Family_cook

Temp jumps from opening lid

Very possible I am the last one to learn this technique, but since I have not read of it I thought I would share. 

With a good coal bed even as low as 200, whenever I open the lid to mop, turn, take a temp reading, move a probe or whatever, when I close the lid I tend to get a temp jump.  I'm sure everyone has experienced this issue and we all know getting temps to drop is more difficult than getting them to rise.  A couple weeks ago I started closing my bottom vent prior to opening the lid and after 10+ cooks I can say it works.  I leave the top vent alone and once the lid is closed I return the bottom vent to its' previous position.  The temp seems to go right back to where it was.

Wow, this could be life changing.  I struggle with this constantly and avoid opening the lid for this reason.  I can see how this helps, with the bottom vent closed opening the lid won't create a suction draw through the lit coals.  Can't wait to try it!!

But the Akorn lid issue doesn't involve the vent. It's pulling air in the top of the fire bowl, at the edge of the grate. Closing the lower vent won't hurt, but expect a minor benefit.

Frank

This is good advice but on my kamado the fire will still flare up if I open the lid immediately after closing the bottom vent. This is a technique that I have been doing for a year or so now. I close the bottom vent, wait 5 minutes, then open the lid and do what needs to be done quickly. I close the lid and wait another 5 minutes before opening the bottom vent back up.

11 hours ago, 58limited said:

This is good advice but on my kamado the fire will still flare up if I open the lid immediately after closing the bottom vent. This is a technique that I have been doing for a year or so now. I close the bottom vent, wait 5 minutes, then open the lid and do what needs to be done quickly. I close the lid and wait another 5 minutes before opening the bottom vent back up.

Takes planning but this could be the holy grail! 

These are great tips! I've been closing the bottom vent whenever I open the lid, but I didn't think about leaving the vent closed for a few minutes after closing the lid. Will definitely try it next time.

That is what I do, and it does work. I might add one more tip, and that is to choreograph what you are going to do each time you open the lid. Place every thing you will need close at hand and arranged so you can easily get it when you need it. Take a moment and think about what you need to accomplish then work that in to step one, step two, etc. Pre planned activity is much faster and more directly to the point than just opening the lid and then thinking about what you are going to do.  If you need to pull what your cooking for any reason have the pans, foil, spray, etc all laid out. This will minimize the time you have the lid open, which also helps minimize temp shifts.