T_om

KJ Size Help Needed

On 8/19/2019 at 6:34 PM, T_om said:

Thanks guys.  The Road Show is coming up although I can buy one from The Ceramic Grill Store cheaper (Military discount) and have it delivered to the house.  I will be taking a really hard look at the sizes at the Road Show.

Instead of "new" Classics (i.e. Classic III, etc.) Kamado Joe should fill the size gap in their range.  They need a 20 inch model.

Earl, the door threshold doesn't have a "bump", it is a wood deck and the door just goes from the covered area out onto the uncovered area.  I roll our current grills out to cook on them to keep from smoking up the ceiling.  Then back in to keep them out of the weather.  But it is a wood deck.  Sounds like that wood deck might be a problem by itself???

Still gathering info.

Tom

I have mine on a wood deck and just use a fire resistant mat under it. I have not had any problems doing this with my grills for many years now.

Size if your comfortable with the price get the big joe  On my classic II i had 8 people last christmas and it was busy cooking all the steaks after they left the classic II is ok for the 2 of us. I don't think it would be wise to roll it over a door threshold these are heavy grills and looks like they are top heavy, also i don't think it would be a good idea to lift by table or handle this might put some weird stress on the ceramics. Mine's been covered on my wood deck for a year and still looks new. But it does look sad with  a foot or so of snow on it  

Take a look at the difference between the Classic II & Classic III.  You will see that the Classic III is taller than the II.  I asked my instructor at the London BBQ School kamado cooking class that I attended last weekend what was the main difference between the two.  He pointed out that the deeper pit on the III allows more space for accessories, particularly the grill expander and this allows the Classic III to cook far more food indirectly that the II.  He also mentioned that KJ are not really pushing this fact as they don't want to cannibalise the sales of the Big Joe.  You should check out the II and III side by side to appreciate this point.