Large steak cook

Having some guys over on Sunday evening to hang out and I'm wanting to get them all steaks. Would prefer to do some kind of reverse sear.

Since I won't be able to fit them all on the grill, I was thinking put them all in the oven to temp and then sear them. 

Anyone see a flaw in my plan? Any advice on grilling 10-12 steaks on a KJ Classic II?

While there's nothing wrong with cooking them in the oven, and then searing on the KJ, you won't get the good charcoal flavour, at least not like you would if you cooked them in the KJ. How big are the steaks, you should be able to fit most of them on the grill, no? Do you have the extender rack, because if you did you'd be able to do all of them on the grill.

The other option would be to cook as many as you can on the KJ, and then wrap them loosely in foil while the others cook, to keep them warm. Then once they are all done, open up the vents, get the grill hot and then sear them. 

Unless you are planning to have everyone sit down and eat simultaneously, why not just serve the amount you can comfortably cook at the same time. 

Guys aren't going to care if they get the first steak or last the one fifteen minutes later, as long as it's hot off the grill... 

Now sure how thick the steaks are but let's assume a cooking time of about 4 minutes per side. Put 3 steaks on. After 4 minutes flip and put another 3 steaks on. When the first 3 come off flip the second 3 and put 3 more on. Etc....... 

That way you have 3 steaks coming off the grill every 4 minutes and you only have 6 steaks on the grill at any one time. Everyone is eating at relatively the same time. In theory you could roll like that for as long as your coals last. 

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I guess I was wondering what to do if I'm trying to reverse sear them. My buddy is going to let me borrow his grate expander so I'll have another level to put them on. Looks like I'm going to cook 12.

Haven't tried it but here is what I was considering for a large gathering...   Low and slow (in batches if necessary) until ~10 below desired internal temp -- could be done in advance.  Pull off and vacuum seal.  Sous vide to hold or reheat to temp.  Sear on hot grill (in batches if necessary).

7 hours ago, GrillDawg said:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I guess I was wondering what to do if I'm trying to reverse sear them. My buddy is going to let me borrow his grate expander so I'll have another level to put them on. Looks like I'm going to cook 12.

Yah, that will be difficult on a single grill!