Hi, all. I'm new here. I got an Akorn Jr for a great deal, and am having trouble. While putting it together I noticed the damage seen in the picture. I sent a warranty claim to Char-Griller, but was denied because they said I did not get the Kooker from an authorized dealer. The place I got it from only had one, and the deal was good enough that I won't/can't return it. The Kooker was completely brand new in box and has had no other owners.  I'm mostly looking for thoughts on how to proceed. Should I try and find something to paint over this spot? Just start cooking on it and let it cure? There is no external damage to speak of, only on the inner part.  Thanks in advance!

IMG_20190817_195044.jpg

IMG_20190818_225755.jpg

IMG_20190818_225832.jpg

Welcome to Kamado Guru @Zelphy

If the deal was so good that you don't want to return it then you are obligated to deal with the small spots of missing porcelain. 

If it was me I would make sure there is no loose pieces around the damage or if there was I would clean it up and rub some veggie oil on it occasionally as I cooked on it until it was cured over.  Any kind of paint you put in there will likely just burn off.

I would guess it would be fine in the long run.  Good luck! 

Like philpom said make sure there's no chips to get in the food and Grill on. It's not going to affect anything. Soon enough it'll turn black and you'll hardly even notice it. 

24 minutes ago, philpom said:

Welcome to Kamado Guru @Zelphy

If the deal was so good that you don't want to return it then you are obligated to deal with the small spots of missing porcelain. 

If it was me I would make sure there is no loose pieces around the damage or if there was I would clean it up and rub some veggie oil on it occasionally as I cooked on it until it was cured over.  Any kind of paint you put in there will likely just burn off.

I would guess it would be fine in the long run.  Good luck! 

10 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Like philpom said make sure there's no chips to get in the food and Grill on. It's not going to affect anything. Soon enough it'll turn black and you'll hardly even notice it. 

Thank you for the replies! I should have been more clear in my post the question of if this would lead to more damage later on somehow either through uneven heating or  accelerating rust. There aren't any chips anywhere around it and I'll be giving it a thorough cleaning before starting to use it. Looking forward to putting it to use!

47 minutes ago, Zelphy said:

Thank you for the replies! I should have been more clear in my post the question of if this would lead to more damage later on somehow either through uneven heating or  accelerating rust. There aren't any chips anywhere around it and I'll be giving it a thorough cleaning before starting to use it. Looking forward to putting it to use!

No, stop worrying about it. Once you do a few chicken/hamburger cooks it'll be covered over and even rust will no longer be an issue. At this point the inside of my KK's is like looking into a black hole and they started out basically white. 

Great deals are almost a hobby with me.  No I'm not a shop-a-holic. How did you find this deal? What was  the amount you paid?

My dad insisted on and I live "caveat emptor".

M.

3 hours ago, mike echo said:

Great deals are almost a hobby with me.  No I'm not a shop-a-holic. How did you find this deal? What was  the amount you paid?

My dad insisted on and I live "caveat emptor".

M.

The place I got it from seems to be one that buys old stock, or in rare cases buys NIB returns to WalMart. I got the Akorn Jr. for $80 NIB. I opened it to before purchasing to make sure, and it was definitely brand new which is why I'll live with the imperfections :-D.

The Jr. line has been having small blems since a year ago. Both Jr I bought and my neighbor's from Amazon had misaligned screw holes, chipped fire bowl and bent vent door. But yea at that price at being the only kamado that can be shipped free to Hawaii, i'll live with that.

My superficial assessment is that this is probably if no consequence.  You could buy some heat-resistant "stove paint" spray paint and (having covered the seals carefully ...) spritz a little on the exposed metal.  Leave the lid open to dry thoroughly and completely.  Enjoy your excellently-priced purchase.