Proud new papa!!

Kamado Tom

Brought home my new grill baby, a BGE XL demo from an EGGfest this weekend. My help was a no show and I had food to cook so I muscled it off the truck and into position myself (do not attempt this unless you're sure you are strong/foolish enough) and went through the process of aligning the halves a little better.

After aligning and a little cleaning it was time to fire it up and christen it with a beautiful 3lb. Angus cowboy steak. I cooked it low and slow on the BGE shooting for around 225-250 while I tried to figure out the reggulator top vent and see where it likes to be set for given temps., we ended up settling on 240 which worked great. I had plans for the egg so I did the final sear on the KJ, worked out pretty well.

Finally, to get to the business of why we got the XL I put on a 16lb Prime brisket for a nice all nighter. I didn't get the settings quite right and the temp crept up over night and eventually hit 275* about 7hrs. in but it actually helped it push through the stall. I finally locked in my settings after I had wrapped the brisket and had it sitting @ 250F for the duration of the cook, we'll see how it turned out when I slice it up for dinner tonight.

With a total of about 14hrs. of cooking time the XL looks to have burned off about half of the KJBB I loaded it up with to begin with.

All in all I'm very impressed with the big egg, I'll probably switch out the rEGGulator for a Smokeware chimney but more for the weather cap design and preferable vent setting system than any lack of functionality. 

fullsizeoutput_6af.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6b2.jpeg

ysSzlQijQg+QLEIXEMlGoA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_6b3.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Kamado Tom said:

Brought home my new grill baby, a BGE XL demo from an EGGfest this weekend. My help was a no show and I had food to cook so I muscled it off the truck and into position myself (do not attempt this unless you're sure you a strong/foolish enough) and went through the process of aligning the halves a little better.

Your screen name has been changed from Kamado Tom to Kamado Ahhnold.  Great looking food.  Enjoy that beautiful XL.

Very nice looking Kamado and you got the BGE demo deal as well. Can't really beat that. Funny that your think about switching from the Regulator to a Smoke Ware. I just did exactly the opposite and really love  the new Regulator. I find it  dials in temps much better than my old SmokeWare for low and moderate heat cooks, and is especially good at controlling high temp cook like pizza. I can hold 650 without the worry of going nuclear.

7 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Very nice looking Kamado and you got the BGE demo deal as well. Can't really beat that. Funny that your think about switching from the Regulator to a Smoke Ware. I just did exactly the opposite and really love  the new Regulator. I find it  dials in temps much better than my old SmokeWare for low and moderate heat cooks, and is especially good at controlling high temp cook like pizza. I can hold 650 without the worry of going nuclear.

I haven't decided yet on the vent, the 2 things I really like about the KJ Control Tower are the weather cap and the graduations which make for easily repeatable adjustments. The Smokeware chimney is similar in function to the KJ.