Sign in to follow this  
Easto

Prime Rib came out chewy

I used the Reverse Sear Method from Serious Eats.  

Oven 170 degrees until internal temp was 130. 

Took roast out to rest 

10 mins @ 500 degrees right before eating. 

When I cut the roast it was nice and pick and real juicy.   

When I ate it, it was fairly tough.  

Ive cooked this way 5-6 times before and it was almost fork tender. 

I bought the roast a few months ago and froze it.   4 days ago I took it out to thaw in the fridge.  Could this be the issue?

frozen too long? 

Thawed too long?

something else?

I don't think the freezing has anything to do with it. I have a really, really cold refrigerator. A large roast would take 3-4 days to thaw. A small roast 1-2 days. I doubt the thawing had anything to do with it. I'm guessing @SmallBBQr is on the right track with the grade.

There are a few butcher shops around that sell premium, Choice grade steaks. They advertise them as just as good as Prime grade. They are not just as good. Good but not as good as Prime grade. There is another local store that sells true Prime grade steaks. They are expensive but when I want a true treat I go with Prime grade. 

I bought a few roasts at the same time from the same place.  

The others all came out amazing.  This one, for some reason, wasn’t as good.  

It was ok, just a little too tough for Prime Rib.   

11 hours ago, SmallBBQr said:

What was the grade of meat?  The only time I've had tougher/chewier results reverse searing is typical of purchasing a lower grade of beef. 

Yeah, I would also look toward the quality of the cut. Also, I am suspect of the 10 min at 500 just prior to eating. I am thinking that would create more brown and less moisture  around the edges of each slice. Less moisture is a major factor in both flavor and tenderness. I do a PR every Christmas. To keep it warm for the table, I put it in a Yeti cooler that I preheat with hot water then dry with towels. Works great and does not add any additional heat to the outer surface of the cut, just retains internal heat from the cook. However, my experience is that two different roasts with exactly the same cooking method can have individual differences in both taste and tenderness.

With all this talk I went online to my local Fresh Market. This weekend they have on sale First Cut, 10 oz, Prime Grade, NY strip steaks for $11.99 each. Plus 5-6 count shrimp for $12.99 per lb. Tomorrow is my birthday. I think I have my birthday dinner picked out. B)

On 8/2/2019 at 8:48 AM, keeperovdeflame said:

Yeah, I would also look toward the quality of the cut. Also, I am suspect of the 10 min at 500 just prior to eating.

I've done both Kamado reverse sear and oven reverse sear prime rib many time, always finishing up with a super-hot sear just before serving and never had the "tough" issue @Easto is wondering about.  I sear at 550 in my house oven or sometimes even hotter in the Keg.  Buying the bulk of my meat at Costco, I either get AAA or Prime cuts grades.

I do recall purchasing some "cheap" prime rib at SuperStore a few years back - I think it was a AA, and my usual crowd commented about it being less tender.

Happy Birthday @ckreef!

20 hours ago, ckreef said:

With all this talk I went online to my local Fresh Market. This weekend they have on sale First Cut, 10 oz, Prime Grade, NY strip steaks for $11.99 each. Plus 5-6 count shrimp for $12.99 per lb. Tomorrow is my birthday. I think I have my birthday dinner picked out. B)

Happy Birthday, my friend, that does sound like an amazing and satisfying Birthday dinner.Enjoy

9 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Happy Birthday, my friend, that does sound like an amazing and satisfying Birthday dinner.Enjoy

Yes sir indeed! I also got some crab to stuff those monster shrimp with and I found some baby heirloom carrots B)

6 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Yes sir indeed! I also got some crab to stuff those monster shrimp with and I found some baby heirloom carrots B)

My inner spidey sense detects a lack of "BACON" in your plans for culinary bliss and I don't know if true bliss is attainable without BACON. Did I mention BACON............................