Grate Temperature vs Dome Temperature

11 hours ago, Phipps said:

@John Setzler Did you just drill some more holes in your grate clip or is there a specific clip I can purchase with extra holes. Thanks in advance and for producing all the content!

It's a 3 hole clip that came with the iKamand.  I have tried to buy several others like it and haven't found a great fit on the third party front.

20200917_085937.jpg

I bought a packet of clips at Harbor freight that has alligator clips that slide nicely on the probe from my Fireboard.. .this is what I'm using now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This topic may be dead at this point, but I wanted to pop in here and say these are the clips I got from Amazon, and they worked for me. I had to un-bend them just a bit to make them grip the dome probe tight enough to not fall off, but otherwise they were just right.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YGNDVMG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have read this post a few times since it was created and now that I’ve had an electronic temp probe for about a month I’ll reiterate a couple things. 

1. Consistency is key...pick a method and stick with it.  

2. Electronic gadgets are nice and do have their place but back to point (1), if something worked before, don’t change your method because of a gadget, you’ll be chasing your tail.  

I have fought more with my kamados over this past month then I ever have, even when I first got them. It reminded me of how much I fought with my Weber kettle, cooking a turkey on a rainy, windy Christmas which is what convinced me to switch to ceramic kamados.  I will be going back to basics. I love my digital probe but it will now be clipped to the dome thermometer and used as an away from the grill monitor only.  Thanks for the advice folks.  

• 3 months later...
On 10/23/2020 at 6:59 PM, Brick Pig said:

This topic may be dead at this point, but I wanted to pop in here and say these are the clips I got from Amazon, and they worked for me. I had to un-bend them just a bit to make them grip the dome probe tight enough to not fall off, but otherwise they were just right.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YGNDVMG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the tip.  These work perfect for me on the KJ3 and Fireboard probes.

I’ve been interpreting all recommended or suggested temperatures as the dome temperature.  For me it’s never about the grate or firebox temperature.

When I bought my FireBoard 2, I piggy backed the pit temperature probe off the dome temperature probe.

I basically riveted 2 probe holders together.  I did this way do I can maximize my space above the grate when I have my SmokeWare grate stacker installed.

if anyone is interested, I can take a closeup photo and post.

thx and stay safe! 

39EEFDB3-D97C-4CA4-8ECE-49A74CACCFF9.thumb.jpeg.dbc7cb8f2d8f461f708a4f10b1225689.jpeg

3A3D4719-6F2A-4A3A-91A7-B1729C59EFC9.jpeg

On 9/2/2019 at 12:38 AM, fbov said:

Analog temperature control.

Yes, it's sucking up heat, but that's a good thing in a low-n-slow cook. Moisture helps smoke flavor transfer, it helps air transfer heat, and it keeps air temps down. I get a better smoke ring, and longer, slower cooks that result in excellent results. I've long found it easier to control the fire, and only just figured out why. 

Water has a bunch of unique properties. For these purposes, we're interested in these two. 

- latent heat of vaporization

- volume ratio, liquid to steam: 1700:1 at STP.

I did some quick calculations, and found that it takes about the same amount of energy to heat up a 100 kg Kamado by 100 C as it does to evaporate 2 kg of water. Using a water pan takes out a lot of heat, so the fire needs more air. It runs hotter, and in doing so, it creates it own back pressure. 

Temperature control is a result of positive feedback from the water pan. 

- fire gets hotter, pan evaporates more water, making 1.7L of steam per 1 mL of water. 

- steam adds to positive pressure under dome, reducing intake air flow

- fire gets cooler due to reduced air flow, so less water is evaporated

- reduced steam production allows greater airflow which lets the fire grow

- fire gets hotter, pan evaporates ...

And, yes, SOPs are standard operating procedures, a way to do things the same every time. Recipes are another way. After a while, SOPs evolve. That's where this idea came from. The Rule of Halves* only takes you so far. I could control temp with just the bottom vent, but I lost my smoke ring - too little air. Went back to using both vents, and noticed I'd lose temp control after several hours... when the water pan dried up. Put water in the pan and control came back. Now I need to do it a few times, to standardize the procedure and confirm the positive feedback mechanism. 

Have fun,

Frank

* RoH: Only change vents by 50% of the opening. Close vents half way, re-open vents by 50%

Impressive, thank you for this.  

On 4/26/2021 at 3:36 AM, byee said:

I’ve been interpreting all recommended or suggested temperatures as the dome temperature.  For me it’s never about the grate or firebox temperature.

When I bought my FireBoard 2, I piggy backed the pit temperature probe off the dome temperature probe.

I basically riveted 2 probe holders together.  I did this way do I can maximize my space above the grate when I have my SmokeWare grate stacker installed.

if anyone is interested, I can take a closeup photo and post.

thx and stay safe! 

39EEFDB3-D97C-4CA4-8ECE-49A74CACCFF9.thumb.jpeg.dbc7cb8f2d8f461f708a4f10b1225689.jpeg

3A3D4719-6F2A-4A3A-91A7-B1729C59EFC9.jpeg

This is a great idea, thanks! The only problem I've had with the clips I bought is that the wired probe sometimes hangs too low in the dome, as you say. Excellent solution.

• 1 month later...

I’m still new to kamado cooking and have used the KJ dome temp gauge for all cooks so far. I put the Smoke probe on the grate today just to see how it compared and it ran 10°-15° hotter than the dome gauge, which isn’t a significant variance and gives me a little more confidence with the dome temp. I didn’t put it on until late in the cook, which would explain why it wasn’t cooled down by the meat. Interestingly, while the grate temp has dropped from 315° to 310°, the dome temp has held perfectly steady at 300°. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c476eab14f4e84c70744429af5d2cd25.jpeg