Kamado Joe 2 vs Kamado Joe 3

John Setzler

I tried to search for it, however couldn’t find it. 
can someone tell me the depth of the Kamado Big Joe with the Lid fully open. 

from the control top to the most forward part of the grill?

I need to figure out how far out I have to build my table for it to open without hitting the wall behind it   

thank you so much!

Bit the bullet and bought one finally- Classic III based on my personal research and desire for that “bang for your buck”. Thank you John for your YouTube presence, my first cook was effortless. 
This is my first Kamado, but I knew going in I wanted a basket. I knew I wanted my wife to be able to make pizza without opening it (she will so forget to burp it) and I knew I was buying it to smoke on. Then I saw the sloroller....

Being a science teacher...Injust couldn’t resist. I had to see that in action! 
got up to temp, opened it and added a little cherry, brought it back up and it was smoking like a train. Opened it again and know what? You can see the smoke rolling just like they said it would!  
Never used anything else, but this thing is cool and produced a perfect whole chicken and some amazing salmon filets for me first time out. Works great! 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Two days ago I just purchased the Big Joe 2 and was feeling confident, now a little insecure and I don't like it.  So for an extra 6oo + the Big Joe 3 is that much better of a kamado due to the included SloRoller?  For those who are using the 3 is it seriously that big of a difference?  The cart, ash basket and 3 tier (I eat big, but not much) is a non issue for me, its all about great food.  Have not received delivery yet, so I am curious about opinions.  Thanks in advance and stay safe.  

1 hour ago, Henry B 3 said:

Two days ago I just purchased the Big Joe 2 and was feeling confident, now a little insecure and I don't like it.  So for an extra 6oo + the Big Joe 3 is that much better of a kamado due to the included SloRoller?  For those who are using the 3 is it seriously that big of a difference?  The cart, ash basket and 3 tier (I eat big, but not much) is a non issue for me, its all about great food.  Have not received delivery yet, so I am curious about opinions.  Thanks in advance and stay safe.  

If the difference all boils down to the sloroller, then I'd say no.  It's not worth the difference in that case.  I'd still add the charcoal basket to the 2 if you get the 2.  If you come to the conclusion that you don't really need the Big Joe and can work with the Classic, get the classic 3 instead of the Big Joe 2.  You would be amazed at how much meat you can cook on the Classic.

I agree with John. I have the 3, the sloroller is ok but I am not seeing a huge difference in using it.

Doesnt the 3 have an improved hinge that the 2 doesnt have? If thats the case then that is worth it. I love the hinge on my 3