Grate Temperature vs Dome Temperature

I used to use a water pan in my gassers before walked to the light and got a Kamado joe the water pan was just used as a heat sink to add mass to the smoker to help it maintain a set temp. the door therm always read about 30 degrees cooler than the racks. Cheap thermometer, but it was good enough to use as a rough grate temp if it read 220m i knew the upper grate was 250. Shocker that is a fantastic looking butt you should narrow your location down in case i want to knock on the door with a burger bun in hand waiting for some meat. I think the reason the dome and grate are close is because the drip pan might be blocking the probe from the direct heat coming off the deflector plate and giving a closer temp of the air in the dome. It took me awhile to find a good location from my grate probe, but it looks like your figuring out your kamado

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2019 at 5:07 PM, ckreef said:

Like @keeperovdeflame

I removed my standard dome thermometer and put the digital probe in the dome thermometer hole. I use either a slice of a wine cork or some foil to keep it in place depending on the grill. Nice accurate digital reading in the dome that I can take in the house with me. I even have this setup for my Wood Fired Oven. Single best upgrade I did to my grills.

Very interesting.

My Akorn dome thermometer didn't last very long. It now reads a hundred something degrees high. I have been cooking by grate temp alone. 

This looks like the most consistent way to monitor accurately and quit chasing grate temps as I have been wont to do as recently as last evening! 

Thank You, Mr. Reef! 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The first time I cooked I used a Thermoworks electronic temp probe and placed it beside the meat with a 25 degree alarm set.  Note, the "first time" which was only 3 weeks ago.  That alarm went off 100's of times between 8 am and 5 pm.  I wore myself out.  I made so many adjustments that in the end, I have no idea what I had done. One time the dome was higher, one time the dome was lower, very seldom were they the same.  It was chaotic!  I was making more adjustments than a great twirker twirks. 

This week I am gonna attach the probe to the dome thermometer.  And I will see how it goes.  Obviously, I am not a person to offer any advice but my guts tell me John's advice will help me the most.  John, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading this thread- great info from all the posters!

Ironically, I just ordered and received my ThermoWorks Signals so as to have temp probes for both the grill surface and the meat but after reading all the above posts, I am not sure I want to use the pit probe at the grill surface so much as to have it at the dome.  Based on the one graph, the dome temp was much more stable and was approx 10 ^C  lower than the grill surface.  

It seems to me one has to decide (based on theory and most importantly, experience) whether it is more useful to the user to monitor the grill temp which can vary due to multiple reasons (heat sink, air flow, location of probe etc) vs consistency of measurements. 

I would wager a beginner may find it useful to monitor the grill temp but as time goes on, I suspect that it would shift to a measurement that is more consistent/stable.  Just my 0.02.

I am just a beginner but I have already quit using the grill temp monitor.  It rarely lines up with the dome temp and it fluctuates all over the place.  I'm back to just using the dome and a meat probe after 3 cooks.

Location matters. Dome probe reads slow-but-steady and is a great arbiter. However, I can't read the dome from my easy chair. That's why location matters.

I put one remote probe in the exit vent, and one on the grate. The dome thermometer will run a little cooler than the exit vent, but it moves slowly. I've learned to control temperature by the exit vent, because it's not affected by food on the grate, and it reacts more quickly to changing fire conditions. Any slow drift shows up here first. 

Stay well,

Frank

H

• 3 weeks later...

@John SetzlerI know i've seen it before but can you show how you're clipping your ambient probe to your dome thermometer? I can't seem to find the picture. I use a fireboard temp controller on longer cooks and I want to get the dome temp reading but I can't figure it out how you're doing it.

1 hour ago, mtoddsolomon said:

@John SetzlerI know i've seen it before but can you show how you're clipping your ambient probe to your dome thermometer? I can't seem to find the picture. I use a fireboard temp controller on longer cooks and I want to get the dome temp reading but I can't figure it out how you're doing it.

20190905_084605-s.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 8/26/2019 at 3:36 PM, John Setzler said:

True.. in the modern world we can't be bothered with walking out to the grill occasionally to see what's going on :)

Howdy John,

Quick question.  I have a Fireboard thermometer, I would like to set the alarm for overnight cooks.   Attaching the ambient probe to the grate is fine during the day when I can check the dome temp also but at night it would be nice to be getting the dome temp on the Fireboard.    How are you attaching the the ambient probe to the Kamado Joe thermometer?  

Thank you,

Brock

Lots of great commentary. As a neophyte to KJ, I will try several of the suggestions, but agree that consistency is king as well as whatever works for each one of us for whatever reason.  Thanks all!

57 minutes ago, HorsebackCO said:

Howdy John,

Quick question.  I have a Fireboard thermometer, I would like to set the alarm for overnight cooks.   Attaching the ambient probe to the grate is fine during the day when I can check the dome temp also but at night it would be nice to be getting the dome temp on the Fireboard.    How are you attaching the the ambient probe to the Kamado Joe thermometer?  

Thank you,

Brock

20190905_084605-s.jpg

I am also getting ready to test slipping an alligator clip onto teh end of the ambient probe to clip it on there...

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 4:03 PM, John Setzler said:

20190905_084605-s.jpg

I am also getting ready to test slipping an alligator clip onto teh end of the ambient probe to clip it on there...

@John Setzler Did you just drill some more holes in your grate clip or is there a specific clip I can purchase with extra holes. Thanks in advance and for producing all the content!