Bobbi

Need Advice on old Kamado K7

I have a Kamado K7 that I purchased from RJ in West Sac around 2003.  I am trying to repair a few things.  There are a handful of tiles that fell off -What type of adhesive should I use to reattach?  The wheels on the stand are buckling - are they replaceable? Can I use something like a BGE nest?  Will standard kamado carts/tables be able to handle the weight of this monster?  Is there a better product out there for the charcoal  box - I have the standard clay one - which I think easily gets clogged.  Should I refrain from high heat? Was thinking about doing pizza in it.

Finally,  is it worth putting in the effort?  Would a new Kamado be a huge upgrade or are they basically the same?

Thanks in advance!

Bobbi

Welcome to the forum. The Richard Johnson Kamado's from that era were made pretty well. I still have three

and use them regularly. As for the tile repair, check out my comment in this thread, especially the attached PDF file...

From info posted on RJ's website years ago, the K7 weighs in at about 550 pounds or so. The wheels can be replaced

but you will have to search for a suitable set to hold the total K weight. My thought is that the existing wheels are

a bit under spec'ed. Putting a K7 in a nest would not be practical, in my opinion. Also check out Rocket Kamado

in the above link. That is the outfit that bought out RJ's operation some years ago. They may have what you need.

Also check out the KickAsh basket link. They have charcoal baskets but you may have to make a few measurements

to find a basket that works in your K7. As for really high temps, I would avoid the nuclear temps that some folks use

in their K's here. For a K7, I would not take the temps much above about 425 deg. F. JMO If you intend to do a lot of

pizza's in the 600 - 800 degree range, I would recommend getting a pizza oven or wood fired oven. They are better

suited to that kind of heat.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:57 PM, K_sqrd said:

Welcome to the forum. The Richard Johnson Kamado's from that era were made pretty well. I still have three

and use them regularly. As for the tile repair, check out my comment in this thread, especially the attached PDF file...

As for really high temps, I would avoid the nuclear temps that some folks use

in their K's here. For a K7, I would not take the temps much above about 425 deg. F. JMO If you intend to do a lot of

pizza's in the 600 - 800 degree range, I would recommend getting a pizza oven or wood fired oven.

I would agree with this.  Their ceramic was of poor quality and broke down quickly.  Their quality control and consistency was horrible.  The complaints on the forum in the early 2000's were constant.  My K7 only lasted around 5 years before it started breaking up from the inside.  I  think high temperatures exacerbate the issue.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:57 PM, K_sqrd said:

Thanks for the great info everyone! No pizza in the kamado. I will go read the above mentioned thread.

I assumed that since the company was sold and changed name and owners that it was no longer around. But thanks to the link provided by 58limited I was able to email them and got a reply from Richard Johnson today. He said I purchased a K5 in Oct 2003, which is good to know when looking for parts in the future. He also said that the wheels will unscrew, so new ones can be installed.

Thanks again for sharing you knowledge and pointing me in the right direction!