Williamdd

Kamado K7, is it worth it?

I am looking to purchase a used kamado K7, but have been reading lots of bad things about them. Is it worth it to buy it for $500? I am trying to figure out when it was manufactured to see if it is a RJ.

IMG_2609.jpg

Screenshot_20190815-065759.png

That is an RJ K7.  If it is not crumbling inside then yes, it is an amazing cooker.  Very efficient, gets scary hot and holds a ton of charcoal.  I wish mine had not self destructed.

Yes I didn't think my original post went through so I reposted it. They both seem to have gone through tho. I also found a BGE that I am going to look at. Thank you for the advice! I am a newbie when it comes to the kamado style grills so any and all input is greatly appreciated!

I would stay away. Seems like a good deal but sooner than later it will self destruct. They all did or they all will. Not many left in decent shape. 

Just had to take a sledgehammer to mine after 18 years of good service.  What killed it was the firebox finally crumbled beyond repair.  The early RJs were okay but he definitely produced some substandard product after he moved to Mexico.  

Yes, that is a k7 with the optional gas burner attachment, and the extended grill surface.  It looks in surprisingly good condition, even though it is a later Sacramento model (identified by the stainless bands with the attachments for the side tables and the black ceramic Kamado logo on the dome.  The inside of the grill will tell the tale.  If it does not have any brutal cracks, and if the tiles are mostly intact you may have one of the ones which was well produced.  It may in turn give you many years of service.  Take a look at the Kamado K7 repair thread (26 pages long) to see some of the common problems these grills have.  If this example is not suffering from any of the major defects, then buy it.... but 500 bucks may be a bit high.  I picked mine up for about $350.