fafrd

Meater wireless temperature probe?

Technology seems to have advanced over the past 10 years since I bought my Barbeque Guru.

I found this Meater wireless probe for both internal meat temp and external smoker temp: https://www.amazon.com/MEATER-Thermometer-Rotisserie-Bluetooth-Connectivity/dp/B01GQMPJOC/ref=asc_df_B01GQMPJOC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=271682216857&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4139656067379457385&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032075&hvtargid=pla-464450725665&psc=1

Internal goes to 250F, external over 500, no wires and it will go 24 hours after the batteries have been recharged.

Sounds almost too good to be true, so I wanted to check whether there is any experience with this product before getting too excited.

Ideally, I’d like a product that will also allow me to control a 12V fan so I can establish temperature control but doing that with an old-fashioned cabled probe through the lid is not the end of the world.

But getting rid of the longer cable required to probe the meat, especially the gunk that builds up on it and the hassle of dealing with the cable when rotating meat seems like a big win - is there a gotcha I’m missing?

Works great for me. Temp readings feel a bit slower compared to wired probes, but it saves a lot of hassle for basic cooks

Make sure to get the Meater+ with extended range (about $20 extra I think)

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

A few other threads on here pertaining to this. I own one. I use it for rotisserie cooks. 

Tried to run a search before starting a new thread but it came up empty.

Perhaps I did it wrong.

Any pointers to those existing threads appreciated...

1 hour ago, Joel_L said:

Works great for me. Temp readings feel a bit slower compared to wired probes, but it saves a lot of hassle for basic cooks

Make sure to get the Meater+ with extended range (about $20 extra I think)

Thanks for the feedback.

I want this primarily for low and slow, so response speed is not a huge concern.

The range extender is a WiFi converter or a higher-powered Bluetooth?  Does it reduce battery life?

It says it will go up to 24 on a single charge - has that been your experience?

I heard many people felt mistreated by the kickstart campaign(s). I’m not aware of what happened but just purchased the device on its own.

the meater+ Uses the charging block to extend the Bluetooth signal. 

Longest cook I’ve done is about 3-4 hours, and I think I had about 70% battery left. Tomorrow I’ll try pulled pork with it and see how long it lasts!

I bought the Meater+ and pretty happy with it.. Main reasons I bought it were new technology (something cooler than my igrill) and to use on rotating meats on the Joetisserie as you mentioned.

Construction is solid, but you have to be careful about temperature limits and ensure the ‘internal’ part of the probe is inserted fully into the meat. I like that i can see/ trend both internal meat and external ‘pit’ temperature on low and slow with the single probe.

The meater+ base is a Bluetooth extender, so the base generally has to stay beside the probe at the bbq (range from probe to base is very small especially when probe is closed  inside my broil king keg) and I connect the base via the stronger Bluetooth extender signal to my iPad in the kitchen. I also link my phone to the iPad via the meaterlink (wifi) so if I leave the house, I can see the cook in the app on my phone anywhere with wifi.

Negatives:  I typically grab the meat off the bbq, walk inside to put it in the cooler for a rest and lose the signal as the base is still outside. Very minor issue! And a couple of times I had trouble getting it to connect, but just put the probe back in the base and try again (same issues early on with the igrill, but it improved with updates.)

I have done a 9 hour pork with no issues, but never thought to look at the remaining battery level. Cheers!!

E119C36F-FCDC-4D74-A541-F666E51D2938.jpeg

I was also part of the Kickstarter program, so I will not say much. I feel it does a decent job, but really lacks range and I use it for my rotisserie cooks, but I have other style probes that I use for my regular cooks.

58 minutes ago, T_om said:

Are the batteries replaceable?

Tom

In the bottom of the Meater + unit is 1 AAA alkaline battery. That runs the Meater + unit and recharges the probe. Just a std replaceable AAA battery. Most likely the other units are setup in a similar fashion. 

47 minutes ago, ckreef said:

In the bottom of the Meater + unit is 1 AAA alkaline battery. That runs the Meater + unit and recharges the probe. Just a std replaceable AAA battery. Most likely the other units are setup in a similar fashion. 

I meant the battery in the probe itself.  ALL rechargeable batteries have a finite number of recharge cycles.  If the battery in that probe cannot be replaced when it no longer holds a charge, that is a big deal.

Tom

1 hour ago, T_om said:

I meant the battery in the probe itself.  ALL rechargeable batteries have a finite number of recharge cycles.  If the battery in that probe cannot be replaced when it no longer holds a charge, that is a big deal.

Tom

Whatever is in there I'm positive it's not user replaceable. With that said I'm not sure it's a battery. It could be a micro super capacitor. Whatever it is it's small, small, small. It has to fit in the probe end. 

On 8/17/2019 at 8:21 PM, T_om said:

Tom

I am curious about this as well so I just sent them the question. I will let you guys know once I receive a reply.

On 8/17/2019 at 7:32 PM, ckreef said:

I have the Meater block and the probes charge from the block in a similar fashion.