keeperovdeflame

Best Pizza stone I have found:

I purchased this stone almost two years ago, at that time it was marketed under the name Kit Chef. It is 15" in dia,  3/4" thick cordierite with a slight bevel at the edges on both sides of the stone that keeps it from chipping. I have used the heck out of this stone and it has held up perfectly. The cordierite ceramic gives a very nice finish to my pizza crusts, and in addition my experience with the stone is that it is plenty tough enough for general deflector duty.  They now market the same stone on Amazon under the name of Culinary Couture for 39.90. If I remember right I paid more than that (50 something) when I purchased mine when it was called Kit Chef. Worth checking out if you are in the market for a good stone. That's a nice price for a high quality cordierite stone. 

IMG_0558.thumb.jpeg.27c4cd8aa6cbd994b6b98b1e784efd8a.jpeg

What is the heat rating on the stone? Silly question but some manufactures place a do not cook above temp on their cookware. Not for reliability but because the ceramic will crack like humpty dumpy.

In the pro mo on Amazon the company says you can bake with it in temps up to 1,000 degs. They give a lot of specs and information about the product. Look it up on Amazon under" culinary couture pizza stone". Personally I cook pizza between 650 and 700 degs. The stone in the pics has cooked hundreds of pies and been used as a deflector in probably as many moderate 300 to 400 deg range cooks. I have found it to be a very durable workhorse. If I need another stone I would buy one of these in a heartbeat. 

2 hours ago, Drusen said:

If that’s the case, it’s a good deal. Just didn’t want to buy something like this:

8EB60E8E-3F04-4EC8-9653-F4F6B1BC756F.jpeg

All stones can break if they are shocked with rapid temp changes. But the stone I have and recommended is a full 3/4" thick. The poor stone on your kamado looks to be a lot thinner than that. Now does that mean  that a thick  stone will never crack, probably no as anything can happen. However, a thick quality stone should and often does last a lot longer. Like I said after 2 years of hard use mine is still together. 

On August 13, 2019 at 6:39 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

All stones can break if they are shocked with rapid temp changes. But the stone I have and recommended is a full 3/4" thick. The poor stone on your kamado looks to be a lot thinner than that. Now does that mean  that a thick  stone will never crack, probably no as anything can happen. However, a thick quality stone should and often does last a lot longer. Like I said after 2 years of hard use mine is still together. 

These stones are virtually impossible to break with any natural temperature shock:  http://www.californiapizzastones.com/pizza/files/pizza-stones-That-Do-Not-Thermal-Shock.php

These stones exhibited no cracks after:

-being placed in a 600F kiln after being soaked in water at room temp

-being placed on a bowl of room temp water after being heated to 700F

-being placed in a 1200F kiln after being soaked in water

-cranking the heat in the kiln to 2000F

These stones are only 5/8" thick but are virtually indistructible due to the hgh percentage of grog.  To quote the manufacturer:

"Our Pizza and Baking Stones are made from a Non-Toxic Mullite mixture, containing a very high quantity of grog. Grog is clay that has been fired to 2500 - 2600 degrees then crushed and put back into our clay mixture. This makes our Baking Stones virtually indestructible and impervious to thermal shock."