• Similar Content

• By Lydia
      When I was first looking into getting a Kamado, the guy at BBQ's Galore shop was listing off all the things that a Kamado could do, and the final thing he mentioned was Tandoor. SOLD! Ever since then, I've been wanting to make this dish, and the July challenge was the perfect opportunity.

Tandoori Chicken

The smell of this marinade was incredible.  I will definitely be making this again on a  regular basis. Absolutely delicious!  I don't know what else I'm going to use that massive bag of chilli powder for!! 

1 kg skinless, boneless chicken thighs
      1/2 cup plain yoghurt
      juice of one lime
      1 tablespoon garam Masala
      1/2 tablespoon ginger powder
      1/2 tablespoon kashmiri chilli powder
      1/2 tablespoon methi (fenugreek leaves)
      1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
      4 cloves garlic, minced
      grated fresh ginger, approx 1/2 Tablespoon once grated
      1/2 Tablespoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon red food colouring (optional) - you will notice in the photo of the ingredients, that I bought a packet of this but decided against using it.  When I looked up what food colour 124 was and found out that it's made from synthetic coal tar ,  I chose to leave it out.  Therein is the beauty of making things from scratch - you have the power to choose what goes in and what doesn't. 

Basically, i mixed together all the marinade ingredients, and cut some deep slashes in the thighs so that the marinade could penetrate the chicken, mixed together and refrigerated for a few hours.

by the time the marinading was done, it was pretty dark outside.

I fired her up and the smell emanating from this chicken is something everyone should experience coming from their Kamado at some point in their lives.

The perfect accompaniment for the chicken is  a cucumber and herb yoghurt sauce.

Raita

1 cup plain yoghurt
      1 lebanese cucumber peeled, de-seeded and finely chopped
      1 clove of garlic minced
      juice of half a lime
      a big bunch of mint and coriander finely chopped
      small grating of fresh ginger for a bit of warmth
      salt to taste

this is a pic of the amount of herbs that went in to this tasty sauce.

This was the first time ever that my husband and I ate a whole kg of chicken in one sitting!  LOL ... he said "i just can.not stop eating this". ha haaa

The next time I make this, I will take it to the next level by making my own garam masala spice blend. I can't wait because I'm sure it will be mind-blowing.

Garam Masala Spice Blend recipe by Vijaya Selvaraju

2 tablespoons cumin seeds
      2 tablespoons coriander seeds
      2 teaspoons black pepper corns
      1 star anise
      1/4 of a whole nutmeg
      10 green cardamon pods
      1 stick cinnamon

don't toast the spices. Just whiz them up in a spice grinder and store in fridge or freezer.

The money shot was supposed to include slices of cucumber but I couldn't control myself and started eating this before setting it up properly. ha haaa!!

• By kamado mofo
      Hello All!!!  Grilling spatchcock chicken with John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler!!!!

• By Lydia
      Hello everyone,  here is my effort to challenge myself by deboning a chicken - using the technique of the master, Mister Jacques Pepin!  I could watch that video over and over again and would never bore of it. I can't say that I did it in the two meenoots that he can do it in LOL ... and I must admit that I had a piece of cling-wrap over the screen of my ipad so that I could keep pausing it at each step and rewinding regularly. ha haaa!!

In addition, I couldn't decide on which sauce I wanted to make, so I made two - gravy using the carcass and bones from said chicken along with other ingredients and also a Romesco sauce made from capsicums I roasted in the Kamado too.

Stuffed chicken Galantine

Free-range whole chicken
      Spanish serrano ham
      Spinach - wilted
      Garlic -  a few cloves
      Mushrooms - sauteed (I added these once I saw how piddly amount of stuffing I had once the big bag of spinach wilted down to a very small quantity)
      Young Asiago cheese
      Salt and pepper
      olive oil to rub on skin prior to roasting

Basically, I used the Jacques Pepin method to de-bone the chicken and only messed up one foot because me being me, I took the whole de-boning thing too far and removed that bone but it was all good.

This is what it looked like sans-carcass.

With the tasty stuffing.

Trussed and ready to cook (not as elegant as Jacques - but not bad for a first timer, if I must say so myself )

Romesco Sauce
      4 red capsicums - fire roasted
      6 sun dried tomato halves
      2/3 cup almonds
      big bunch of parsley from the garden
      4 garlic cloves
      6 Tablespoons olive oil
      2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses (or sherry vinegar if you have it - I didn't so also added an extra teaspoon of red wine vinegar)
      2 teaspoons pimenton/smoked paprika

b

Basically, I roasted and cleaned up the capsicums the day before, then cooked off the garlic and nuts in the olive oil until the garlic just started to very lightly colour (to take out the harshness) and then popped all the ingredients, including the oil into the food processor until still slightly chunky. Refrigerated overnight for the flavours to meld.

Gravy

carcass and bones from my de-boned chicken
      1 kg chicken wings
      4 x strips streaky bacon (I had forgotten to take it out of the fridge prior to taking this photo)
      3 x ribs celery
      2 x carrots
      2 x onions
      2 or 3 rosemary sticks
      a couple of bay leaves
      a couple of star anise
      some bunches of tarragon
      a few whole pepper corns
      1.5 litre chicken stock
      flour and butter to make a roux - I just wing this so can't say the quantities sorry.

I roasted all ingredients listed up to and including rosemary in the oven until well cooked and deep in colour / flavour.
      Transferred to a big pot and then deglazed the oven tray of all the delicious bits stuck to the bottom and then poured that into the pot, along with the bay leaves, tarragon and star anise.
      Simmered on low for a couple of hours and gave everything a good moosh (culinary technical term ) with the wooden spoon every now and then to extract maximum flavour.
      Strained and cooled in the fridge for a while.
      I then scooped off a lot of the chicken fat before adding to the roux to make a very flavoursome and delicious gravy. 

My friend and neighbours took their own money shots on their phones when I was plating. They've never had a deboned chicken before and were very impressed when i was "carving" what appeared to them to be a whole chicken.
    • By DerHusker
      Chicken is my wife’s favorite and I like to cook things she’ll like, most of the time , so I cooked up some Chichen Shawarma. Started out by skinning and de-boning some chicken thighs that I had thawed out. I cut each in half and set them aside in the fridge.

I now got out the ingredients for a yogurt based Sharwarma marinade.

Everybody in the pool

and gave it a good spin with the whisk.

I then put the chicken thighs in and stirred it up to get complete coverage on all surfaces.

I then covered the bowl with plastic wrap and placed them in the fridge to rest overnight. Now I made up a batch of Tzatziki.

Link to recipes:

The next day I broke out my vertical spit.

And loaded it up with the Shawarma and topped it with a nice thick slice of red onion

After I had preheated my kamado up to 325 for 1/2 hour I put the Shawarma in.

I checked on it after about 25 minutes and knew it could go much longer.

After about 1 hour I started getting everything ready. I cut up my veggies

and got the Tzatziki out.

I also set up my craving station.

Once the Shawarma developed some char on it, I removed it and sliced off the outer layer and then placed it back in the kamado.

I warmed up some flat bread and spooned on some Tzatziki and then made up some Shawarma Sammi’s.

Here they are served street food style with a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin and some mandarin orange slices.

SO GOOD!

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      The same day I cooked my Ribeye

I also grilled up some chicken thighs for my wife and sister in-law.
      I had purchased a 1.5 cubic foot bag of almond wood. I pulled out 5 nice looking pieces to make the fire with.

I lit up a small chimney of smallish lump pieces and dumped this into my fire pit to start up the almond logs.

I then placed the almond logs on top and waited for them to start burning.

While I was waiting I seasoned up some chicken thighs

and some asparagus spears.

I placed the potatoes on first. Then the asparagus over the fire for a while to give them a little head start. I then moved them back into the foil tray to finish up and placed on the thighs.

Flipping the thighs every 3 to 4 minutes until they were at 160 it.

No plated shots as I was eating the steak.

Thanks for looking.