breathes quite well to be one of their non-airflow models... I have the Montana fedora that I wear when it's cold sometimes.... 

Yeah, John, the Tilly hats  are really nice as well, I have a few of those too. The Akurba and David Morgan panamas and hemp hats have a nice town and country look, I have even worn them with a suit to weddings,  and unfortunately even a few funerals, and other formal occasions. I just got a hemp hat with air flow vents that is extremely comfortable. I usually don't wear anything that has vent openings, because they give less sun protection,  but on really hot days and occasions,  they are definitely more comfortable. 

Dealing with the same issues too.  But I wasn't playing in the California sun, mine was bucking hay bales and chucking watermelons up into the trucks.   But I did spend too much time swimming and water skiing in the Columbia in my mis-spent youth.  But who knew back then that it was bad for you?   Dermatologist told me I had 3 choices, slather sun screen, umbrella, or a great big hat with wide brims. I don't have any hats that sat me back $200 but I'm sort of a cheap screw so mine are mostly straw and a couple of Tilly for winter time.  About croaked when I ordered from the link below and had to pay $70+ for a Sam Houston but it had the widest brim I could find.  https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm

I have the Tilley LTM6 Airflow. I was pretty reluctant about buying it due to the price, but I've been using it for probably 7 years now and would buy another in a skinny minute if something happened to this one. Takes an amazing amount of punishment. I flatten it out in my suitcase, stuff it (literally) into my backpack, roll it up and cram it into my back pocket, etc., and run it thru the washer every six months or so, and it still looks as new as the day I bought it. Worth every penny. 

THank you for the Links I am Looking for some new hats .

I am dealing with the same issues also and it got worse since I had photodynamic therapy .

You would think I was a Vampire if I am not wearing a hat and the sun hit certain spots on my face from the burning sensations .

1 hour ago, WoodyT said:

THank you for the Links I am Looking for some new hats .

I am dealing with the same issues also and it got worse since I had photodynamic therapy .

You would think I was a Vampire if I am not wearing a hat and the sun hit certain spots on my face from the burning sensations .

Sorry to hear that Woody, They gave me a cream called Efudex that seems to kill and disintegrate cancer cells.  They gave me strict orders not to go out in the sun while I was in treatment with the cream. I even did it during the winter so the sun was not as strong when I had to go out with a hat. Yeah any time I get a spot that itches or burns it seems like it comes back basil or  squamous after the biopsy. I go to the dermatologist every 6 mos for a check up. Last one was clean not even any pre cancers. Will pray for you buddy, 

Grace and Peace. 

1 hour ago, keeperovdeflame said:

They gave me a cream called Efudex that seems to kill and disintegrate cancer cells.  They gave me strict orders not to go out in the sun while I was in treatment with the cream. ... I go to the dermatologist every 6 mos for a check up. Last one was clean not even any pre cancers. Will pray for you buddy, 

When I lived in Minnesota and North Dakota I fished quite a lot.  One year my logbook totaled over 400 hours.  That's a lot of sun exposure—and I didn't take any precautions.  So, now I'm paying the price.  I'm paying for my dermatologist's son's college.

Right now I'm on one of those creams, Imiquimod 5%.  It's a regimen of 2-weeks of cream, then 2-weeks off, repeated two more times.