Traeger 1300 Timberline Question

maroongoon

I know there are a few on here that have the Traeger 1300 Timberline and I was wondering what kind of pellet consumption ya'll are seeing with them. I sold my Yoder YS 640 due to it blowing through 3 pounds plus an hour set on 225. If I did a brisket on it I would spend more on pellets than I did on the brisket. I know on the Traeger Pro 34 that I had before the Yoder my pellet consumption was right around a pound per hour at 225. I am interested in the Timberline 1300 and the Ironwood 885 since they are insulated. I might look at the Pro 780 as well. 

I have the 1300 and for 225°-250° cooks it will use about 1 lb per hour, depending on the outside temps. In the winter months, it will burn about 1½ lbs per hour at those temps. I have had it roasting at 400° in the summer and it still uses less than 2 lbs per hour.

My first cook on my new 1300 last month was also very agressive - 2 briskets, 3 racks of ribs, 6 links of sausage.  Put the briskets on around 9pm the evening before at 200, programmed 4 hours of super smoke and then 200 until I woke up around 4:30am to check on them.  Upped then temp to 250 at that time.  Ribs went on around 1pm.  Sausage went on a couple of hours before dinner.  The Timberline performed flawlessly and everything was done for dinner at 6pm, although I wish I had started at a bit higher temp.  One of the briskets didn't finish until just before time to eat and I prefer to have them in a cooler for 2-3 hours.  This was basically a 20 hour cook and I used less than 20 lbs of pellets, which I was happy with.  Not exactly sure how much less as I topped off the hopper 4 or 5 hours before the end of the cook.

Here's a picture when I started the rib cook - I added the 3rd shelf for the sausage later but didn't get a picture of the full load.

IMG_0177.jpeg

With the new Timberline D2 I can average pellet consumption based on the hopper sensor.  

My last rib cook I filled the hopper up to 90% which was 22.5 lbs.  my cook was 225 for about 6 to 6.5 hours.  

I flattened the pellets let’s in the hopper to get an accurate reading.  My sensor was reading 70%

I am not sure of the % increments, however I would think that it is fairly accurate.  

So 20% pellet consumption at 6 hours with a starting weight of 22.5 lbs means I used 4.5 lbs. 

6 hours 4.5 lbs is burning less than a pound an hour.  .75 lbs an hour.  

With respect to the winter... with my original timberline models, I couldn’t really tell a noticeable difference in consumption unless it was -25+ and I was trying to cook at 500°.  

I am very impressed with the double wall steel technology.    

I’m not going to speak for anyone, however, I believe that @John Setzler changed from a yoder to a Timberline and is very happy with that decision.  

My Yoder did not go through pellets anywhere near 3lbs an hour.  I dont think it went through pellets that fast running at 400f.  Wha kind of pellets were you using?  I always used B&B blend of pecan, oak, and cherry.  All pellets are not created equal.  All types of pellets are not created equal either.  Pellets that are 100% fruit wood, for example, dont have the btu potential that fruit woods blended with oak would have.  Just sayin....

and yes.  I git rid of my yoder for other reasons and got the timberline 850.  I love everything about it better than the yoder.

John, I was using Lumberjack Ultimate blend pellets. I spoke to a big Yoder dealer near me down in Austin yesterday and he thinks it was a controller issue for the year the Yoder was made. The dealer is going to lend me one of his demo units with the new wifi controller for me to try out, he stated that I shouldn't have more than 1 to 1 & 1/2 pounds of pellet consumption at 225 with the temps that we normally have in Central Texas. I know that he is trying to make a sale but I am curious to see if it was just bad software / hardware on the controller that I had. 

• 7 months later...
On 8/26/2019 at 9:37 AM, John Setzler said:

I git rid of my yoder for other reasons and got the timberline 850.  I love everything about it better than the yoder.

Old post, but useful for me at this point. Have a huge respect for your experiences - after all, you're the one to blame for my KJ purchases! :rofl:

Anyway, what are your thoughts now almost a year later? Traeger still much better or things have evened out? Also how's the space/capacity of your 850 compared to your previous YS640?

I'm on the fence, thinking of buying a Timberline either 850 or 1300. Was originally thinking of YS640s on a comp cart, but that's nearly double the cost of Timberline 850 and would have forced me to sell the Big Joe etc. Now I'm thinking of keeping Big Joe for pizza/joetisserie/searing in volumes etc duties. Timberline for smoking and then KJ Junior for small hot & fast stuff.

3 hours ago, jlindstrom said:

Old post, but useful for me at this point. Have a huge respect for your experiences - after all, you're the one to blame for my KJ purchases! :rofl:

Anyway, what are your thoughts now almost a year later? Traeger still much better or things have evened out? Also how's the space/capacity of your 850 compared to your previous YS640?

I'm on the fence, thinking of buying a Timberline either 850 or 1300. Was originally thinking of YS640s on a comp cart, but that's nearly double the cost of Timberline 850 and would have forced me to sell the Big Joe etc. Now I'm thinking of keeping Big Joe for pizza/joetisserie/searing in volumes etc duties. Timberline for smoking and then KJ Junior for small hot & fast stuff.

I don't think the 850 has the space that the ys640 has.  But it will hold more than I'll ever need to put in it.  The yoder has received some upgrades since I had mine.  The problem it had with its electronics may have been solved now that it's running with a fireboard control system.  I don't know though.  I haven't cooked on one since then.  

Most of my problems with the yoder were not related to how it cooks.  The only issue there was that it had 40 to 60 degrees variation in the temperature from left to right.  That's not a big deal unless you are a barbecue cook who believes a few degrees one way or another is a disaster.  There was a third party add-on that fixed that problem but Yoder claims to void your warranty if you use it.  If I needed something that could handle a lot of moving around, riding on a trailer and loading in and out of competitions and catering jobs all the time I'd probably still buy the Yoder.  If I felt like 'go big or go home' was the right mantra for buying grills, I'd buy the yoder.  My ideas about the yoder vs the timberline are about like comparing a Hummer to a Land Rover.  The Yoder is tough but I'd rather ride in the Land Rover.  That's just my humble opinion...

• 3 weeks later...

I got the Timberline 1300 D2 last week. Managed to negotiate a great deal on it. Done a couple of different cooks with it so far. Works pretty darn effortlesly. Though have to say the cherry pellets are really mild. Making some pulled pork today and trying out the signature blend pellets, to see if I get more smokey flavor.