Konro - what and where to buy?

Alphonse

Okay, I have seen some recent posts and references to Konro grills.  The idea of table top cooking with guests sounds like big fun to me. 

I have dug deep enough to spark my interest and now looking for advice on what to buy. 

Additional photos and advice would be much appreciated.

The question is really what size. I would recommend the LG 30" long. That would easily do 4 people and probably comfortably up to 8. I got that size even though most of the time it's just me and Mrs skreef. Having the extra space just makes it easier. 

If you were planning on 8 or more people on a regular basis you could opt for the XL. 

A fair number of people went for the MD. It would accommodate 4 people but would be cramped with 6 people. IMO stay away from the wide version. It's just not needed and getting skewers full of food that wide (so they don't burn) would get more difficult. 

Most people ditch the "net". It's a pain to use and a pain to clean. There are small SS Grate you can get at Lowes for those occasions when needed. 

@gotzero has been doing a lot of Konro cooks lately (on a LG). I have a fair number of Konro posts. There are other people on Guru and the KK forum that post on a semi regular basis. Search around plenty of pictures. I even have an unboxing thread. 

This link is where most of us bought ours. Get one when in stock. When I first started looking to buy one it was out of stock. I waited 3 years for them to come back in stock and had somewhat given up on the idea when all of a sudden they were back. 

https://www.korin.com/grillware/konros-basket-grills-nets-and-bases

As for charcoal Fogo Marabu makes an acceptable substitute for binchotan. Get a XL chimney starter. I have some posts about this too. Hope that gets you started. They are great fun to cook on and produce some awesome food with a minimal learning curve. 

I used Korin on @ckreef's recommendation. I ordered when it was out of stock and waiting. Everything was perfect just not fast. I got the "large" size, and I have no regrets. I have the time of my life with that little grill and our next outdoor table will be handbuilt around accommodating it. 

I agree about not getting a "wide" one, which also unfortunately applies to the "extra large".

I recommend you consider the cookbooks "Robata" for general recipe ideas for everything from vegetables to seafood to meats, and "Chick and Charcoal" for lots of detail on breaking down and serving chicken. I would enthusiastically NOT recommend "Chicken Genius". 

2 hours ago, gotzero said:

I agree about not getting a "wide" one, which also unfortunately applies to the "extra large".

Good catch on the XL being the wide format. I didn't notice that. 

2 hours ago, gotzero said:

I got the "large" size, and I have I have the time of my life with that little grill and our next outdoor table will be handbuilt around accommodating it. 

I'm really glad I inserted mine into my "picnic" table. It sits 1" above the table and then I always you my square steel rods on top of that which adds another 3/4". Just perfect. There is 10" of table width along the long sides which is adequate for a dinner plate but I think 12" would be better. 

I still need to trim out the hole and come up with a proper cover (instead of the cardboard cover I currently use). 

Thanks @ckreef, I now have a "large" on order.   Hopefully it will come someday!  They are not in stock but their website says they expect them in September.  

I believe you use Fogo Marabu lump in yours. 

I assume you use a chimney to light it and then pour it in?    @gotzero, what charcoal are you using and how do you light it?

Get yourself the XL Weber chimney. The regular size just ain't quite big enough. I popped the bottom mound grate out, turned it over and put it back in place. This turned the mound into a funnel. If you see the inside of a XL Weber chimney you'll know what I'm talking about. 

I put one fire starter in the very bottom, followed by a thin layer of regular lump (RO etc...) then fill it up to overflowing with Marabu. Put it out in the yard or corner of the patio and fire it up from the bottom. It'll take about 45 minutes or so before all the lump is glowing orange. (it will spark along the way so keep kids/pets away). Once fully orange carefully transfer the glowing chimney of Marabu into the Konro. I usually spread it thick for half the length and thin for the other half. That way I have two different temperature zones. Long metal tongs and gloves can help in spreading it out. Marabu is hard enough it won't crumble when using tongs. 

Anyway that's my basic procedure. 

8 hours ago, Alphonse said:

Thanks @ckreef, I now have a "large" on order.   Hopefully it will come someday!  They are not in stock but their website says they expect them in September.  

BTW congratulations - you're going to have a blast with it. You probably won't get any order updates from Korin they aren't too swift about things like that. Don't worry they have your order and eventually it will come in stock and they'll ship. One day you'll get a tracking email and a day or three later it'll be waiting by the front door. 

Thanks CK.

In addition to my confirmation, I did get an email from them today saying it was not in stock but the ETA is mid-September!   Now I need to lay in a stock of Fogo Marabu. 

I found some 1 1/4" thick firebrick today for another project and will get enough to lay a mat down on table for it to sit on.    

49 minutes ago, Alphonse said:

Thanks CK.

In addition to my confirmation, I did get an email from them today saying it was not in stock but the ETA is mid-September!   Now I need to lay in a stock of Fogo Marabu. 

I found some 1 1/4" thick firebrick today for another project and will get enough to lay a mat down on table for it to sit on.    

Mine shipped a couple of weeks before it was supposed to be in stock. I have my fingers crossed for you. 

It has rubber feet and sits about 1" off the table. If it's a  picnic table or table with a rustic finish you won't need anything. If you have a nice table with a nice finish on the table then fire bricks or a slab of wood is appropriate. 

Buy a few bags of Marabu when you can. When it sells out it takes a month or two before Fogo gets it back in stock. I'm currently sitting on about 4 bags. 

Thanks for the tips on protection of tables. 

I have two bags of Fogo "M" on the way and really look forward to giving it a try. 

I even gave my wife a heads-up that an unusual grill is on the way.  I am betting she loves it.