Smokingdadbbq

My very first cook on the KJ Classic III - impressed

After doing a warm up burn in before the weekend when we were away I was excited to get home and do my first cook on my new kamado Joe 3. 

I reverse seared the tomahawk with the SloRoller at 250 until the IT hit 114 and then set it aside under foil while I change the setup for searing the steak and cast iron frying the shrimp. 

couldn’t be happier with the cook, it was also my first time using one of the two bags I picked up on the weekend of KJ charcoal, not sure how much of the awesome is the coal vs the grill but it all worked together to make a meal our guests will remember. Can’t wait to try more cooks. 

Posting a sneak peek before this hits my instagram page https://www.instagram.com/smokingdadbbq/

2FC60784-53BD-4279-BB72-AB461EC57629.jpeg

7BFD946D-EACE-4EDB-8D5E-C8D84F387965.jpeg

0127D95C-7813-42CC-B0F1-113F37341DF4.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Brandon Store said:

Really good looking food. Great pictures, the last picture on your first post looks like it could be a stock image for advertising. Nicely done. 

Thanks Brandon. All from an iPhone 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By GrillDawg
      Hey all!

New owner of a Kamado Joe. Been looking for a while but finally pulled the trigger with Atlanta Grilling Company's Father's Day sale. She arrived yesterday and still sitting in the garage as I need a couple buddies to come over to help move it out on the patio.

I love to grill but fairly new to the kamado scene. Any suggestions for a first cook?

Excited to be a part of this forum. Hoping to learn a lot!
    • By Smokingdadbbq
      This was unexpected, on Saturday  a grocery store had Tomahawks in for $16/lbs vs 28 at my local butcher so I thought I would give them a try. 

I used the Jess Pryles dry brine method (link) and left them uncovered in the fridge for three days flipping and drying once a day before cooking last night when I seasoned them with hardcore carnivores black rub

set the egg up for a reverse sear and eventually sliced into pure magic. Easily top 3 ever which was unexpected given their grocery store pedigree 

• By DaveBevan
      Hi,

Has anyone tried cooking a tomahawk steak in the joe jr.  Cooking area of 13" enough for the steak and the bone?  

if it's not an option ... then my next step is to move up to a classic.

If yes - please give me your thoughts on how you approached it.

Thanks,
    • By CentralTexBBQ
      King Crab, Smoked Salmon, Lobster, Lobster Tail, Shrimp (grilled and pan seared), Sweet Corn and Red Potato

A very bad pic ofspicy shrimp...

• By Lydia
      One of my favourite pizza combos.  

I used the John Lanzafame base recipe, which for one pizza is listed below but please note, I usually multiply by 4 to make two pizzas today and freeze the other two for another time:

1 teaspoon dried active yeast
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon sugar
      100ml (3 1/2 fl oz) warm water
      2 teaspoons oil, plus extra for greasing
      160g (5 1/2oz) all purpose flour (I used pizza flour)

1. Place first four ingredients in a bowl and whisk until just combined.
      2. Slowly whisk in olive oil
      3. Leave in a warm spot for ten minutes until it's all thick and bubbly
      4. Add the flour and knead for 15 mins.  (with my usual MO of making 4 at a time, I start the kneading on the kitchenmaid on speed 2 until just combined and then continue on speed 1 for 15 mins).
      5. Rub the inside of a large pot or bowl with a bit of oil, place the dough inside and cover with a clean tea towel and leave for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs or until doubled in size.
      6. Give it a good punch to expel the trapped air.
      7. At this stage, it can be wrapped and refrigerated or frozen.  (I usually put in an additional freezer bag because it really likes to expand and will pop a whole and blow out of regular plastic wrap).  If making from frozen, bring to room temp and place nice and cosy inside a clean tea towel until risen by half again.

8.  If going from

Toppings:

I used :

- one can of whole Italian tomatoes, blended and cooked down with a little water, salt and Italian herbs.  (this does me for 4 pizzas - I usually put half in - a small sealy bag so it's ready to defrost next time I pull out the two frozen doughs)
      - fresh mozzarella which you get in the tub of whey and which you tear apart
      - 12 lovely Aussie prawns (shrimp) which are peeled but not cooked prior to placing not the pizza
      - relatively thinly sliced zucchini
      - cherry tomatoes halved
      - some little chunks of home made pesto which I shaved off from a block I keep in the freezer
      - rind of one lemon microplaned
      - a couple of tablespoons of panko crumbs
      - a good dash of olive oil to get the panko and lemon combined and so it isn't dry. 

I cranked the kamado up to 550F

When assembling, i put a little bit of semolina on some greaseproof paper before rolling out the dough onto it.    
      I am in the  camp of sauce first, followed by cheese and then the toppings, pretty much in the order they're listed above.

To cook it, I had the steel grates in position and then the deflectors on top and then used some terracotta pot plant feet as a spacer between the deflectors and the pizza stone. (a great tip from Kismet Kamado)

It was pretty much done after 10 mins with a nice crispy bottom ... no soggy bottoms at Chez Lydia! :-)