Hey family,

I plan to smoke 7 pork butts on my Big Joe using my extender rack.  All the butts weigh between 7-8 pounds.  

Should I maintain the general rule of approx 1.5 -2 hours cook time at 225? With that, is it fair to say this cool will be approx 16 hours for all 7 butts? I just want to make sure the extra capacity doesn’t affect my cook time.

I’d appreciate advice based on prior experience from you folks. 

Thanks!

16 hours ago, Brickyoung said:

I’d appreciate advice based on prior experience from you folks. 

I, too, am interested in advice from those with first-hand experience.  I've been thinking of smoking several for a block party—maybe not seven, though.

BTW, my experience with poem butts is that they're a bit rhymey.  :mrgreen:

13 hours ago, pmillen said:

BTW, my experience with poem butts is that they're a bit rhymey.  :mrgreen:

You know what thay say, 

"Better Rhymey than Rimmey"! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By JohnnyAppetizer
      Thawed the frozen leftover pork, acquired necessary ingredients.

rehydrated the guajillo peppers, then:
      all Kamado, all the way!

Onion, pepper, garlic, oregano simmering into a  paste.

Drained the hominy, added the water from the pepper rehydration, a bay leaf and let that simmer for a while.
      Added the pork and guajillo paste and let that simmer.

Pozole !

• By Fudpucker
      As the title suggests, I am looking for help getting my Akorn to act the way I want it to for smoking purposes. 

I have the smoking stone, use a water pan, and lower my dampers until it basically snuffs out my fire, but I cannot seem to keep my Akorn at 225. 

Now, I will admit that I am new to smoking and that there is a lot to be learned, but I have read tons of guides and watched videos and replicated them to my best ability, but still cannot get it to work for me. 

Currently, my process is this:

Open dampers all the way Fill bottom of grill full of hardwood lump Light with cotton balls soaked in alcohol Toss in a couple chunks of hickory Place my smoking stone Place my water pan Close lid and let set until 150 Close dampers halfway until 180 Close dampers again halfway until 210 Close dampers halfway one last time to about .5 on top and bottom.  
      1 of 2 things happens here. Either the temp keeps building to nearly 300 or the fire dies. 

I play with the dampers making very small .5 adjustments to try and finagle it, but I cannot seem to get it right. 

When I do seem to get the temps in a semi stable range around 230-260 (after LOTS of adjustments), after about an hour I go to spritz my meat with some apple juice and the temps take off again (Obviously because I just fed it a lot of oxygen) and never seem to come back down. 

I have read about this "volcano" method of lighting the coals, but I literally have not found any videos or pictures on how to set that up. 

Basically, I have no idea what I am doing wrong and I could use someone being critical of my process to give me some advice and direction. 

Thanks for any feedback!

• By kamado mofo
      Hello All!!! Getting my Kamodo dialed in. Thought I had a gasket issue, but Brian at Hi-Que gave me lots of knowledge about fire control on my grill. Any tips on controlling the level of smoke applied to the cook would be appreciate by this rookie!
    • By Magnus Allgurén
      I decided to try ordering from this company called Smokinlicious Gourmet Smoking Wood, from Buffalo. It's convenient for me as I'm in Canada that they offer both an American website and a Canadian website. 
      Anywho, I once ordered Alder wood from Amazon US, as it's fairly hard to find companies selling Alder wood for smoking in Canada. The customer service that I experienced from this company is almost unheard of. Questions(by email) were answered in minutes, over long weekends and late nights. 

This wood was offered in 30lbs or 15lbs packages so I ordered the 15lbs, as I am trying it out. 

15lbs, cost me $31 CAD, shipping included. So no where near as expensive as the wood I ordered thru Amazon (5lbs/$40US).

Now after all this, the wood has a great aroma as does its smoke and it smokes for a long time. Chunks are the size of appr 2"x2x4",so a fairly nice size. 

I will definitely order from this company again. They offer lots of different kinds of wood. 

Thanks for reading!! 

http://www.smokinlicious.ca
      http://www.smokinlicious.com

• By cwhuling
      I ended up with a mostly free Saturday and decided to cook a couple of Boston Butts.  I finished my other chores early and decided to make home made rolls and Cole slaw to go with the pork.  This was the first time I brined a Boston Butt and was pleased with the outcome.