Vision Grill thermometer stuck at 125 degrees

When I cooked on a Vision Pro C my dome thermometer became foggy and wouldn't show temps higher than 200 degs. I wrote Vision Customer Service  an email explaining the problem along with a couple attached  pics of the thermometer. They sent me a new one in about a week. However, I eventually bought a Tel-Tru on Amazon. I cook on a large BGE now and still use Tel-Tru thermometers. BGE contracts with them to make their logo dome thermometer. I have one with  an oversize 3' dial cause, at 70, I don't see as well as I used to. 

6 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

When I cooked on a Vision Pro C my dome thermometer became foggy and wouldn't show temps higher than 200 degs. I wrote Vision Customer Service  an email explaining the problem along with a couple attached  pics of the thermometer. They sent me a new one in about a week. However, I eventually bought a Tel-Tru on Amazon. I cook on a large BGE now and still use Tel-Tru thermometers. BGE contracts with them to make their logo dome thermometer. I have one with  an oversize 3' dial cause, at 70, I don't see as well as I used to. 

How long have you had it when it happened? I sent them an email, but I had mine for about 18 months. wonder if it's covered under their lifetime or 5yr warranty

I had my Vision probably a year when the thermometer started acting up. I would go ahead and call them or send them an email, the worst they can say is it's no longer covered under the warranty. Most kamado MFG's, I believe including Vision, only cover their ceramic components with a life time warranty. Things like hinges, bands, tables, top vents, and such usually have a time limited warranty, but I don't know how long that is.. 

Sounds like the thermometer got off it's calibration point. They can all do that after repeated extreme high or low temperatures (not that 650* is really extreme but extreme enough in this case). If it doesn't have a calibration nut then you're stuck with the situation unless Vision comes through. Keep an eye on it incase it goes even more off calibration.

I would suggest buying a replacement that can be calibrated. Tel-Tru makes a few different models that can be calibrated. 

They said it's out of warranty and sent me this link

There's no point in buying it, but it seems like others may not fit. 

So, is it ok to just put probe on the grate?

I have 3 different thermometers - generic bt one and 2 different radio frequency units - expert grill and char-broiler with much higher radius, char-broiler up to 100 ft

Interestingly, the generic bt one always shows higher temperature than the other two and some recommended temperatures for meats are different (lower). So I guess I can't really trust it on the grate either? 

I also have weber igrill 2 which supports up to 4 probes, but haven't used it yet. don't know how good it is. 

I usually smoke under 300 degrees.