Frankb

First low and slow chicken

Howdy everyone, just did a spatchcock chicken on my  Akorn. Nothing fancy, put some lemon rings under the skin,brushed it with some ghee, and liberal salt and pepper, and mikes spice rub. Put in on when grill temp was about 240. The temp slowly rose to about 360 over  2 and 1/2 hrs. Didn’t get  in a twist about temp climbing. Removed bird when internal temp was 180  and skin was nice and golden brown. Succulent and juicy and done. Cooked some corn on the cob and asparagus on upper rack during the last 45 minutes or so. I give my self a B. There is certainly room for improvement, but for a first attempt I am satisfied. FrankB

It's tough to beat chicken over charcoal.  Nice job.

I have some questions, just for my use in future cooks–

1. Did you brine the bird?
  2. Was it placed directly over the charcoal or did you use some sort of heat deflector or drippings catch-pan?
  3. Was the skin texture to your liking?

Nicely done.  For longer cooks such as brisket or pork butts you will need to figure out the temperature jump. If cooking a longer cook protein a temp jump to 360 can be a big problem and difficult to bring down although it can be done.

In response to the questions and concerns in previous posts, I did have the deflector in place, did not use a drip pan, but wish I did, skin could have been crisper, did not brine the bird, and as to the temp rising, that was by intent. I was following a recipe posted on YouTube where the poster indicated this was his method to crisp up the skin. I will say that temp control is at this stage of my experience pretty dicey, and like you say, once it gets too hot it is a b**tch to bring down. Frankb