Kamado gas conversion kit

fafrd

Has anyone converted a charcoal-fired Kamado to propane?

Here is an example converter kit:

https://komodokamado.com/products/gas-burner-assembly

D16B0B6B-928D-452B-8CF4-09947A0A6D51.jpeg.fccb726b9b1a07521d762e58b309e3ec.jpeg

Anyone have experience with this product? Opinions on this propane converter or any competing products appreciated.

I have a spare propane burner and this looks pretty simple to DIY so I’m also interested in any pics after installation or how the burner in a propane Kamado is positioned relative to the firebowl (firegrate on or firegrate off?) as well as relative to the ceramic bottom of the Kamado (sitting directly on bottom, sitting on spacers/insulators of some kind, hung from firebowl, suspended from intake vent like the pic above?).

Is converting a lump-fired Kamado to propane as simple as it looks?

57 minutes ago, Chasdev said:

Not me, I'm still working on converting my Kamado to an offset stick burner...

The only thing holding me back is fear of ruining my cooker by drilling firebox mounting holes in it..

Yeah, gas is easier because it looks like you can just mount onto the intake vent.

My very-experienced-Pizza-cooking neighbor has been inspired by our success to finally break out of their kitchen with a pellet-fired Ooni 3: https://www.amazon.com/Ooni-Portable-Pellet-Pizza-Stainless/dp/B06VW7YLDL/ref=asc_df_B06VW7YLDL/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198068685752&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17876411495371202866&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032075&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-348391023502&psc=1

For $260, that may be the more sensible way to fire with pellets.

I might be going that way myself if I didn’t already have a spare propane burner (and love building my own stuff so much ;).

I sliced up a larger 2”x2”x14” ceramic spacer into smaller pieces using a tile saw - working ceramic is doable but it cracks so easily, I say your chances of drilling through it successfully without causing a crack are pretty low - how large of a hole are you trying to drill?

Having owned a few offset smokers myself, why don’t you just run the smokestack of any cheap barrel smoker (including a pellet-fired one) into the Kamado’s input vent?  That’s just metal work and gasket - much, much easier than trying to work ceramic...

3 hours ago, Walrus said:

Looks like a good way to blow yourself up.

I would not think so. My understanding from reading the posts of those that have them is anything Kamado or accessories made by KomadoKamado is a high quality, over engineered, and tested piece of gear. Komado Kamado is the top of the kamado food chain, I would doubt highly they would put out something that would not work or be dangerous. 

1 hour ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I would not think so. My understanding from reading the posts of those that have them is anything Kamado or accessories made by KomadoKamado is a high quality, over engineered, and tested piece of gear. Komado Kamado is the top of the kamado food chain, I would doubt highly they would put out something that would not work or be dangerous. 

I was going to suggest Komodo Kamado but if he hasn't gone down that rabbit hole yet, I doubt he ever will. Plus for full on pizza someone would be better off with a wood fired oven. You could probably recommend something with a gas option if I'm remembering correctly. 

12 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I was going to suggest Komodo Kamado but if he hasn't gone down that rabbit hole yet, I doubt he ever will. Plus for full on pizza someone would be better off with a wood fired oven. You could probably recommend something with a gas option if I'm remembering correctly. 

Yeah, it’s always nice to dream but I can think of plenty of $6000 rabbit holes I’d be interested to go down before going down this one...

These Kamados are pretty fantastic at low temps but relatively thin for high temps.  At 900F, a 24” OD Kamado is losing roughly 28kW or 95,000 BTUs per hour to heat loss through the ceramic.

95,000 BTUs per hour translates to 7-8 lbs I’d lump consumed per hour at 900F which comes pretty close to my (very limited) experience cooking pizza in a Kamado.

That Komodo Kamado burner makes reference to ‘Turkey Fryers’ so is almost certainly far less than 100,000 BTU/hour: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/backyard-pro-weekend-series-30-qt-turkey-fryer-kit-with-aluminum-stock-pot-and-accessories/554BP12KIT.html

(55,000 is typical for a turkey fryer)

100,000 BTU/hour burners are available and not much pricier: https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-Portable-Pressure-Regulator-Adjustable/dp/B074GXFLX5

My spare burner is almost certainly 55,000 BTUs per hour or less, so I’ll probably screw around with that and prove the theory before investing in anything more piwerful...

Foud this old post from an old thread on this exact subject: https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/12131-hacking-the-kamado-fuel-source/?tab=comments#comment-134939

So I think I'm going to forget about this idea of converting a Kamado to propane...

5 hours ago, fafrd said:

Foud this old post from an old thread on this exact subject: https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/12131-hacking-the-kamado-fuel-source/?tab=comments#comment-134939

So I think I'm going to forget about this idea of converting a Kamado to propane...

Exactly what I'm talking about. Another guy on smokingmeatforums converted his offset to gas, the flame went out, so he turned off the gas and waited a long time. When he opened it to relight it, there was still a gas pocket and it blew. Burned his arms, face etc.

If it doesn't have a flame sensing thermocouple that shuts off the gas valve when the flame goes out, it isn't safe.

I know gas grills don't have this, but they multiple burners that would all have to go out, and they are leakier overall.

• 2 years later...

Any help on where to get interior replacement parts for an six-year-old Kamado Joe propane grill (GJ385)

i’ve been told that they’ve gone out of business and I cannot find find replacement parts anywhere and the outside of our grill looks brand new I hate to just toss it!

18 hours ago, akgrant1 said:

Any help on where to get interior replacement parts for an six-year-old Kamado Joe propane grill (GJ385)

i’ve been told that they’ve gone out of business and I cannot find find replacement parts anywhere and the outside of our grill looks brand new I hate to just toss it!

Gonna need some pics of this animal. 

Surely you could convert it to charcoal...