fafrd

Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store

23 minutes ago, Jack 101 said:

Honestly, I just don't get enough liquid dripping from ribs cooked indirect at +/-250* to warrant building an aluminum foil lip.

Yea, ribs aren't too bad - it's mainly brisket that generates an eccessive amount of drippings...

14 minutes ago, Scott Roberts said:

Late to the party but I love the Ceramic Grill Store, just for my KJJ I have the Woo ring, stainless drip pan, and a 12in wok!

Scott

Great to know - thanks!

It has never occurred to me to cook in a wok over a lump charcoal fire - what do you cook in it?

21 minutes ago, Scott Roberts said:

Not me cooking but I thought it would be better to see something cooked in a wok than me telling you!

Scott

Looks great, but what's the advantage of cooking in a wok on your stovetop?  Getting to higher temps than you can reach on a stovetop?  An effectively bigger burner diameter allowing you to use a larger wok?  Or just getting all of those fumes and mess out of the kitchen?

1 minute ago, fafrd said:

Getting to higher temps than you can reach on a stovetop?  An effectively bigger burner diameter allowing you to use a larger wok?  Or just getting all of those fumes and mess out of the kitchen?

Yup!!!!! Lol

Scott

2 hours ago, fafrd said:

I'm a very low and slow smoker.  I smoke ribs in the Fatboy at 175-225F over 5-6 hours.  Brisket goes 20-24 hours.   I imagine your ribs are cooked at higher temps than mine.

I cook ribs unwrapped at 250

1 minute ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I cook ribs unwrapped at 250

Yeah, that’ll go a bit faster.  I only wrap when they are pulled (and don’t put anything on them other than rub until they are in people’s plates (at which point everyone is free to choose however much of the various sauce options they prefer).

If I hit 250 I’ll start closing down the vents and if it drops to 150 I’ll start opening them up.  I have a fan and a temperature controller to keep temps wherever I want them but generally don’t bother with ribs (overnight brisket is another matter).

The FatBoy is very temperature stable and I can usually get temps dialed in to ~200F and go most of the smoke without touching the vents.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the Kamado compares...

12 hours ago, fafrd said:

Looks great, but what's the advantage of cooking in a wok on your stovetop?  Getting to higher temps than you can reach on a stovetop?  An effectively bigger burner diameter allowing you to use a larger wok?  Or just getting all of those fumes and mess out of the kitchen?

I have two woks and use them all the time.   An ideal way to cook veg and a huge variety of side or main dishes.   Billions of Asians can't be wrong.   My preferred route is to use the side burner on an otherwise rarely used gas grill.   Quick startup,  precise temperature adjustments  and  stir fried foods can be cooked in minutes to coincide with the time that your main course is ready.