fafrd

Meater wireless temperature probe?

I have not received a reply from them on the battery/probe question I asked.

I do not understand why companies have "Contact Us" on their websites and do not reply to submissions. That tells me about how prompt their service will be, I believe.

The company itself, not addressing the actual bit of kit, seems to have a less than stellar reputation.

Which is, alone, enough to make me lean toward one of their competitors.  There are several companies making these wireless probes now.

Tom

I sent a second request using the Contact form on their web site and have now received a reply. They said that they did not receive my initial inquiry.

They also said that the probe does have an internal battery that is rated for 1000+ re-charges. This battery is not replaceable.

Now we know.

Glad you stuck with getting the info.

However, I'm trying to call to mind a battery with a thousand discharge cycles that was not used by NASA in actual spacecraft.  Um, nope.  Couldn't think of any.  Two words, however, DO come to mind with their response... "Advertising Hype".

Tom

8 hours ago, Rick in Ontario said:

Like most average consumers I don't know enough about battery technology to understand that claim as being over rated.

That is probably what they are counting on.

Some random battery types and cycles:

LiPo:  400 to 500 but VERY sensitive to high heat and have the disconcerting characteristic of sometimes exploding.

Lead Acid:  200 to 300 if deep cycled, many more if never drawn down below about 55%

NiCad:  200 before performance suffers so much the battery is useless.

LiCoO2:  400 cycles

LiFePO4:  The most cycles of all.  And can actually make the 1k number.  HOWEVER, they don't like high operating temperatures and they require a LOT of extra circuitry to prevent over or undercharged states (which they DO NOT like) so I don't think Meater uses them.

And on and on through the various technologies.

Keep in mind I don't know what battery type they use.  If that info was available, a quick search would let you know about how long your Meater units will last.

Also, this is the Internet.  I might have no idea what I am talking about and be as full of #### as a Christmas Turkey.  You find that a LOT on the Internet.

Tom

PS:  S__t was actually censored?  “Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.”  Attributed to Mark Twain but unverified.  But the idea is sound.

In fairness, I should also add that when I asked if the battery was replaceable I got the following reply;

" No it is not, however if you run into issues before then, we will troubleshoot with you and replace it if we are unable to get you up and running!"

For what it is worth.