Heuer

Three way Roast Chicken

After watching John's video on roasting a chicken with the KJ slo-roller at high temperature it got me thinking. According to Meathead Goldman over at Amazing Ribs a roast BBQ chicken using the 400F indirect method is good, a rotisserie chicken is better and a spatchcock better still.

So I spatchcocked a 4lb corn fed chicken, used a dry rub, put it on the Jotisserie skewer, installed the deflector plates and ran the cook with Kamado big block at 400F and the Fireboss 300 in the pilot seat. It was done in exactly one hour.

20190811_195609.thumb.jpg.c29f73b932f72c4eab293868eb80ab97.jpg

20190811_195550.thumb.jpg.342f5ecbc381cb3f789fd4e55d3f7cf6.jpg

The result was superb and probably the best chicken we have cooked. A hint of smoke but not overpowering (my wife does not like smokey meat) coming from the juices/rub as they hit the deflector plate. All the meat was cooked evenly and full of juice.

There is 6" clearance between the skewer and the deflector so the total width of the spatchcock needs to be less than 12", certainly more than enough for a 4lb bird. Nevertheless I did take car to ensure the legs and wings were held by the forks.

Certainly on the Big Joe which has two sets of forks. On the Classic you need the forks to secure the bird at both ends as it no longer has a spine or cavity so not sure it would work. One option would be to use cocktail sticks to link the birds at the breasts with the forks at the leg ends doing the heavy lifting/rotation. Certainly there is room for two birds pushed together on the skewer.

On 8/12/2019 at 8:43 AM, Heuer said:

Certainly on the Big Joe which has two sets of forks. On the Classic you need the forks to secure the bird at both ends as it no longer has a spine or cavity so not sure it would work. One option would be to use cocktail sticks to link the birds at the breasts with the forks at the leg ends doing the heavy lifting/rotation. Certainly there is room for two birds pushed together on the skewer.

I have an extra set of forks I bought for my classic, this should work, but it would be very tight