Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store

fafrd

I orignally picked up a Kamado for low and slow which has now opened me up to the world of cooking pizza in a Kamado.  I'm pretty sold on the Adjustable Rig and plan to pick one up to be used both for pizza cooking (with pizza stone high in the dome) and for low and slow.

For basic grilling of hamburgers and such as well as high-temp searing of sous-vided meats, I've got a basic weber and it's served me well, but as I look over the other products CGS offers, I'm starting to think about whether the Kamado can be configured for similar grilling and whether it could perform better than the Weber.  Getting rid of the old Weber would make the wife happy and it seems as though the Kamado should easily be able to meet and exceed the temps of the Weber and probably consuming less fuel at that.

So I'm interested in what set-ups people use for searing, and especially whether the CGS Spider with a smaller grill is a good searing solution.

In the Kamao, the top of the firebowl is much higher off the coal grate than the space between the charcoal grate and the grill in a Weber, so a great deal more charcoal would be needed to get the coal bed up as close to a cooking grate positioned on top of the fire bowl.

The CGS Spider allows a 16" cooking grate to be positioned 2" below the top of the firebowl, so less lump is needed for the same degree of direct heat.

Is this a good solution?  Are there other good ways to configure a Kamado for high-temp searing without consuming a huge amount of lump?

One idea I had was to put the larger Weber charcoal grate into the firebowl.  This will get the coal bed up high enough to sear on a grill supported by the firebowl, but my firebowl is not perfectly round so the larger coal grate is not as stable as I'd like.

Any comments on how effective the CGS Spider (or Woo Ring) are to configure a Kamado for high-temp searing, as well as any other set-ups/configurations that work well for that purpose appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 5:46 PM, Kamado Tom said:

@ 5:30 put the KJ grates on the bottom then the AR then the full CGS grate on top with the oval rack in the middle.

A full 20"  grid below the AR, an 18" grid in the midfle position, and a 20" grid on top certainly provides a solution supporting three levels of ribs (flat) but there is one serious problem I have with that set-up:

The lower-most rack will be blocked both by the 1/4" ring at the bottom of the A/R as well as the 1/4" partial ring it the front which is 1/2" above the lower 1/4" ring.

I've used a 2" thick ceramic post to illustrate the issue:

3F7DDDD8-F89A-414B-B394-F2D19F54329B.thumb.jpeg.5ccb5cdc702c724a8d11ca6ad7053952.jpeg

When it comes time to rotate, the lowest rack of ribs needs to be grabbed with tongs and lifted 3/4" to clear the partial ring.  Total clearance between the top of the partial ring and the bottom of the ring associated with the central 18" grate is 2-1/2",  so if the thickness of the slab of ribs is 1-3/4", you'll just barely make it (and probably scraping off some precious rib rub in the process).

That partial ring is at the same height as the lowest position for the adjustable support rods and I believe it is intended to support partway sliding-out of the 13"x17" oval grate.

I'm not sure I see any use for a sliding grate in that lowest position, so I am thinking about cutting out the central portion of that partial ring.  That would mean only having to lift the lowermost rack of ribs up 1/4" over the lower ring, which should be much easier with 2-1/2" clearance (and without scraping off any rib rub).

The largest number of rib racks I'll ever have on the lowest level will be two racks side-by-side, so if I cut out the central 10" or 12" from the 15-1/2" wide partial ring, that should be plenty of space and will still leave me 1-3/4" or 2-3/4" 'stubs' to partially support a slding rack in that lowest position.

Is there any importand capability owners use the center portion of that lower partial ring for?  Have others used the standard (unmodified) 3-layer setup and rotated rib racks without issue?

Nice Video, John, and I am glad you chose to high light Tom's AR. IMO the AR is one of the most versatile and high quality rack systems made. I cooked on an AR in my first kamado a Vision and now use an AR in my large BGE. One of the key factors for me is that the AR can lift whatever you are cooking way up high into the available space in your dome. If you put a pizza stone on top of the AR you get both heat from below and heat reflected back down on your pie from the inside of your dome. I also use the cross bars to hold pans of veggies  above my deflector and under the grate  my main protein is on. here is a pic with an example of that.

IMG_0537.thumb.jpeg.fae4f81c880c4bc62a8ab5b7fd441190.jpeg

Also Tom makes a brisket / rib stone and rack that are  13 x 17 to cure burn ends on rib and brisket cooks

IMG_0576.thumb.jpeg.86658950a88c3796531cc1a93ceea948.jpeg

The big advantage is all the gear Tom makes to fit inside his AR. There is an extender that fits ontop of the AR which will lift your grates and stone even higher as you can see in this pic along with the drip pans you showed in your video.

IMG_0550.thumb.jpeg.5f2393aba3caf8f833bedc2a21242945.jpeg

After cooking on the AR for years and years, I am trying to come up with some addition I think the system needs, and honestly I can not really come up with one. Of course, I do have pretty much all the accessory gear Tom makes so it just takes some creativity to come up with a set up to cook what ever I want. As long as you have the gear to do it, you can make a wide range of set ups. Thinking about that brought up probably my only suggestion to Tom. What about marketing kits with a variety of gear at a lower price point than what you can purchase the gear individually. I am not a retailer but I am thinking purchasing more gear at a slightly discounted price would still turn a bigger profit. Please tell Tom to keep up the good work. I truly love his gear, it is so sturdy and well made it will probably be cooking longer than I will. 

2 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Nice Video, John, and I am glad you chose to high light Tom's AR. IMO the AR is one of the most versatile and high quality rack systems made. I cooked on an AR in my first kamado a Vision and now use an AR in my large BGE. One of the key factors for me is that the AR can lift whatever you are cooking way up high into the available space in your dome. If you put a pizza stone on top of the AR you get both heat from below and heat reflected back down on your pie from the inside of your dome. I also use the cross bars to hold pans of veggies  above my deflector and under the grate  my main protein is on. here is a pic with an example of that.

IMG_0537.thumb.jpeg.fae4f81c880c4bc62a8ab5b7fd441190.jpeg

Also Tom makes a brisket / rib stone and rack that are  13 x 17 to cure burn ends on rib and brisket cooks

IMG_0576.thumb.jpeg.86658950a88c3796531cc1a93ceea948.jpeg

The big advantage is all the gear Tom makes to fit inside his AR. There is an extender that fits ontop of the AR which will lift your grates and stone even higher as you can see in this pic along with the drip pans you showed in your video.

IMG_0550.thumb.jpeg.5f2393aba3caf8f833bedc2a21242945.jpeg

After cooking on the AR for years and years, I am trying to come up with some addition I think the system needs, and honestly I can not really come up with one. Of course, I do have pretty much all the accessory gear Tom makes so it just takes some creativity to come up with a set up to cook what ever I want. As long as you have the gear to do it, you can make a wide range of set ups. Thinking about that brought up probably my only suggestion to Tom. What about marketing kits with a variety of gear at a lower price point than what you can purchase the gear individually. I am not a retailer but I am thinking purchasing more gear at a slightly discounted price would still turn a bigger profit. Please tell Tom to keep up the good work. I truly love his gear, it is so sturdy and well made it will probably be cooking longer than I will. 

Yeah, the A/R is a pretty fantastic piece of kit.

The only bugaboo I have with the Large A/R is the one I described.  If that lower partial ring were not present in the lower front of the A/R, you could position a 20" x 15" Oval Grid on top of the lower ring (with a notch cut out of the back to fit around the rear support post), another 20" x 15" grid in the middle position (with or without a notch in the back), and a 20" round grid on top.

That would allow you to smoke 6 racks of babybacks with ease (and as many as 9 racks if you want to trim to -5-16" long as Tom suggests).

4 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Thats and easy fix, scrap the main grate, place a 13 x 17 on both the front and back supports you don't like and your good to go for two more racks above that. You probably loose a 1/4" from where you main grate would sit under the AR. 

There is no corresponding partial ring at the back - only in the front.

Also, I considered what you are proposing using the two support rods in the lowest position, but that doesn't leave enough space for a rack of ribs if there is another grate in the middle position and if you put the middle rack in the upper position, then there is plenty of room for ribs on the lowest grid but then not enough between the middle grid and the 20" grid on top of the A/R to fit ribs without raising the top grid by an inch or so (which then causes headroom problems with the dome).

Moving tmain grate from under the A/R to the lowest position sacrifices 1-3/16" of vertical space and there is unfortunately not enough slack in the entire design to make up for that (at least not in a PB24/LG24).

Also, a 13" x 17" won't reach the 1/4" lower ring - you need a 20" length (diameter) to sit outside the lower ring and be supported directly without use of the adjustable bars (like the 20" top grate).

The opening is 15-1/2" wide, so unfortunately, the 16" x 20" oblong grate won't fit either.  You need to cut one more bar off of either end of the 16" x 20" (or just cut one bar and accept that it won't be perfectly centered) to get it to fit the large A/R.

But you still need to cut out the center of the lower partial ring to be able to easily slide a rack of ribs off of that grate.

As I said, I spoke to Tom at CSG today and he essentially agreed that that was the only way to hold 3 layers of ribs (unless you want to perform unnatural acts by removing the entire A/R or lifting up the middle grate when it comes time to rotate.

11 hours ago, fafrd said:

There is no corresponding partial ring at the back - only in the front.

Also, I considered what you are proposing using the two support rods in the lowest position, but that doesn't leave enough space for a rack of ribs if there is another grate in the middle position and if you put the middle rack in the upper position, then there is plenty of room for ribs on the lowest grid but then not enough between the middle grid and the 20" grid on top of the A/R to fit ribs without raising the top grid by an inch or so (which then causes headroom problems with the dome).

Moving tmain grate from under the A/R to the lowest position sacrifices 1-3/16" of vertical space and there is unfortunately not enough slack in the entire design to make up for that (at least not in a PB24/LG24).

Also, a 13" x 17" won't reach the 1/4" lower ring - you need a 20" length (diameter) to sit outside the lower ring and be supported directly without use of the adjustable bars (like the 20" top grate).

The opening is 15-1/2" wide, so unfortunately, the 16" x 20" oblong grate won't fit either.  You need to cut one more bar off of either end of the 16" x 20" (or just cut one bar and accept that it won't be perfectly centered) to get it to fit the large A/R.

But you still need to cut out the center of the lower partial ring to be able to easily slide a rack of ribs off of that grate.

As I said, I spoke to Tom at CSG today and he essentially agreed that that was the only way to hold 3 layers of ribs (unless you want to perform unnatural acts by removing the entire A/R or lifting up the middle grate when it comes time to rotate.

I think I found a configuration to easily smoke 3-4 racks of ribs on the A/R without needing to modify it.

The key concept is to use two layers cooking-grates each with their own drip pans (it’s never occurred to me to use more than 1 drip pan before).

So lowest A/R position holds 18” grid over a first drip pan supported by the placesetter (in legs-up position) followed by highest A/R position holding a second drip pan under the 20” top grid:

1FE5DDC0-AA7F-494E-B406-8649CC7C915C.thumb.jpeg.831065fc4bbfc6dec279d340651ad0c6.jpeg

Lower rack is now at felt-line with nothing blocking access, plenty of room to get in and out for rotation, and racks at lower level are completely shielded from ‘bone-goop’ dropping from the top level (as well as the option to increase moisture by adding some water).

For completeness, this set-up is using the CGS Spider to hold a 14” and a 15” heat deflector in ‘oblong’ configuration (so smoke only exits the firebowl from the sides) which provides an airspace to the placesetter in legs-up position (so little risk of the lower drip pan getting too much direct heat).

I’ll be using this set-up next time I’m smoking 3 racks of ribs...

On 8/12/2019 at 3:01 PM, fafrd said:

I orignally picked up a Kamado for low and slow which has now opened me up to the world of cooking pizza in a Kamado.  I'm pretty sold on the Adjustable Rig and plan to pick one up to be used both for pizza cooking (with pizza stone high in the dome) and for low and slow.

For basic grilling of hamburgers and such as well as high-temp searing of sous-vided meats, I've got a basic weber and it's served me well, but as I look over the other products CGS offers, I'm starting to think about whether the Kamado can be configured for similar grilling and whether it could perform better than the Weber.  Getting rid of the old Weber would make the wife happy and it seems as though the Kamado should easily be able to meet and exceed the temps of the Weber and probably consuming less fuel at that.

So I'm interested in what set-ups people use for searing, and especially whether the CGS Spider with a smaller grill is a good searing solution.

In the Kamao, the top of the firebowl is much higher off the coal grate than the space between the charcoal grate and the grill in a Weber, so a great deal more charcoal would be needed to get the coal bed up as close to a cooking grate positioned on top of the fire bowl.

The CGS Spider allows a 16" cooking grate to be positioned 2" below the top of the firebowl, so less lump is needed for the same degree of direct heat.

Is this a good solution?  Are there other good ways to configure a Kamado for high-temp searing without consuming a huge amount of lump?

One idea I had was to put the larger Weber charcoal grate into the firebowl.  This will get the coal bed up high enough to sear on a grill supported by the firebowl, but my firebowl is not perfectly round so the larger coal grate is not as stable as I'd like.

Any comments on how effective the CGS Spider (or Woo Ring) are to configure a Kamado for high-temp searing, as well as any other set-ups/configurations that work well for that purpose appreciated.

One thing that I have done with the Big Joe is to put my kick ash basket in the bottom ring of the divide and conquer and you can put the split grates right down next to the coals or use a deflector and grate combo or the half moon cast iron If you want heat up close. This has worked well for me.Perhaps this is possible with the CGS rig. The kick ash basket is not much money and well liked by a lot of people.