keeperovdeflame

Ist warranty issue in 5 years since purchase:

While cleaning my large Egg after a pizza cook last evening, I discovered a crack running through three of the air holes in my fire box. The crack looked to be continuing towards the 4th air hole but stopped short. The crack did not change the shape or the ability of the fire box to hold charcoal and cook. However, even though I can still cook on it, the crack runs through the complete thickness of the fire box wall and could come apart when I have to move it to clean it. I don't want to have the experience of having it continue to crack to the point I can't use it and then have to wait for a replacement. So I called Bruce at BGE customer service at 1(800) 793 2292 and sent him an email with copies of my original purchase receipts and a pic of the crack. Even with our agreement that my Egg can still cook, Bruce said BGE would replace the fire box. He had me call  my dealer and forward him the same Email.  I explained to Bruce, that I have heard of situations where a customer would have to wait months for their dealers next order to get the needed replacement part. Bruce was quite cool and said, if that happens call me back and we will make better arrangement. Did all of that in about 5 minutes and when I spoke with the guy who handles BGE at True Value, he  said my new fire box would be in the store in aprox 2 weeks. . Over the years as moderator here, I have seen a number of folks with cracks like this, in a number of different mfg's kamados,  be told to wait until the fire box is unusable to file a warranty claim.   So far I am very satisfied with my 1st BGE warranty experience. The whole process was quite painless. I strongly suggest you make sure your gill is registered with the BGE Mother Ship or which ever company made your kamado,  and that you keep all your purchase info readily at hand in a well marked file.

Just in case:)

IMG_0564.thumb.jpeg.1447f6a4ee31142b4e1191510bf8034f.jpeg

1 hour ago, Scott Roberts said:

@keeperovdeflame glad to hear the process was painless! The first I did when I unpacked the box was register it on Kamado Joe website, sound advise!

Scott

yeah, it seems from reading the posts of folks who have a hard time making a claim, that having the bonafides is the issue. The guy who sold me my Egg took out an envelope and put all my copies in it, and then said before you do anything else when you get home put this in a file and call BGE and register your grill. That's what I did and it seems to have paid off. Good lesson.

Had similar experience when the firebox cracked on the LBGE I had. I did have to wait until the next shipment though, but it wasn't that long of a wait. I used the old firebox until I got rid of it.  If you look at the multiple pieces of the KJ firebox, the fine cracks will be fine. I recommend using the old firebox until it falls apart.