T_om

KJ Size Help Needed

The KJ Costco Road Show is coming up and I need to get down to the real rat killin' (Old Southern Term) and decide upon a Kamado pretty quickly.  Some help from you KJ pros would be appreciated.

1.  The most people I ever cook for anymore is 10.  Will the Classic II be large enough or will it take the Big Joe?  I understand enough large butts and briskets can be cooked on both for a crowd, but steaks, burgers, and other quick crowd pleasers, even ribs, take some real estate to cook up without having to do it in shifts.

2.  Will either (or both) a Big Joe and a Classic II on their stock carts fit through a 32" door?  I would be keeping my Kamado on our enclosed pool patio out of the weather, but rolling them out to cook on.

3.  The only other research I have done is on other intermediate size grills, like the Grilla Kong.  Just looking at grill sizes alone, the KJ Classic II is 18", the Kong 20" and the Big Joe 24".  I'm really having a time pondering on size, so opinions welcome.

Thanks for any light shed on this folks.

Tom

PS:  I was really relieved to find this forum about Kamados because the folks here put the emphasis on cooking, camaraderie and a good time... not "My Kamado Brand Is Better Than Your Kamado Brand!" Jihads.

36 minutes ago, LargeRedJoe said:

It should be fine. Worst case you can easily remove the side tables and even their brackets. 

Um, that would be a PITA for every cook.

I'll keep looking.  I figured there were more Big Joe'ers here that would know the size.

Tom

My KJ Classic is 25" wide at it's furthest point which is the rear side table brackets, so I would put the BJ at around 31" so it would be close but you should be good. A 24" kamado is a BIG cooker so I would ask, how many will you be cooking for 80-90% of the time? You can cook 8-10 burgers on one grid level of a KJ Classic

12 minutes ago, T_om said:

I'll keep looking.  I figured there were more Big Joe'ers here that would know the size.

Tom

FWIW my BGE XL is 28" across w/o side table brackets

2 minutes ago, Kamado Tom said:

My KJ Classic is 25" wide at it's furthest point which is the rear side table brackets, so I would put the BJ at around 31" so it would be close but you should be good. A 24" kamado is a BIG cooker so I would ask, how many will you be cooking for 80-90% of the time? You can cook 8-10 burgers on one grid level of a KJ Classic

As I posted originally, 10 people max for steaks.

Almost any sized smoker can handle large cuts like brisket and pork butts, I was just concerned about the "quick for a crowd" size.

Tom

14 minutes ago, T_om said:

As I posted originally, 10 people max for steaks.

Almost any sized smoker can handle large cuts like brisket and pork butts, I was just concerned about the "quick for a crowd" size.

Tom

I wasn't asking max, I was asking most of the time. Cooking for 2-4 everyday and 10 or even 20 a few times a year would translate to $400-500 extra plus the additional cost of accessories (BJ accessories are more than Classic) for something you might utilize that little is something to consider. I cook for 2-3 most of the time but I do a lot of big meat cooks so the size is utilized about once a week so I feel it's worth it. As I posted 8-10 burgers/ steaks depending on shape and size on the classic. If you do get the BJII I would recommend the KAB/KJ ash basket with divider or CGS firebox dividers to split the firebox so you don't use as much charcoal on the small cooks. Good luck!!

10 hours ago, T_om said:

Tom

Ah, sorry, missed the bit about rolling it back and forth. A Classic II will fit through the doorway without removing anything. 

15 hours ago, T_om said:

But will it go through the 32" door?

Tom

You can’t leave it outside with a cover? Strap it down on the off chance of a hurricane getting too close. 

At any rate, I don’t cook for many people, but the classic looks way too small to me. You should look for yourself at the roadshow (I did the same recently).

I have a Big Joe and I keep it outside with a cover. I'm not sure if it will fit through a 32 in door but if it will it would just barely clear. I would recommend getting the Big Joe and keeping it outside with a cover. Rolling a ceramic grill, of any size, around all the time is a recipe for disaster and I can't imagine rolling it across a door threshold all the time. The grills are very tippy and hard to easily move.

Thanks guys.  The Road Show is coming up although I can buy one from The Ceramic Grill Store cheaper (Military discount) and have it delivered to the house.  I will be taking a really hard look at the sizes at the Road Show.

Instead of "new" Classics (i.e. Classic III, etc.) Kamado Joe should fill the size gap in their range.  They need a 20 inch model.

Earl, the door threshold doesn't have a "bump", it is a wood deck and the door just goes from the covered area out onto the uncovered area.  I roll our current grills out to cook on them to keep from smoking up the ceiling.  Then back in to keep them out of the weather.  But it is a wood deck.  Sounds like that wood deck might be a problem by itself???

Still gathering info.

Tom

discount @ CGS doesn't include "sale" items so just keep that in mind before the road show and will cost $99 shipping but would avoid the tax. I would know, I use that discount just about weekly.