Sign in to follow this  
GrillDawg

Large steak cook

Having some guys over on Sunday evening to hang out and I'm wanting to get them all steaks. Would prefer to do some kind of reverse sear.

Since I won't be able to fit them all on the grill, I was thinking put them all in the oven to temp and then sear them. 

Anyone see a flaw in my plan? Any advice on grilling 10-12 steaks on a KJ Classic II?

While there's nothing wrong with cooking them in the oven, and then searing on the KJ, you won't get the good charcoal flavour, at least not like you would if you cooked them in the KJ. How big are the steaks, you should be able to fit most of them on the grill, no? Do you have the extender rack, because if you did you'd be able to do all of them on the grill.

The other option would be to cook as many as you can on the KJ, and then wrap them loosely in foil while the others cook, to keep them warm. Then once they are all done, open up the vents, get the grill hot and then sear them. 

Unless you are planning to have everyone sit down and eat simultaneously, why not just serve the amount you can comfortably cook at the same time. 

Guys aren't going to care if they get the first steak or last the one fifteen minutes later, as long as it's hot off the grill... 

Now sure how thick the steaks are but let's assume a cooking time of about 4 minutes per side. Put 3 steaks on. After 4 minutes flip and put another 3 steaks on. When the first 3 come off flip the second 3 and put 3 more on. Etc....... 

That way you have 3 steaks coming off the grill every 4 minutes and you only have 6 steaks on the grill at any one time. Everyone is eating at relatively the same time. In theory you could roll like that for as long as your coals last. 

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I guess I was wondering what to do if I'm trying to reverse sear them. My buddy is going to let me borrow his grate expander so I'll have another level to put them on. Looks like I'm going to cook 12.

Haven't tried it but here is what I was considering for a large gathering...   Low and slow (in batches if necessary) until ~10 below desired internal temp -- could be done in advance.  Pull off and vacuum seal.  Sous vide to hold or reheat to temp.  Sear on hot grill (in batches if necessary).

7 hours ago, GrillDawg said:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I guess I was wondering what to do if I'm trying to reverse sear them. My buddy is going to let me borrow his grate expander so I'll have another level to put them on. Looks like I'm going to cook 12.

Yah, that will be difficult on a single grill!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Smokingdadbbq
      This was unexpected, on Saturday  a grocery store had Tomahawks in for $16/lbs vs 28 at my local butcher so I thought I would give them a try. 

I used the Jess Pryles dry brine method (link) and left them uncovered in the fridge for three days flipping and drying once a day before cooking last night when I seasoned them with hardcore carnivores black rub

set the egg up for a reverse sear and eventually sliced into pure magic. Easily top 3 ever which was unexpected given their grocery store pedigree 

• By DaveBevan
      Hi,

Has anyone tried cooking a tomahawk steak in the joe jr.  Cooking area of 13" enough for the steak and the bone?  

if it's not an option ... then my next step is to move up to a classic.

If yes - please give me your thoughts on how you approached it.

Thanks,
    • By DerHusker
      So one of my local markets had Rib Roasts on sale. I decided pick one up and cut some Ribeye Steaks off it.

I unwrapped it and cut the twine holding on the bones

and removed them.

I cut 3 2” steaks and the end piece ended up at approximately 1.5”. (I chose the second one from the right to cook)

I seasoned it with some Primo Chicago Stockyard Dry Rub. I wrapped this in plastic wrap and let it rest for 4 hours.

I had made a fire using some almond wood in our fire pit. After it was nice and hot I placed the steak over the flames.

After approximately 1.5 minutes I flipped it.

After another 1.5 minutes I moved over to the other side of the grill an let it come up to an IT of 130 degrees. I then brought it inside and let it rest on the counter for 8 minutes.

I then sliced it in half.

I then sliced it into approximately 3/8” slices and plated it up with some asparagus, a baked potato and a Stone Coffee Milk Stout.

It was delicious.

Thanks for looking.
    • By ndg_2000
      Hi

I have just got my rotisserie attachment sorted out for the kamado

As I have not cooked with a rotisserie before I was looking for tips/cooking temperature advice for a whole chicken as a starter so I can get a feel for it. 

Also some other cooks that a rotisserie is well suited for.

Thanks in advance 
      Nigel 
    • By SPORO
      I just ordered a KJ Classic II over the weekend, and I am beyond excited to start learning and cooking on it when it arrives! I have heard that one should do a few "dry runs" where you heat the grill up without any food before cooking on it. When I was looking at different kamado brands in person, one sales rep told me it was necessary to "set" the ceramic or something like that by heating it up to a few hundred degrees for at least 30 minutes before trying to cook anything on it. I'm honestly a bit skeptical of that claim, but I'm also new to this style of grill, and since it's a significant investment, I obviously want to treat it well and take care of it so that I can enjoy cooking with it for years to come. Anyway, sorry for rambling. I'm looking forward to any advice and suggestions on getting my grill set up and cooking once it arrives! Suggestions on what to cook first also welcome! My wife and I were talking about it the other day and were a bit undecided. Thanks in advance!